PDA

View Full Version : Couple of questions for you pro tubers out there

srsnow
09-29-2007, 10:55 PM
I am starting to get back into fishing after sevral years away and am very intrested in a tube. But I was wondering how hard it was on your kness/legs. I have had 2 diffrent surgeries on my leg and still have a plated bolted to my shin because of this walking tends to annoy it which means I can't fish from shore very well or at least not like I like to which is staying mobile. So I was thinking a float tube would be cheaper and easier to store than a boat. Any info you guys could share with me would be awesome. And I did think about a toon but they seem to be almost as much as a small used boat.

tacklejunkie
09-30-2007, 08:20 AM
Tubing can be rough on the legs at times.

If you need to get to your favorite spot fast, it's probably better to walk there and then launch the tube. You don't really go anywhere very fast without kicking yourself crazy. As it is, my legs already click and pop in the tube without any leg/knee problems. If your not in a hurry and just want to tool around, you should be OK, but get some good fins and don't skimp on them, as this can help make it easier on you.

Windy days might also give you a good workout while trying to stay in one spot or kick against the wind.

eldo69
09-30-2007, 09:19 AM
sspecially in saltwater because ur always battling the current

Socal Bassman
09-30-2007, 10:15 AM
I've got a bad knee, but it hasn't bothered me when tubing. It hurts like a mofo though, after a few hours fishing on shore or off the dam though. One thing to avoid is really long dive fins. They have a lot of power in them indeed, but you can at times feel it in the knees. Not much though.

CatchthatTrout
09-30-2007, 11:06 AM
I have a replaced left knee (two years in Oct.), a bad right knee and a hip that'll need to replace in the near future.
I've tubed as long as 5 hours continuous without pain in my knees.

Of course I really feel it later in the evening and next day, but a few Motrin and I'm ok.

Good luck to you.

Skyler
09-30-2007, 11:54 AM
If you have a good kicking technique, it really doesn't affect the knees nearly as much as the hips and ankles. One piece of adviece I'll give is don't push it too hard. A steady relaxed long stroke kick will cover just as much water as a furious flurry of power kicks. And you'll have energy left to fish for the whole day.

vanillagurilla
09-30-2007, 04:09 PM
my knees start to bug me but im usualy in the water for 10+ hours. i would look in to a pontoon!

srsnow
10-01-2007, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I will have to start looking at tubes but I think I'm leaning towards the Fish Cat 4. That seems to be a good one for the price. I already have the fish finder to put on it I got the Humming bird Piranaha max 215 for using on rental boats, just need to figure out how to mount it now. I need to wade through all the pimp your tube post everyone has made in the past.

Socal Bassman
10-01-2007, 09:09 PM
Is your fishfinder the portable one like bassguy has? If so, it might be a little tricky to mount it on the FC4 since they don't leave you much space in front of the cargo pockets to work with. I just added a fishfinder to my FC4 using a RAM mount and PVC. Other than the lack of space I mentioned, the FC4 has proven to be great craft.

srsnow
10-01-2007, 11:16 PM
Yeah its the portable one. I have been looking at pics of how people are mounting them but mine doen't have a base that would it self well to mounting so I need to figure something out.

sonarbp
11-06-2007, 07:43 AM
sspecially in saltwater because ur always battling the current

Not totally true eldo!!!! if you plan it right you can do what we salty tubers call "split the tide"......it is very productive and in alot of ways even easier than tubin freshwater!!!!!

BakoBassin
11-06-2007, 08:14 AM
If you're not in good shape, you'll feel it the next day if you do a lot of kicking.

tacklejunkie
11-06-2007, 08:27 AM
If it's a portable finder with a stand up base, you can simply set the screen in the FC4 pocket. Mounting the transducer should be the only thing to worry about..

bassguy
11-06-2007, 09:41 PM
srsnow,

I will chime in with my opinion on leg injuries and a fish finder. First off, I have a slight tear in my menicus on my left knee, which causes pain when I make a quick lateral move, but does not cause any discomfort while tubing. My biggest issues while tubing is cramping in my calves after kicking for long periods of time.
Second, I own a Creek Company u- boat 2000, and use a portable Piranah Max 215. After looking at SoCals fc4, it would be extremely difficult to mount this unit in a logical location, unless you can fabricate a mount like SoCals. I would suggest getting a tube which has space in front of the pockets, a Caddis Navigator, u boat 2000, or Outcast Prowler, depending on your price range. While fishing you don't want to strain to view your fish finder.I will post a pic of mine, so you can see how its mounted. Hope this information helps. Hope to see you on the water soon.
[attachment=0:879f5]ff1.JPG[/attachment:879f5]

Ronira
11-07-2007, 03:56 PM
Oh Bassguy, you just wanted to show off your fish. LMAO :P

tacklejunkie
11-07-2007, 04:08 PM
Oh Bassguy, you just wanted to show off your fish. LMAO
Damn, I would too if I had a fish picture worthy of showing off like that :lol:

bassguy
11-07-2007, 05:15 PM
Hey Ronira...

I have to live in the past, since that was the last fish I have caught. I definitely was humbled last week in the windy conditions. Can I help it if the fish happens to be in the same pic as my fish finder? Just trying to help out a fellow fishermnan, maybe a little incentive also...LOL.

Ronira
11-07-2007, 06:32 PM
I don't blame you bro, good looking fish to be sure. I know what you mean about last sat, I still can't wash the skunk smell off me.