PDA

View Full Version : S.W.A.T. Couple's 7-species Day on the Yak 4.12.14... Plus Bonus Report!

Tesserz
04-12-2014, 09:54 PM
Hey everyone! Jason and I took the kayak out for another test run in the harbor and had a pretty good day! We remembered having a 7-species day a while back so I looked at our old posts and turns out we had one exactly 4 years and 2 days ago on our inflatable at the same harbor, lol funny! :Envious:

Anyways, so we got in the water a little before 0700. Water was chilly and there was a slight breeze, but there was nice cloud cover and things looked promising. We were definitely quicker and more comfortable getting from his truck to peddling in the water... not quite ready for a surf launch, but getting there! :Big Grin:

After I missed a nice big bite, Jason caught the first fish of the day

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss284/Jaysuuun/photo1_zps4c7e4065.jpg

Before the next bigger fish, I was able to catch about 4-5 micro turd rollers (not pictured). I was using a 3" swimbait and Jason was using a 4". We were both getting a lot of bites, but my smaller lead head was able to fit in those tiny mouths. :LOL:

After about an hour or so, I hooked into this guy. I've missed these spotties! He put up a nice fight.

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss284/Jaysuuun/photo4_zpsd149a441.jpg

We were in a pretty good spot so we kept casting, hoping for another. Then I got stuck on something and had to break off (first of many today :Confused:). Jason's much faster at re-tying so he offered to do it for me. :Envious: Since we were still hovering over the spot where I got that spottie, I suggested he drop his lure down while re-tying my lure, *just in case*... might as well have something in the water since we were both just sitting there. I SHOULD'VE just fished with his rod, but dammit I still need to learn how to use a baitcaster. :mad:

So, of course, with his hands full and me just sitting there relaxing, he gets a hard PULL on his rod. All I hear is, "Oh sh*t, oh sh*t, oh sh*t!" hahaha. I turn around and see that he has my line in one hand, a lead head in the other, and his rod in his lap that he's holding with his elbow (our rod holders are still being shipped :LOL:). He hands me my stuff so he can land the fish. So now my hands are full and my rod's in my lap, and this fish is pulling us into a bad spot, so I dropped everything to grab the paddle to get us outta there. Since I am not coordinated at all, and had no idea how to back up and steer us with a paddle, it was a challenge. :Shocked: But luckily we made it out and he was able to land the fish and it was all worth it.

First legal of the year. :Razz: Taped out to just under 23". Released.
Since it was MY idea for him to drop his lure down, I say it's part mine. :Envious::Envious::Envious:

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss284/Jaysuuun/photo10_zps25b14ae3.jpg

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss284/Jaysuuun/photo5_zpsea85ed02.jpg

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss284/Jaysuuun/photo6_zps365f8f46.jpg

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss284/Jaysuuun/photo12_zps11e4da91.jpg

So the whole day we were getting these annoying little bites, and Jason was finally able to hook one of these guys. Pretty ambitious... the 4" swim bait was as thick as he was! 4th species and PB lizard fish :LOL:

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss284/Jaysuuun/photo13_zps13625f0a.jpg

I was able to hook a few more mini sandies here and there before getting this nice surprise. Tiny, but we got the bass trifecta and 5th species. :Wink:

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss284/Jaysuuun/photo14_zpsb580f01c.jpg

Shortly after, I finally got a nicer model sandie.

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss284/Jaysuuun/photo15_zpsff764f59.jpg

And followed up with our 6th species... A little rockfish. hehehe

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss284/Jaysuuun/photo18_zpsda27cfe3.jpg

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss284/Jaysuuun/photo17_zps6b4d1bd5.jpg

It slowed down quite a bit, the sun had come out, and we were pretty tired from peddling that we started to feel like this. :LOL:

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss284/Jaysuuun/photo19_zps5cd127a0.jpg

We took the time to try some new spots and experiment with the kayak, learning more about steering and getting more comfortable with it before calling it a day.

