PDA

View Full Version : Very small lake on Grand Avenue?

WCAngler
04-27-2014, 12:13 AM
Hello Socal Anglers,

Ever since I was young I always noticed a body of water off to the side while driving on Grand Ave... Passing by it a few days ago, I noticed a sign on the barbed-wire surrounding it... It said, "Walnut Creek Spreading Basin". At least I know what it's called now, but I don't know if it's worth fishing. I know it's illegal, but it wouldn't be the first time I've broken the law to fish a hole. I am 16 years old, and the West Covina fuzz are actually very friendly... I should know, I interviewed one for a school project, so I think I would be able to get off the hook (pun intended) easily!

I have heard rumors... Sunfish, LMB, snakehead??? Could it be true? Has anyone gone fishing there, and if so, when and how were the results?

Thanks,

~WCAngler

dday07
04-27-2014, 07:29 AM
Hello Socal Anglers,

Ever since I was young I always noticed a body of water off to the side while driving on Grand Ave... Passing by it a few days ago, I noticed a sign on the barbed-wire surrounding it... It said, "Walnut Creek Spreading Basin". At least I know what it's called now, but I don't know if it's worth fishing. I know it's illegal, but it wouldn't be the first time I've broken the law to fish a hole. I am 16 years old, and the West Covina fuzz are actually very friendly... I should know, I interviewed one for a school project, so I think I would be able to get off the hook (pun intended) easily!

I have heard rumors... Sunfish, LMB, snakehead??? Could it be true? Has anyone gone fishing there, and if so, when and how were the results?

Thanks,

~WCAngler

I have asked same question myself...my bro in law been long time ago and said more carp and catfish than anything else...have heard about sheephead and if there now bad news.Also very steep he said and prob. not worth fishing now...if go though PM me a report..i still fish a number of illegal places:Wink:

carpanglerdude
04-27-2014, 10:34 AM
Lol, at first I thought you meant Arnold Reservoir, off Grand Ave, in Diamond Bar. Another sweet looking, fenced off spot.

The one by Ikea had at least one snakehead in it. Heard it was drained at one point. Search for the term "snakehead" on this forum and you'll find a long topic describing it

WCAngler
04-27-2014, 01:25 PM
Yeah, thanks for the replies. I have been formulating a tiny plan in my head.

Sort of covering all bases: I would go and lure fish for bass and snakehead, while using catfish/carp doughbait on another rod. Any types of lures that would work good this time of year? They probably have zero pressure (if there are still fish in it) so they just might bite anything.

I don't know when I could go, but I want to go soon. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Any more information is well appreciated!

~WCAngler

old pudd fisher
04-27-2014, 05:42 PM
Yes let us know how it goes, I would pass by it every day on my way home from work and wonder about the fish in there. I seen it drained many years ago and it looked pretty deep in the middle.

Slims
04-27-2014, 06:53 PM
It used to have small bass and gills in it. Big cats and carp. Havent fishing it since early 2000s. But, I heard it got drained so I didnt feel it was worth the trespass.

WCAngler
04-28-2014, 12:03 AM
This is what makes it so mysterious! Some people have said they don't catch anything, while last summer I heard a different from someone else. I used to have a pet LMB named Spunky... I went to Petco one day to buy some crickets for him, and one of the employees asked me what I was buying them for. I told him about my fish, and what species it was... blah, blah, blah. He then told me he had recently gone to a lake behind Ikea. I had already heard about, so I question him and he said, "I went with my buddies and we caught a lot of bass. Then we saw a small school of really huge fish *extends his arms apart all the way*, but they weren't biting."

I told him about the Snakehead, but he didn't know what I was talking about... Maybe there are still some big fish in there!

Anyone know what lures are good for bass this time of year? I could Google it, but I trust you guys more...

~WCAngler

WCAngler
04-28-2014, 12:51 AM
Lol, at first I thought you meant Arnold Reservoir, off Grand Ave, in Diamond Bar. Another sweet looking, fenced off spot.

