PDA

View Full Version : Easter Sunday session Newport Harbor

The_Dude
04-20-2014, 09:47 AM
Decided to hit the low tide at Newport harbor this morning with a buddy of mine. Hit Balboa island and started walking the beachs fishing the docks.

Fished a Halloween colored 3" big hammer on a 1/4 head. Real slow day today but am figuring it had something to do with the massive amount of eel grass that was in the water.

Unfortunately didn't end up with any spotties but still had a good time out.

If anyone has any tips for fishing newport harbor for bass from the beaches I would much appreciate it. First time I have tried walking the beaches in the bay so any help would be great.

benichi
04-20-2014, 10:25 AM
I think your doing the right thing for some reason the spottie bite has almost stopped I was thinking weather but not sure whats up.. it is like this every where...

bachiboy
04-20-2014, 05:43 PM
Nice try out there. I haven't targeted spots in a long time, and when I did, it was at night, but I always seemed to do a little better in early spring and tapering off as summer approached. Maybe something to do with their spawning cycles. Maybe the bite also tapered off around the last full moon we had. Not real sure but at least you got on em for a little while there. :Wink:

Don

bones
04-20-2014, 06:03 PM
Water movement in the harbor is the key to success because it moves the bait around. Unfortunately this morning though it was too drained which can be a real problem to species that spend their entire lives in the harbor itself. When ever there is a scenario where it drains completely it moves the fish off the structure and really screws up the stability of their environment. Try fishing the harbor when the tide swing isn't so big that it remains flooded around familiar structure. A 3 or 4 ft swing is much better than a swing from 5.2 down to 0.00 . This AM it was drained too much and then the incoming wasn't that great either which probably just threw them off as far as the grey light bite goes. When I used to hammer the harbor a decade ago my buddy and I would always look for an outgoing tide with good movement to coincide with grey light or the sun downer. Even at night time but the secret is water movement.
But hey.....The vibe in the harbor is always nice and there are plenty of places to eat on a beautiful Easter sunday so....it's all good!

The_Dude
04-21-2014, 10:30 AM
I think your doing the right thing for some reason the spottie bite has almost stopped I was thinking weather but not sure whats up.. it is like this every where...

That makes me feel better about knowing the bite has dropped. It's a little rough trying to figure out if it's me or the fish.

5150fishn
04-21-2014, 04:35 PM
At least you got out. Lol
One of my customers hits it pretty regularly and says it pretty much shut down lately so its not just you.
Thanks for the report.

anchor3n1
04-21-2014, 06:42 PM
Hi Dude

sorry you didn't get too feel the rod bend from a critter at the other end but at least you got to get out there. And what a beautiful place and a gorgeous day it was. Keep at it bro!!!

Nick

one long cast
04-22-2014, 10:35 AM
Went out last Thursday and it was a good tide/water movement. drifted from the opening all the way down to the Coast Guard station. Got 1 sand bass and a lot of lizards. the bay is full of bait fish. Probably Grunion, metered tons of bait in big balls all over. Tried a fools bait ghost shrimp on a 1/4 oz lead head not a strike one. switched to mu clear with red flake 4" grub and got 3 under size flatties. Well until next time tight lines and sharp hooks.

skunked4life
04-23-2014, 11:20 AM
Dude...I have fished those waters endlessly and have had mixed results. All I can say is listen to the guys that replied above re the tidal movement. Sound advice which yielded good results for me in the past. It eliminates some variables and increases your chances of catching!

Skunked4life

youngfisherman
04-23-2014, 01:12 PM
the bite has been good lately try little balboa I always get bit there pm for more info

SP Dan
04-23-2014, 07:29 PM
I really enjoy reading all of your reports! Keep em coming! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

remington
04-24-2014, 11:03 AM
Hi Dude,

I love Halloween for checkers outside the harbor, but have much better results fishing NP harbor with other colors. Smelt is my #1 color as that is a primary food source for spotties in the harbor. I also love looking at trying to find the best looking ghost shrimp patterns I can find from other plastic manufactures. I also have had excellent days on clear with red/flake plastic. I basically throw different colors until I see what is working best, but those 3 colors I mentioned have resulted in many good outings in NP harbor. I would recommend applying some scent as well, don't glob it on as a little goes a long way...Depending on the day & tidal flow cranks & spinner baits can be deadly on spotties. I have never drop shotted Newport, but if you have some free time I would go way back on this board & look at all of Arthur's (Wingnut) posts on Newport harbor to see his drop shot rig. After looking at some of his old reports I am now looking forward to giving that a try myself.

Good luck & let us know how you do the next time out!

Kelly

smokehound
04-24-2014, 09:09 PM
If you want the best shot at spotties, switch to a T-rig. Try tossing 4" brush-hogs in green pumpkin.

3" grubs work perfectly. Pumpkinseed is a good choice.

youngfisherman
04-24-2014, 09:15 PM
smoke hound when we fishign ive only fished with you once 2 years ago lol

smokehound
04-27-2014, 10:47 PM
smoke hound when we fishign ive only fished with you once 2 years ago lolI havent even been fishing this year, except for a few times. Been busy, but i might be hitting the harbor this coming week. I only hoof it, though, so if you fish with me, that means about.. 7+ miles of walking. :P

youngfisherman
04-28-2014, 11:10 AM
I havent even been fishing this year, except for a few times. Been busy, but i might be hitting the harbor this coming week. I only hoof it, though, so if you fish with me, that means about.. 7+ miles of walking. :Phaha im down ill take my bike