7th species, and first time catch/PB for me. hehehe

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss284/Jaysuuun/photo21_zpsab9c0fa1.jpg

Although Jason *technically* caught the legal :Rolls Eyes:, the pink rod was the hot stick again today. :Thumbs Up:

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss284/Jaysuuun/photo20_zps3bd9a565.jpg

Jason:
Spottie - 1
Legal Hali - 1
Lizard Fish - 2

Me:
Spotties - 2
Sandies - too many to count :Envious:
Calico - 1
Rockfish - 1
Mackerel - 1
Lures lost - 5 :Sad: I guess that legal was Jason's reward for re-tying all my lures. :LOL:

Before I go, I'd like to send a huge THANK YOU to everyone for your kayak tips and offers to help when we're brave enough to launch from the surf. We really appreciate all your support. It may take a few more outings but we're definitely getting there!

Til next time! :Fishing Catch:

***QUICKIE BONUS REPORT 4.15.14***

Went out again for a quick afternoon session from about 6-8pm and hit some of our usual spots...

First fish was a nice 16" spottie

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss284/Jaysuuun/DSC02717_zps52f9b0d3.jpg

Next up was a PB lizard fish :LOL:

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss284/Jaysuuun/DSC02719_zps4b73b567.jpg

Got a mini turd roller that shook off before Jason could snap a picture, followed by this mini calico.

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss284/Jaysuuun/DSC02720_zps49821afd.jpg

Wind picked up and it got dark, but I managed to catch this last one on the way out.
New species for me! :Razz:

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss284/Jaysuuun/DSC02724_zps5a570f4d.jpg

And that's all for now... til next time!

Tess :Fishing Catch:

Ifishtoolittle
04-12-2014, 10:01 PM
Nice job you two. That harbor has never been too kind to me in terms of numbers, and it may be because I fish with small lures. I guess it's time to supersize! lol. Enjoyed the post. Thanks! More posts I say!!!

Jaysuuun
04-12-2014, 10:07 PM
Bravo once again! I guess it helps when I'm having to steer and position the boat 90% of the time and all your having to do is reel the fish in! Yes I do credit you partially for that legal hali and it was a good thing I was the person reeling it up because you might have farmed it like like the other mystery fish. :LOL: I think Poseidon had some pity and gave me a quality fish to satisfy me for the rest of the day. :Razz: Can't wait for our Yak accessories to come in so we can cover new territory. :Wink:

IN2DEEP
04-12-2014, 11:12 PM
Congrats on your new kayak!
Sorry if this sounds like a bummer... :Rolls Eyes:
Since nobody has mentioned it, you two should be WEARING your PDF's
They are waaaay more effective on you, instead of in the back of your kayak
Invest in some comfortable ones that you don't mind wearing all the time.
From the guys that have been kayaking for a while (not me) it's not if you flip your kayak, it's when you flip your kayak and it will happen someday
Also, have an idea what it takes to right it and get back into it
Enjoy and be safe

basshole1
04-13-2014, 02:03 AM
What a terrific and enjoyable report. Nice variety of fish, looks like loads of fun!!

yakfish51
04-13-2014, 07:53 AM
Looks like a fun day on the water.

Tim

bones
04-13-2014, 01:00 PM
Awesome job out there you two. Making it look easy......can't wait to see what happens when the fishing REALLY picks up.
Best part is that this report is going to cause a mass exodus to the harbor so I can have some elbow room on the sand.:ROFL:
Heck....maybe you two will even bump into the infamous "Spotted Fever".....LOL Where has that Steve guy been anyways?

bachiboy
04-13-2014, 01:26 PM
Great to hear that you two are back in action! Love the rod Tess...very fitting. You know I played that "I don't tie as fast as you" card for a long time with my dad.:LOL: Guess he probably knew all along it was just a line. Glad Jason got some karma points out of it and scored the legal.:Wink: Looking forward to many more successful reports from you guys this year!

