PDA

View Full Version : Most productive species to target right now?

goodguy
05-02-2014, 07:17 AM
Hi all,
I'm likely heading up the BBL Sunday with the wife and daughter. Gonna throw some line out from shore... What's the best species to target right now? Trout, Carp, cats, bass? I'm prepared for anything... Also, if you could point me in a direction of where they might be best found.... I'll take a PM as to not blow up your spot. Also I'm a C&R fisherman...

goodguy
05-03-2014, 10:22 PM
Ok I'll just figure it out.. Thanks for the help!

SurfCityUSA
05-03-2014, 11:04 PM
I haven't fished BBL in a couple years when but I did we fished from a boat launched from the north shore public ramp. I used to see a lot of shore fishermen with pretty good access on the north short starting from the dam. We saw people catching trout which should be your best species right now from shore. But if you put an least one rod with worms you could catch anything. It can get weedy at the shore so I don't know if a bobble might be best.

Sorry nobody with more current info responded.
Good luck.
Also if you catch trout and they bleed, you might as well keep them.

goodguy
05-06-2014, 07:59 AM
caught 5 fish. no thanks to the help here...

rusn007
05-15-2014, 10:56 AM
I'm planning a trip to BBL in 2 weeks - what did you use? what fish did you catch?
Thanks

zzzfish
05-22-2014, 11:40 AM
Sorry no one responded to you earlier but you only left them 1 day for people to respond to you? That's a pretty short time frame and a lot of guys don't fish that lake. I only hit that lake once and micetails and worms seems to do the trick for the trout. I fished by the dam.

Ifishtoolittle
05-22-2014, 02:04 PM
Sorry no one responded to you earlier but you only left them 1 day for people to respond to you?

x2. Yeah dude you can't expect a flurry of people to respond if you only leave a 1 day time frame for them. Nice going on the fish. What were the 5 you caught? 5 gobies? lol.

goodguy
05-23-2014, 07:43 AM
Nothing special... Just got a carp about 3 lbs and 4 bullhead cats. One was a pretty decent size actually! Went somewhere around 1lb... Crave nightcrawlers (both inflated and not) and corn were baits of choice. Nothing special just a fun day on the lake with my wife and daughter.

dattack
05-27-2014, 01:34 AM
I went fishing today for 3 hours. I read online and from the tackle shop the hot spot was near the damn at the northshore. I got there and had one total bite mainly fishing for trout but i lost it 4 feet away from the shore. It must have been at least 3 to 4 lbs. A lot heavier than the trout at GVL. I am going to give it another try sometimes next week with more time.

Ifishtoolittle
05-27-2014, 01:56 AM
Nothing special... Just got a carp about 3 lbs and 4 bullhead cats. One was a pretty decent size actually! Went somewhere around 1lb... Crave nightcrawlers (both inflated and not) and corn were baits of choice. Nothing special just a fun day on the lake with my wife and daughter.

If you're into carp and the millions of bullheads at Big Bear try going for them at night. At night those fish feed like mad.

dattack
05-27-2014, 11:15 AM
If you're into carp and the millions of bullheads at Big Bear try going for them at night. At night those fish feed like mad.
How large are these bullheads?

DrePSP
06-02-2014, 04:39 PM
anyone hit up BBL this last weekend? thinking of going up this coming weekend. any help/tips appreciated. PM's welcome.

dattack
06-02-2014, 05:46 PM
anyone hit up BBL this last weekend? thinking of going up this coming weekend. any help/tips appreciated. PM's welcome.
all i saw was tons of boats and shoreline fishermen near the northshore damn last week.

DrePSP
06-02-2014, 06:02 PM
Did you do any fishing? Any luck

Ifishtoolittle
06-02-2014, 06:50 PM
How large are these bullheads?