The one by Ikea had at least one snakehead in it. Heard it was drained at one point. Search for the term "snakehead" on this forum and you'll find a long topic describing it

BTW I read your post on the San Gabriel reservoir. Sounds awesome. Can you shed some light on it? Like why carp go after lures, how you got to the spot, and what type of crankbait you were using?

Sorry for all the questions, but I used to be an addict, and I cleaned up my life, and use fishing as a coping method. What's a better addiction than fishing, right?

Avoid the skunk fellow angler,

~WCAngler

murrieta angler
04-28-2014, 08:40 AM
WOW,
Haven't thought about that spot since I was in my teens, 30 years ago.
My friends and I used to fish there and catch tons of sun fish with velveeta.
Never caught anything else though, but we weren't trying for anything else.
Just was a way to kill a day in summer.
Good Luck
Robert
<><

madbass
04-28-2014, 12:49 PM
there's bass in it. fished it 4 months ago and we caught a couple of LMB. nohting big, 2-3 pounders. steep and hard to fish but its always worth a try.
let us know how you do.

thanks

WCAngler
04-28-2014, 02:43 PM
Sweet! Thanks madbass, I will try it soon. What did you catch them on?

~WCAngler

SpinnerBaitKing
04-28-2014, 02:53 PM
Don't even waste your time. It was dry for several years in the early 2000s. You'll probably find mosquito fish because the DFG has to put those in any body of water. The best spot to "trespass" is the reservoir pit adjacent to the Irwindale Speedway. Go at night and be ready to catch some big bass, crappie, catfish or gills.

WCAngler
04-28-2014, 03:48 PM
Don't even waste your time. It was dry for several years in the early 2000s. You'll probably find mosquito fish because the DFG has to put those in any body of water. The best spot to "trespass" is the reservoir pit adjacent to the Irwindale Speedway. Go at night and be ready to catch some big bass, crappie, catfish or gills.

Oh... I don't know if you saw madbass's post, but he said he caught LMB there 4 months ago.

Hey madbass, you fished the one in West Covina, right?

Irwindale Speedway? Sounds cool, but I will still try the Walnut Creek Basin... I would definetly try the speedway soon too.

~WCAngler

yotataco
05-12-2014, 04:49 PM
Any luck at creek basin?

yakfu
05-12-2014, 07:51 PM
I used to fish there in my teens as well back when Jack la lanes was adjacent to it. We used to catch sunfish and small bass. Never had a problem with getting kicked out back in the day but that was a different era. For a brief time back in the early 80s someone had purchased it for a brief spell as a fishing lake...I need to find those articles and post them. Good luck anyway.

old pudd fisher
05-12-2014, 08:30 PM
I used to fish there in my teens as well back when Jack la lanes was adjacent to it. We used to catch sunfish and small bass. Never had a problem with getting kicked out back in the day but that was a different era. For a brief time back in the early 80s someone had purchased it for a brief spell as a fishing lake...I need to find those articles and post them. Good luck anyway.

I remember that as a little pay fishing hole. Didn't last but only a few months, even think it was stocked with trout that brief time. Thanks for posting that, I tell people that but they don't believe me.

yotataco
05-13-2014, 11:41 AM
Would love to read those articles. I want to try to do some fishing here since its so close to me

Oldspice
06-10-2014, 04:45 PM
Wouldn't mind hearing how this spot turns out. It is very close to me and I have always been curious about fishing it.

WCAngler
06-11-2014, 01:13 AM
I haven't been able to try it out. I have been quite busy in my community, and haven't had much time to try. I have been thinking about trying it soon.

~WCAngler

RocFish
06-11-2014, 08:04 AM
Where is best discrete place to access it?...I'd like to try it. Thanks

RocFish
05-23-2016, 06:25 AM

Btw....how much is a tresspass fine?

castle
06-16-2016, 03:24 PM
Btw....how much is a tresspass fine?

Maybe as low as 0 dollars now. may be thrown out due to all the backlog in courts.

old pudd fisher
11-24-2016, 09:59 PM
Hello Socal Anglers,

Thanks,

~WCAngler
Drove by it today its dry now.