Don

skunked4life
04-13-2014, 03:32 PM
Sounds like so much fun! Great job out fishing the misses, Tess. Lol. Like I said in the past, the pink rod has to stop showing up in the reports; otherwise, my wifey is gonna press me to get her one!

Oh hey, Jason, I guess you did good too. You really think that is the best place to lay a jaggedy toothed legal butt? I don't want to imagine what would happen if it started snapping away. :Bug Eyes::Bawling:

Skunked4life

Jaysuuun
04-13-2014, 06:13 PM
From the guys that have been kayaking for a while (not me) it's not if you flip your kayak, it's when you flip your kayak and it will happen someday
Enjoy and be safe

I totally agree with you 100% which is one of the reasons why we've been keeping our outings limited to the harbor. As a matter of fact our PFD's are on the way as we speak. We feel comfortable enough to fish in the harbor without a PFD since there's plenty of dry land nearby and plenty of people to lend a helping hand. Heck, if bikini clad women can paddle board without a PFD, fishing without one is not any different.

As soon as our fishing PFD's are in, we plan on doing some self rescue drills in our pool before venturing out of the harbors. There are several different techniques that I've been researching and I would like to try all of them. WHEN we flip our yak we'll be prepared. :Cool:

Ghost117
04-14-2014, 03:16 PM
Woah that's some awesome action on the kayak! Great pics and awesome report :)

anchor3n1
04-14-2014, 03:38 PM
Hi Guys:

Great report. Seems like you guys have another way to make fishing as a couple fun:LOL: I'm enjoying reading your kayak fishing saga. Keep em coming.

take care,

Nick

Tesserz
04-14-2014, 08:39 PM
Bravo once again! I guess it helps when I'm having to steer and position the boat 90% of the time and all your having to do is reel the fish in! Yes I do credit you partially for that legal hali and it was a good thing I was the person reeling it up because you might have farmed it like like the other mystery fish. :LOL: I think Poseidon had some pity and gave me a quality fish to satisfy me for the rest of the day. :Razz: Can't wait for our Yak accessories to come in so we can cover new territory. :Wink:

Yes, yes, I know, steering sucks. I'm glad the controls are only in the back. :LOL: Just kidding, at least I have my trusty little half paddle... just gotta learn how to use it correctly. :Envious: And shut up, IT SHOOK OFF! :mad: I'm still too scared to take it in the surf. :Confused: But I guess if we roll, we roll. Hopefully we don't look as dumb as those guys in the YouTube videos. :LOL:

Enjoy and be safe

LOL thanks for the tip. Like Jason said, our *real* PFDs are on their way. And yes they're the comfortable kind. And of course, mine has flowers embroidered on it. :Wink: :LOL: We will definitely wear them when we venture out of the calm waters of the harbor.

What a terrific and enjoyable report. Nice variety of fish, looks like loads of fun!!

Thanks! It was a fun day... the mixed bag kept things interesting. :Smile:

Looks like a fun day on the water.

Tim

Thanks Tim. One step closer to the surf. :Cool:

Awesome job out there you two. Making it look easy......can't wait to see what happens when the fishing REALLY picks up.
Best part is that this report is going to cause a mass exodus to the harbor so I can have some elbow room on the sand.:ROFL:
Heck....maybe you two will even bump into the infamous "Spotted Fever".....LOL Where has that Steve guy been anyways?

Hahahaha, shhhh :Secret: we're creating a diversion to clear the sand for you guys. :LOL: Just trying to help our S.W.A.T. brothers out. :Razz: I dunno... it's been a while since we've seen the Spotted Fever. :Neutral:

Great to hear that you two are back in action! Love the rod Tess...very fitting. You know I played that "I don't tie as fast as you" card for a long time with my dad.:LOL: Guess he probably knew all along it was just a line. Glad Jason got some karma points out of it and scored the legal.:Wink: Looking forward to many more successful reports from you guys this year!