4 Years ago when I last fished BBL the normal size was about 10". Keep in mind though, these fish are fat so a 10" is close to a pound (probably exaggerating). They love Nightcrawlers so I'd suggest getting a few boxes of those. Also, use a circle hook or a very long J hook as these fish are beyond greedy and will inhale the hook.

dattack
06-02-2014, 07:23 PM
Did you do any fishing? Any luck
i got to the bait shop around 5 and fish from 5:30 to 7. I had one trout close to shoreline but got off. didn't bring a net:(. Anyways, I couldn't get to the northshore damn area because i don't think with my health i can climb down the enbankment. the bait shop told me people catching there trout limit at the northshore. But it has been tough if you shoreline fish considering no one around me had a bite in 3 hours i was there.

i usually check the fishing report before i go because it gets expensive with gas.

http://www.fishhound.com/fishing-reports/big-bear-lake-ca

DrePSP
06-03-2014, 04:04 PM
Thanks. I checked his report before I posted hoping for more on here.
Hope the fishing turns around by this weekend.
It will be nice to get out of the desert into some cooler air.

Doghunter
06-03-2014, 08:16 PM
They have the "Fishing for 50K Derby" going on this weekend.
I was up there the last 2 Saturdays, this past Saturday was pretty good. We caught 5 trout and a crappie trolling, we were out on the lake for about 4 1/2 hours. When we were out 2 weeks ago, my oldest son as soon as he got his line 2 colors out he hooked onto a carp that was probably 10 or 12 pounds, he was using a Rapala and it had snagged an old line and hook that the carp had in his mouth. About 10 minutes later my youngest son had a small catfish hit a Thomas Buoyant while trolling. We trolled around for another couple of hour and didn't get any hits, until we we're bringing our lines in, to head for the launch ramp, and my oldest had a nice trout hit his Rapala.

DrePSP
06-03-2014, 09:13 PM
Thank you for sharing.
I saw the 50k derby. I'm going to do it since ill be up there with my daughter and my buddy.
I love Thomas boyants but not for trolling. Very Slow retrieve is what I found out works for me.
BBL is tricky trolling. I've had good luck 3-4 colors using needle fish. Not sure I want to go deep or shallow now.
Sounds like I need to do some experimenting. Might try drifting if trolling fails.
I made some secret trolling weapons over the weekend so I can't wait to try them out.

Doghunter
06-04-2014, 05:49 AM
We will be fishing in the 50k. Derby also, my oldest son did really good in it last year. He caught 1 of the tagged trout and walked away with 500 bucks and some new fishing gear.

DrePSP
06-04-2014, 06:11 AM
Sweet!!!
My daughter won her age group few years back with the biggest fish and won a new lead core set up and 200$ bond.
Good luck dog!
Ill be renting a pontoon from holloway marina.

DrePSP
06-10-2014, 06:43 PM
Repeat!! That's my girl

billy b
06-11-2014, 10:25 AM
Sweet!!!
My daughter won her age group few years back with the biggest fish and won a new lead core set up and 200$ bond.
Good luck dog!
Ill be renting a pontoon from holloway marina.

I believe BBLBasser had the same thing happen with his daughter. Luvit when the young uns win ... I'm partial to the charming young ladies, especially

dattack
06-12-2014, 10:28 PM
4 Years ago when I last fished BBL the normal size was about 10". Keep in mind though, these fish are fat so a 10" is close to a pound (probably exaggerating). They love Nightcrawlers so I'd suggest getting a few boxes of those. Also, use a circle hook or a very long J hook as these fish are beyond greedy and will inhale the hook.
i WAS up in bigbear today and a few people got trout on nightcrawlers near the northshore but I ended up with exactly three 10" fat bullheads. I want to see if they taste good at all.

allIdoIsfish
06-13-2014, 05:54 PM
i WAS up in bigbear today and a few people got trout on nightcrawlers near the northshore but I ended up with exactly three 10" fat bullheads. I want to see if they taste good at all.

Dattack, Hows the weed growth on the shore line right now?

dattack
06-14-2014, 03:49 PM
Dattack, Hows the weed growth on the shore line right now?ibl
Horrible. My guess is that nearer to the damn than it might be better.

GotFeesh?
06-16-2014, 10:23 AM
Hi all! I have never fished BBL and all the information you guys have provided really helps out with planning and prepping for a trip. Any tips and additional advice would gladly be appreciated. Willing to listen and learn. Thanks all and happy fishing!