PDA

View Full Version : Best knot to use with flourocarbon

The_Dude
05-01-2014, 09:46 AM
So after reading up on braided line and fluorocarbon and the advantages and disadvantages I decided it was time to switch my mono. Spooled up my reel with 20 lb firewire and use a 3 ft fluoro leader. In my last fishing session I lost a couple of lead heads purely from the sudden stop of my line when I had a birds nest. Looking at the tie end I noticed that it appeared that the knot had failed.

In reviewing more online I noticed that anglers were saying that the standard knots that people are used to tying with mono won't do the trick with the fluorocarbon.

I have watched some videos and read some knot tying sites as to what they feel is the best knot but would like to get the opinions of my fellow anglers here on the boards.

Nipple Twister
05-01-2014, 11:09 AM
Braid to Flouro: Uni/Uni

Flouro to Hook: Palomar

Haven't had a knot related failure that I can recall recently.........my two cents........

The_Dude
05-01-2014, 12:38 PM
Braid to Flouro: Uni/Uni

Flouro to Hook: Palomar

Haven't had a knot related failure that I can recall recently.........my two cents........

Thanks bud, will have to give the palomar a try

gogreeenz4
05-01-2014, 12:41 PM
+1 on palomar!!

I use the palomar on smaller baits and SD Jam on swimbaits and bigger baits

buttchaser
05-01-2014, 01:06 PM
For spectra to top shots I like using a Bob sands or the tony pena knot. Mono to hook is usually a san diego knot.

The_Dude
05-01-2014, 02:00 PM
For spectra to top shots I like using a Bob sands or the tony pena knot. Mono to hook is usually a san diego knot.

I was using a variation of the San Diego knot with my lead heads when I watched them fly in the wind and right to the bottom of the drink :LOL:

gogreeenz4
05-01-2014, 02:39 PM
I was using a variation of the San Diego knot with my lead heads when I watched them fly in the wind and right to the bottom of the drink :LOL:

what knot would you tie for a hudd or line thru?? ive never had an issue with my jam knot holding!!! knock on wood

JL
05-06-2014, 07:00 AM
Palomar tying leader to hook or lure. Best. Learned about Palomar like 7 years ago. Fishing both fresh and saltwater never a failure and it is very easy to tie. Even in rough water the knot can be tied fast and holds. Some use double Palomar for even more strength in the knot. Being of the senior generation it was getting difficult to tie knots that required a lot of wraps. No problem with the Palomar. Tight Lines and God Bless.

jaggerbub
05-06-2014, 07:55 AM
Bob Sands knot : Braid-Leader
Palomar : To hook or lure

gogreeenz4
05-06-2014, 09:01 AM
im not a braid to leader guy but a lot of people i fish with that do run braid to fluro use the albright knot....

what do you guys like more the bob sands or the albright?

lazyfisherman
05-06-2014, 10:08 AM
Check out the slim beauty for mono to braid connection. Very small profile and easy to tie, especially if you're on a moving boat. I mainly used albright before this, but it's hard to tie while the boats moving. The Tony Pena knot is also great and easy to tie. Only knot I use for mono is Palomar.