PDA

View Full Version : Are rock fish or lincod poisonous?

Loggoog
09-30-2007, 09:58 AM
I know sculpin are, but what about rocks and lings?

cappo
09-30-2007, 11:38 AM
no poison that im aware of, but careful with the lings, they got some crazy chompers

sansou
09-30-2007, 01:12 PM
Quite a few rockfish are technically poisonous, which makes sense because the majority belong to the "scorpionfish" family. Obviously, the CA Scorpionfish aka sculpin, is the worst & most known of the bunch, but many don't realize that the spines on many will also cause a little discomfort (e.g. cabezons, barber poles, tree fish...just to name a few!).

Your biggest problem with the lingcod is figuring out how to fillet it properly to get the most meat of it! Ha ha!!

DarkShadow
10-01-2007, 01:54 PM
Your biggest problem with the lingcod is figuring out how to fillet it properly to get the most meat of it! Ha ha!!

Or the awesome fight it puts up when your weight weighs more than the lingcod itself!

:roll:

one_leg
10-01-2007, 01:56 PM
Send the fillets to me. I'll eat them. I have developed an immunity.

One_Leg

sansou
10-01-2007, 03:21 PM

Or the awesome fight it puts up when your weight weighs more than the lingcod itself!

You need to go fishing with us in Mexico this winter.....you'll change your mind about that! :wink:

Funjunkie74
10-01-2007, 03:59 PM

You need to go fishing with us in Mexico this winter.....you'll change your mind about that! :wink:

Did I hear someone say ROCKFISHING IN MEXICO?!

I'm all set this year bro!! I found out that the Scopatch works miracles for me with minimum side affects!!

Kevin has been dying to catch a REAL Lingcod!!

FJ74

Ambassadorhawg
10-02-2007, 06:38 PM
Coddin' in Mexico this Winter? Count me in OR... the same at the outer Channel Islands (Ranger 85)! Let's make it a 2 DAY TRIP over some weekend...

I concur with Sansou, all rockfish have venom in their spines to some degree. Your reaction depends on your own personel level of allergic reaction.

Believe me this! If you get stuck by ANY TYPE of Rockfish, you will feel it!
It does sting...OUCH!

jerryG
10-03-2007, 12:44 AM
I always liked catching the lings that with the blue turquoise tone and when you fillet the meat is blue as well. One time my friend caught nice ling with a maroon red tone and the meat was maroon color as well. It turns white when cooked. Lings are the only fish that I have ever seen with camillion like flesh through out although most have white meat. I may be wrong but I believe that lingcod, cabazon, and greenling roe is poisonus. I'm not sure if all are posionus but I do that at least one if not all have posionus roe.

JerryG

sansou
10-03-2007, 10:10 AM
Jerry G,

Thanks! Never knew about the poisonous roe thing. Makes me now wonder which one of those three....

Personally, I don't eat the roe, but my guess is that someone on this board probably does!

SanDimasLMB
10-03-2007, 06:32 PM

Are you talking about the Colonett Trips?

sansou
10-03-2007, 06:54 PM
Nope. But I'm sure the fishing is good there too.

k3vin_kim
10-04-2007, 04:54 PM
Did someone say Lingcod?

Ambassadorhawg
10-05-2007, 04:45 PM
...YUP! LING COD!!!

As in... Ling-thing, Lingasaurus, Ol' Snaggletooth & Bottom Gator!!!

Ambassadorhawg
10-05-2007, 04:45 PM
...YUP! LING COD!!!

As in... Ling-thing, Lingasaurus, Ol' Snaggletooth & Bottom Gator!!!

fishhead
10-06-2007, 10:06 AM
cabozon roe is poisonous ..