PDA

View Full Version : S.W.A.T. Couple First Yak Outing 4-5-14

Jaysuuun
04-07-2014, 09:36 AM
Tess and I have been wanting to get our hands on a Hobie Mirage drive kayak ever since we saw one at the Fred Hall show a couple years back. However we didn’t have the dough to shell out on a brand new model, so it got put on hold until about a couple weeks ago. I found a deal that we couldn’t pass up and it was even in the color that Tess has been wanting! LOL Since then I’ve been shining it up and doing a lot of internet research on kayak fishing/rigging. Wow so much to learn, but we had to get this baby wet so we hit the harbor for its first maiden voyage. We weren’t really there for the fish, but instead to see what kayak fishing is all about.

What we learned

1) Kayaks and wind don’t mix

2)Peddling sure beats paddling, but it’s still quite exhausting in high winds

3)It doesn’t take much to move a kayak. Even a determined little turd roller can pull you into the docks.

4) No sudden movements!

5) The pedal drive only goes forward!

6)Did I mention kayaking in high winds really SUCKS!

As far as fish, Tess had the hot stick today with 6-7 Sandies & 1 Rockfish and I was lucky enough to land 1 dink sandie. A few float tubers were out there drifting live bait for nada.

Collage courtesy of Tess

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss284/Jaysuuun/photo_zpsbec6ddae.png (http://s584.photobucket.com/user/Jaysuuun/media/photo_zpsbec6ddae.png.html)

It was a good learning experience before we start venturing out a little further. Overall it was a successful first time out. Successful meaning that disaster was averted. LOL Can't wait to see where our kayak adventures take us :Wink:

Til next time

Jason

skunked4life
04-07-2014, 09:45 AM
Nice! Tell Tess great job on the sandies! Also tell her to please focus on the yak this year. Don't need her to pull a rabbit out of her hat and show me up this year! Lol

Hey, did you get my pikachu pfd?

Ken

PTN
04-07-2014, 09:49 AM
Awesome Jason! Tell Tess I said hi. If you want to go backwards, just pull out the fins and reverse them. I went out to test some yaks at OEX on Saturday and am definitely going to pick one up if I find a good deal.

TUNAVIC
04-07-2014, 09:50 AM
Nice outing,you and your girl did great considering a first outing,just think each time you go is going to be more comfortable than the last,good times ahead!

Cya Tuna Vic

ToadsToadsOnly
04-07-2014, 01:56 PM
Congrats on the new yak guys! Hobie is the only way to go when yak fishing. When I first started kayaking I was also clueless how to rig my vessel, where to go, what to get? With 100 more questions to go with it. I had a couple friends who helped me out and figured out a lot on my own the 1 most important thing to get are ROD LEASHES. I have a bunch of friends who lost quite a bit of gear due to not having leashes. If you two have any questions feel free to call or text me and I will do my best to promptly help you out.

-Jonathan-

murrieta angler
04-07-2014, 08:47 PM
Well Hello!!
Long time, no report...:Smile:
Very cool Yak!
I am considering acquiring one as well, but still on the fence.
If I do, then you guys can show me the ropes...:Big Grin:
Hope all is well, May God Bless You Both.
Robert
<><

exfactor
04-07-2014, 09:35 PM
I want one with a 20 horse outboard lol!!!!!

tamddo714
04-07-2014, 09:38 PM
congrats on the yak. just picked up a hobie outback myself. hope to see you two on the waters some time

SP Dan
04-08-2014, 09:15 AM
Hey Jason,

What a beautiful Kayak!
Yours and Tess's patience has really paid off with a vessel that both of you can be very proud of (and it's the right color too! :Wink:).... congrat's!

I know that we will all be reading some "great kayak adventures" from the both of you very soon! :Cool:

PS ..... have you painted a name on the side of it's hull yet! Lol! :LOL:

SP Dan <"))><

Fishingdachronarch201E7
04-08-2014, 09:33 AM
Very Cool Jaysuuun and congrats to you and your wife on your guys maiden voyage.....!!!! im looking into getting one myself as well....me and the wifey are gonna check them out at OEX this weekend....cant wait...need to show her this pic so she knows its cool and wont flip over! :)

remington
04-08-2014, 09:56 AM
Great job Jason! I can't think of a better way to spend the day, I'm envious...:Envious:

Kelly

The_Dude
04-08-2014, 10:47 AM
Great job with the maiden voyage. Looking to pick up a kayak myself.

