PDA

View Full Version : DANA WHARF 3/4 day on the clemente 5/4

twin22s
05-05-2014, 06:04 PM
Had my friend Indy in town from Big Bear who wanted some salty fish to take home so I took him out on the cattle boat Sunday. I'll make this an easy read by just covering the important parts.

Light load for a weekend: 23 anglers

Rockfish: 3 keepers/4 tiny for me, 7 big/4 tiny for Indy (sanddabs were a pain)

sculpin: me: 2 keepers/3 shorts Indy: 1 keeper/2 shorts

calico: me: 1 keeper/15+ shorts Indy: 0 keepers/5 shorts.

weather was perfect, tide was moving good in the AM while we were rockfishing but kinda slacked when we came in shallow.

all in all it was a lot of fun and I was one of only 3 ppl to land a legal bass.

sculpin were caught with a crawdad lure and squid strip fished on a rock cod rig.

All my bass came on a 5" slugo sprayed with scent. I was very impressed with the action on the plastic I caught more bass than anyone on the boat 2 to 1.:Idiot:

murrieta angler
05-05-2014, 08:44 PM
Good job working the plastics.
I was taught by a very nice Hawaiian guy, years ago, on the Clemente, to use plastics as he was nailing them left and right.
I was the only one to ask how he was doing it and in no time I was bringing them over the rail....:Big Grin:
Kudos for getting Indy on some salty fish..:Wink:
Robert
<><

twin22s
05-05-2014, 10:20 PM
Capt. Jack might have been the guy you are talking about. He is also an avid largemouth bass fishermen hence the plastic preference I worked on the Clemente for a couple months as a deckhand years back too. I need to get out on the water more this year, I have mostly been shore fishing for a handful of bites a day and rarely anything to keep.