PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Daiwa Luna 203 I sold is a knock-off?!

jplee3
05-01-2014, 08:35 PM
Hey guys,

So I just sold a Daiwa Luna 203 on ebay and the guy opened a case for a full refund and explained why:

"The handle on the reel is from a Luna 103, the drag star, cast control cap, handle nut, and nut retainer are all from different reels..."

Does that make sense? Here's a picture that I took of it (it's not great and is pretty much all I took):
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDUwWDYwMA==/z/NHkAAOxy0x1TSm9c/$_12.JPG

I bought it back in 2007 off a guy on Ebay and had it serviced at Youngs but they didn't say anything. Of course, I had no idea what I was getting into obviously but I guess it's possible I bought a dud on Ebay...

Anyway, what's your guys take on this? I already responded to him with a message apologizing and saying I'd be willing to refund him the full amount. My hope though is that this isn't a switcheroo or something worse...

EDIT: haha I just realized the title looks pretty funny. Anyway, I'm gonna feel really dumb if I was duped and didn't realize it till now :T

Nessie Hunter
05-02-2014, 08:22 AM
It is very easy to get a Frankenstein Reel from Ebay.
Reel Techs (like me) often put together reels from parts and sell them.
Nothing wrong with them (for the most part) Except they have a few odd parts on them.
Like changing the Rims on your car... :)
Those parts would not change the function of the Reel...
"Buyer Beware" on Ebay or any where else, if you dont KNOW the seller..

jplee3
05-02-2014, 12:58 PM
It is very easy to get a Frankenstein Reel from Ebay.
Reel Techs (like me) often put together reels from parts and sell them.
Nothing wrong with them (for the most part) Except they have a few odd parts on them.
Like changing the Rims on your car... :)
Those parts would not change the function of the Reel...
"Buyer Beware" on Ebay or any where else, if you dont KNOW the seller..

Thanks, that's the consensus I'm getting from checking around - it's OK to swap out parts when tuning up reels, etc. Anyway, I guess we'll just wait and see what the guy comes back with. My hope is that he's been fishing with it all day after filing the complaint and is loving it so much that he's gonna come back, say not to worry about it, and close out the case. LOL! One can hope...

Rooster
05-02-2014, 01:24 PM
I am betting the next thing that happens is he ask for partial refund.
A lot of buyers are doing this now and the sellers are so afraid of getting negative feedback they tend to just settle.

Stormcrow
05-02-2014, 01:35 PM
If you posted a picture of it on your auction then the buyer is shady. If he knew what he wanted to buy and saw a picture of it then if he wasn't comfortable then he shouldn't have purchased it.

Don't refund him SH**

DarkShadow
05-02-2014, 01:59 PM
If you posted a picture of it on your auction then the buyer is shady. If he knew what he wanted to buy and saw a picture of it then if he wasn't comfortable then he shouldn't have purchased it.

Don't refund him SH**

The ONLY reason I'm doing this is from my own personal experience.

The person selling my Conquest 50S said it was only used in freshwater, "as much as I know."

Turns out, the reel had corrosion, bearings were shot, and the only way I could tell was when the reel was delivered to me. You can't determine those details simply by pictures.

I was dumb enough to believe, "it was only used twice, in freshwater."

Just because you have a picture of the item you are selling does not absolve you of any details you may have left out. If the person that was selling the reel was not the original owner, that is usually mentioned in the ebay details.