Tesserz
04-08-2014, 05:16 PM
Hey everyone! I know it's been a while since our last post, but skunk reports aren't too fun to read (or write) lol so we've been waiting for something post-worthy... luckily Jason found it on Craigslist! :LOL:

Anyways, it was a pretty fun first outing. Especially since I caught more fish... surprise surprise. :Cool: hahahah jk. I have to give Jason all the credit... for finding a good deal on the kayak, in my color :!!!:, building a kayak rack for his truck, setting us up with rod holders and leashes, and even bringing water and snacks for us. :Envious: Not to mention him steering the entire time, with the controls in the back and the paddle, in and out of docks, in the wind!! Not too shabby for our first time out. It's no wonder why I caught most of the fish... he was busy setting me up for success, as always. :Romance: hehehe

Here's to our first of many successful kayak outings! And hope to see you fellow kayakers out on the water sometime! :Fishing Catch:

Nice! Tell Tess great job on the sandies! Also tell her to please focus on the yak this year. Don't need her to pull a rabbit out of her hat and show me up this year! Lol

Ken

What's up Ken! Although the kayak is fun and we plan on utilizing it a lot this year, I've really been wanting to poach your spot. SOON! I'm still waiting to join the 30" club... let's hope i get a 33" rabbit out of your hat. :Envious:

Awesome Jason! Tell Tess I said hi. If you want to go backwards, just pull out the fins and reverse them. I went out to test some yaks at OEX on Saturday and am definitely going to pick one up if I find a good deal.

Hi Peter, definitely let us know if you get one! :Razz:

Well Hello!!
Long time, no report...:Smile:
Very cool Yak!
I am considering acquiring one as well, but still on the fence.
If I do, then you guys can show me the ropes...:Big Grin:
Hope all is well, May God Bless You Both.
Robert
<><

Robert! Let us know if you get one for sure... if not, we need to hit the sand at least once this year. Maybe when our old spot heats up. :Wink:

Hey Jason,

What a beautiful Kayak!
Yours and Tess's patience has really paid off with a vessel that both of you can very proud of (and it's the right color too! :Wink:).... congrat's!

I know that we will all be reading some "great kayak adventures" from the both of you very soon! :Cool:

PS ..... have you painted a name on the side of it's hull yet! Lol! :LOL:

SP Dan <"))><

Hey Dan, we're hoping to get comfortable enough to be able to post some great adventures! But for now we'll stick to the harbor until I don't freak out when Jason makes a sudden move lol.

Nice outing,you and your girl did great considering a first outing,just think each time you go is going to be more comfortable than the last,good times ahead!

Cya Tuna Vic

Definitely! I can't even count how many times my stomach dropped when Jason would move around in the back. But like everything else, just gotta get used to it with practice. :Big Grin:

Congrats on the new yak guys! Hobie is the only way to go when yak fishing. When I first started kayaking I was also clueless how to rig my vessel, where to go, what to get? With 100 more questions to go with it. I had a couple friends who helped me out and figured out a lot on my own the 1 most important thing to get are ROD LEASHES. I have a bunch of friends who lost quite a bit of gear due to not having leashes. If you two have any questions feel free to call or text me and I will do my best to promptly help you out.

-Jonathan-

Thanks Jonathan! You're probably the only one we know that has a kayak, haha, but Jason's been doing tons of research and filling me in on everything he's learning. It's gonna take some time, but our goal is to get to your level!! :Envious:

Very Cool Jaysuuun and congrats to you and your wife on your guys maiden voyage.....!!!! im looking into getting one myself as well....me and the wifey are gonna check them out at OEX this weekend....cant wait...need to show her this pic so she knows its cool and wont flip over! :)

Flipping over is my worst fear so I can relate to your wife! We tried one out on the water a few years ago and being able to sit in it and feel the stability first-hand really helped ease my fears. Flipping over is always a possibility of course, but trying it out beforehand made me feel comfortable enough to get one of our own. :Smile:

Jaysuuun
04-08-2014, 09:17 PM

Ken

No pikachu. I got spongebob instead. HAHAHAHHA LOL

-Jonathan-

Thanks for the support Jonathan. I did read about the importance of leashing EVERYTHING down during my internet research. The leashes that I originally made didn't work out. They were too long and got tangled up in everything. I found an article on DIY leashes and since then have redesigned them.

