PDA

View Full Version : Trout still chewing at the Vine.

etucker1959
04-27-2014, 05:34 PM
Got a call from a buddy of mine who wanted to entertain an old friend to some fishing. They had an open mind to anything that was biting. It was more of a process of elimination of what wasn't biting. The Vine gives you many options, trout, catfish, bass and crappie. My friend Frank who works in a tackle store has been killing the bass at Irvine. So we got all prepared to do a little bass fishing. We heard some unfounded rumors that the trout season was coming to an end. A quick check found out that was far from the truth, so we were all prepared for both. My friend Jared likes to anchor up and bait and wait for trout. However, I've been telling him for 2 years now how Irvine lake is a trollers dream.

Well we started off fishing in between the two white buoys at the end of trout island. Mice tails were our bait of choice, we got hit almost immediately after the anchors went down. The problem was the WIND!!!!!!! We were in a pontoon boat, but it would drift pretty fast even with 4 anchors down. The fish weren't very far past those buoys, so when the fish stop biting it was a matter of picking up the anchors and move back to the spot. That gets old really quick, so now I had my excuse to do some trolling. I have what I think is the number 1 trolling lure for that lake, Tormentors by Abu Garcia. Sorry folks but you can't buy them any more, but Diawa makes a pretty good knock off. Jared's friend wanted to use one of his lures so I recommend a Kastmaster. Trolling to me is find the fish and keep going over them. That wasn't too hard today, I knew they weren't much past those white buoys and they stocked them at the launch ramp. So it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the fresh planter's were between the launch ramp and the white buoys, so that was our trolling pattern. Long story short we only had 1 pass we didn't hook a fish. In a short period of time, it was full limits of trout in a Gale storm of wind. We could have tried for the bass, but that seemed like more work then it was worth. As the old saying goes, "the fat lady has not yet sung at Irvine Lake for trout." In reality, she hasn't even tried to clear her throat yet!!!!!!!!

hookerz
04-28-2014, 10:05 PM
Got a couple dinks today. The water temp went from 67 to 71 today. I'm guessing that ole fat lady will be singing this weekend as the temps approach 100. Only a few people had a fish today. The water in the cove was still on but that doesn't matter since you can't get far enough back there to fish it.
I'm ready for some night time action about now. :Twisted:
tight lines...

reelgurlzfish
04-29-2014, 06:43 PM
trout stocks are ending soon there. May is sneaking up fast. id say 2 more stocks at the most.

doesnt the truck chasing get old yet for you? of course you will slay em out of the truck. to me that takes the fun out of it all knowing they are right there

etucker1959
04-30-2014, 07:08 AM
trout stocks are ending soon there. May is sneaking up fast. id say 2 more stocks at the most.

doesnt the truck chasing get old yet for you? of course you will slay em out of the truck. to me that takes the fun out of it all knowing they are right there
Actually we went on Friday, the truck came on Wed. That does bring up an interesting point about truck chasing. Sure you can get huge numbers of anything right after their stocked. But that's not what I'm all about. My favorite lake this time of year is Lake Elsinore. If the stupid wind would stop I'd go today. That lake gets no stocking at all just wild fish. However, I'm also not stupid enough to turn down a Free lunch either. I plan on catching a 100 Catfish this week and next in the local parks. It is what it is!!!!!!

To answer your first question, one of my favorite times of year to fish for trout at Irvine lake is in June. Why June they stopped planting trout for at least a month????? Because there is very few daytime fishermen on the lake except for the Bass guys. So in effect you've got the whole lake to your self even on a weekend. But they stopped planting trout you might be thinking. WHO CARES!!!!!! There is still plenty of trout in the lake they just went deep. Now I get to pull out my Leadcore line and needlefish and have a blast!!!!! I not only get to catch my limit of trout, I also catch a ton of Crappie and Bass trolling. I even one year caught a 8 lbs Catfish trolling a needlefish. Sure I like to catch a ton of freshly planted fish, but I also get a lot of satisfaction catching just 4-5 holdover or wild fish also.

troutdog
04-30-2014, 09:42 AM
Nice going ETuck! Please be sure to post up your May/June trout limits....now that the lake is a "lake" again you can put that leadcore to good use! Nice report, thank you!

TD

etucker1959
04-30-2014, 09:55 AM
Nice going ETuck! Please be sure to post up your May/June trout limits....now that the lake is a "lake" again you can put that leadcore to good use! Nice report, thank you!

TD

Your absolutely right!!!! Now that there is no west shore road anymore, it's the perfect depth for some after season lead core trolling.

Rooster
04-30-2014, 10:29 AM
Nice detailed report. Reminds me of my rod getting slammed at the masters a few years back. Trolling a 1 oz keel sinker with a firetiger roostertail. I thought I had the masters won! Turned out to be a mean 6lb kitty that thought he was a trout! :LOL: Hope 2 cya out there etucker!