Don

Hey Don! I know, it's been a while. The surf wasn't producing for us lately and I don't have much patience waiting for things to heat up. :Envious: So we found this kayak at the right time... it's something new for us to learn and it brings us back to the ol harbors, for now. :Wink:

Sounds like so much fun! Great job out fishing the misses, Tess. Lol. Like I said in the past, the pink rod has to stop showing up in the reports; otherwise, my wifey is gonna press me to get her one!

Oh hey, Jason, I guess you did good too. You really think that is the best place to lay a jaggedy toothed legal butt? I don't want to imagine what would happen if it started snapping away. :Bug Eyes::Bawling:

Skunked4life

LOL Ken, didn't you just get yourself a new rod? Maybe you should get your wife one too.. in PINK!! :LOL: And ya, that hali WAS pretty close, lol, didn't even notice. I think he just wanted it in the boat so he wouldn't lose it.

Woah that's some awesome action on the kayak! Great pics and awesome report :)

Thanks! It's always nice to have a good day to balance out the not-so-good days. :LOL:

Hi Guys:

Great report. Seems like you guys have another way to make fishing as a couple fun:LOL: I'm enjoying reading your kayak fishing saga. Keep em coming.

take care,

Nick

Haha thanks Nick. It's a nice change til we start hitting the surf again. "Kayak fishing saga", I like that! :Wink: To be continued!

Tesserz
04-14-2014, 08:50 PM
Nice job you two. That harbor has never been too kind to me in terms of numbers, and it may be because I fish with small lures. I guess it's time to supersize! lol. Enjoyed the post. Thanks! More posts I say!!!

A 3" swimbait is our usual go-to in the harbors. Jason was targeting bigger fish but I was happy with whatever. :LOL:

SP Dan
04-15-2014, 04:07 PM
Hi ya Tess,

Isn't that just like newly weds :Cool: ........ always looking for any excuse to spend more :Fishing Catch: quality time together!

Luved your report and all of your responses .... you have me smiling. :Smile:

SP Dan <"))><

Tesserz
04-15-2014, 10:25 PM
Hi ya Tess,

Isn't that just like newly weds :Cool: ........ always looking for any excuse to spend more :Fishing Catch: quality time together!

Luved your report and all of your responses .... you have me smiling. :Smile:

SP Dan <"))><

Thanks Dan! Of course, any time together is quality time. :Wink: We're just lucky that both of us enjoy fishing... rather, he's just lucky that I enjoy fishing. :LOL:

ErikAllen17
04-16-2014, 07:53 AM
it's not if you flip your kayak, it's when you flip your kayak and it will happen someday

x2 on this... speaking from experience.

Wingnut
04-16-2014, 06:42 PM
What a fun session... so many species. :EyePop:
I think I'm going to try and put together a S.W.A.T. Kayak Armada session one of these days. I think we have eight or nine members who own kayaks now. :Razz:
I'll borrow JerryG's, he's got like 4 or 5 of them. :Shocked:
Soon, you two will be ready for a surf launch. :Twisted:
The S.W.A.T. Couple report never fails to put a smile on my face. :Big Grin:

sidified
04-18-2014, 12:40 PM
What an excellent report, Tess. There are some beautiful fish in your catch. Isn't it fun just to have consistent bites all day long regardless of size? (well, almost 'regardless').

And way to score on the tandem Mirage, kiddos! (Ya know, Jason, it might even out rudder duty by having Tess do all the peddling..ha) I've got the Outback and it's the greatest fun ever..

I'll not go into too much intense detail on all the pilot errors that I hope you can avoid. (at least some).. arghh.. because I'm sure you're getting expert tutoring from other SWAT Yak Attackers. Because learning by trial and error really sucks... I know all too well.. Lots of lost gear, busted rudder pins (carry extras!), downing too much ocean (not wearing pdf), wearing cotton instead of quick dry, taking a wave with the hatch open, great humiliation, etc.,etc. hahaha... :(

The surest thing I've learned, there's no way not to look dumb when it's ***-over-teakettle time. ;)

One final thought, while I'm not the guy to organize it (don't you love that copout?) wouldn't it be a lot of laughs for the SWAT Armada to spend a day on the water together? In lieu of anything that ambitious, I'd love to pal up with you two. Laughs still guaranteed.

Peddle on!
Sid

BIGRED KILLA
04-18-2014, 04:43 PM
Sweet kayak guys, maybe I'll run into you two out there sometimes.
I would ask Lt. Bones to get out there with me but he gets a little queazzy on the water. hahaha

Jaysuuun
04-19-2014, 12:30 AM

Skunked4life

Ken, I think your wife is deserving of a nice pink rod. Pawn one of your Cumara/TE setups and get it!

Wasn't thinking about my jewels at the time, but I knew I couldn't lose our yak's first legal! First of many I hope!

What a fun session... so many species. :EyePop:
I think I'm going to try and put together a S.W.A.T. Kayak Armada session one of these days. I think we have eight or nine members who own kayaks now. :Razz:
I'll borrow JerryG's, he's got like 4 or 5 of them. :Shocked:
Soon, you two will be ready for a surf launch. :Twisted:
The S.W.A.T. Couple report never fails to put a smile on my face. :Big Grin:

Let's do it! Our PFD's are in and we are "almost" ready for a surf launch. Just need to go through a few rescue drills first LOL. Cant wait to do our surf launch with our S.W.A.T. brothas.

What an excellent report, Tess. There are some beautiful fish in your catch. Isn't it fun just to have consistent bites all day long regardless of size? (well, almost 'regardless').

And way to score on the tandem Mirage, kiddos! (Ya know, Jason, it might even out rudder duty by having Tess do all the peddling..ha) I've got the Outback and it's the greatest fun ever..

I'll not go into too much intense detail on all the pilot errors that I hope you can avoid. (at least some).. arghh.. because I'm sure you're getting expert tutoring from other SWAT Yak Attackers. Because learning by trial and error really sucks... I know all too well.. Lots of lost gear, busted rudder pins (carry extras!), downing too much ocean (not wearing pdf), wearing cotton instead of quick dry, taking a wave with the hatch open, great humiliation, etc.,etc. hahaha... :(

The surest thing I've learned, there's no way not to look dumb when it's ***-over-teakettle time. ;)

One final thought, while I'm not the guy to organize it (don't you love that copout?) wouldn't it be a lot of laughs for the SWAT Armada to spend a day on the water together? In lieu of anything that ambitious, I'd love to pal up with you two. Laughs still guaranteed.

Peddle on!
Sid

Sid, I had no idea you owned a kayak. Thanks for all the tips and we will put them all to good use. We're always learning something new every time we go out...the easiest/fastest way to load/unload the kayak, steering/positioning, dealing with the wind/drift, working as a team to land fish etc. There's so much to learn and we are saving the best for last which is of course the surf launching/landing. Let's hope the S.W.A.T. Armada gets together soon to make for some fun memories.

Sweet kayak guys, maybe I'll run into you two out there sometimes.
I would ask Lt. Bones to get out there with me but he gets a little queazzy on the water. hahaha

Thanks Bigred. Tell Lt Bones to suck it up and take his Dramamine. LOL BTW nice fish. :Wink:

iLLest
04-19-2014, 12:42 AM
WHATS UP GUYS! :D
So let me get this straight, you guys bought a yak and are tearing up local harbors!?
sounds like a plan to me. By the looks of it, you guys got the hang of it already, nailing fish after fish, look at you too lol.
Thats a sweet fish count you guys got there, but really Tess, REALLY!? a frikin Mackerel? :LOL:
Only YOU would somehow manage to pull that out, hahaha. :P
It looks like a blast guys, keep tearing it up.