The top is the new one. Cost under $3 to make :Big Grin:

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss284/Jaysuuun/photo1_zps30f571ae.jpg (http://s584.photobucket.com/user/Jaysuuun/media/photo1_zps30f571ae.jpg.html)

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss284/Jaysuuun/photo2_zps81c4d14d.jpg (http://s584.photobucket.com/user/Jaysuuun/media/photo2_zps81c4d14d.jpg.html)

I still need to get some rod holders and would also like to get some turbo fins to help us move around a little easier. I'll definitely get in touch with you when we get our yak a little more rigged up. It would be fun to see Tess hooked up to one of those homeguarders. LOL :Wink:

I want one with a 20 horse outboard lol!!!!!

LOL me too! I want one that says Boston Whaler on the side too. hahaha But for now the yak works for us. Minimal maintenance and low costs :Wink:

congrats on the yak. just picked up a hobie outback myself. hope to see you two on the waters some time

Cool! Hope to see you out there!

Great job Jason! I can't think of a better way to spend the day, I'm envious...:Envious:

Kelly

Thanks. It was a beautiful day until the winds rolled in.

Great job with the maiden voyage. Looking to pick up a kayak myself.

Thanks. I'm glad it was a success. There's so much to learn in the kayak fishing world. I had no idea.

bachiboy
04-09-2014, 01:32 AM
Now that makes me wanna go out and get a yak...if nothing else, to follow you guys around and hear the trash talkin throughout the session!:ROFL: Sweet ride guys! I'm sure you'll be tearing it up out there as always. Go easy on em Tess!:Wink:

Congrats!
Don

jerryG
04-09-2014, 08:32 AM
You have some kayak veterans on the team to help you out. I can't put enough emphasis on leashing everything.. Leash it or loose it.. A few tips on the wind..If at all possible avoid the wind by launching in the early am when the wind is usually a non factor and finish your trip as the wind starts to pick up. When your paddling (peddling) against moderate to strong wind you don't want to point the kayak straight into the wind instead you want to cut it at an angle like a sailboat and you will find it a lot easier to make headway.. If your drifting too fast to fish your spots try using a drift chute will help slow down your drift.

The biggest challenge you will face is learning how to launch and land in the surf with the landing being hardest to learn for most... Just remember in case of kayak fishing the greatest challenge offers the greatest rewards.. Let me know when your up for trying the beach launch and we will plan a trip.. I'm sure Jonathan will be down and we'll try to get the other SWAT kayak guys to come.. I'll bring my fleet if a couple of the guys want to join us. We'll have a good time..

JerryG

bones
04-09-2014, 09:41 AM
Awwww...Isn't that just DANDY :ROFL:

I can hear it now the first time you guys roll !
It's already YOUR FAULT JASON :ROFL:
I can hear Tess yelling at any fool who is going over the allowed 5mph in the harbor and sending wakes your direction :ROFL:

So...Who gets to steer? Two horse power is a lot of ponies to handle !
Guess I have to break out the good old Great White Shark fin helmet and snorkel towards you two real soon!

All kidding aside...It's awesome to see SoCals best looking fishing couple back on the water in style again and I'm really looking forward to seeing your inspiring reports this year. No way are you two gonna let that yak get dusty if I know you two. Just make sure to keep your distance from those friendly double headed 1000 lb seals in NPH! (I'd suggest a paintball gun)

God bless and be safe out there!

Mike

Wingnut
04-09-2014, 06:46 PM
Very nice! Great to see a report from the S.W.A.T. Couple again. :Big Grin:
I'm sure it's only a matter of time until the two of you will be tearing it up. :Big Grin:
S.W.A.T. is going to have a kayak armada out there soon... :Twisted:

I remember the first time I fished on a kayak. I had three veteran kayak anglers with me that day helping me, Jonathan (ToadsToadsOnly), Jerry (JerryG) and Chris (Tr0psn4j).
That first launch from the surf was kinda nerve wracking... :Surprised: I had a flawless launch and landing that morning, but two out of the three veterans that was teaching me did roll their yaks during launch. :Big Smile: I won't say who they were... lol :Secret:
I was considering getting a kayak and been looking at a Hobie Outback, but it will probably sit there collecting dust with my lack of fishing time... :Neutral:

Really looking forward to seeing more reports from you two... from the yak or from the sand. :Razz: