PDA

View Full Version : My FC4 meets technology. HOOAHHH!!!

Socal Bassman
09-29-2007, 01:08 AM
Well, after months searching and researching different fishfinders. My search ended today at BPS. After talking to a couple tournament guys I know plus the input from others on this board, I decided to pick up a unit which fell right in the middle. Besides, I couldn't convince wifey enough to justify the $500 price tag of the Lowrance X510c :lol:.

Thought about taking the stepped down version of Lowrance... An Eagle. but I wasn't impressed with their picture quality. Even for their color units. So I settled for my second option, which is the Lowrance X96 :D. After I got home, I opened it up and went through the manual. For an econo model, this thing sure is packed full of features which are usually found in their high end models. Here are a couple pics.

http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/X96_1.jpg

http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/X96.jpg

Z-TUNAKILLER
09-29-2007, 10:16 AM
Hey Now Socal, SWEET...very nice finder ...... you get that thing all mounted and figured out, then you can give me a lesson on how those f---ing things work? I've got my eye on a humminbird matrix/gps, its new old stock and has warranty, its last years model and retailed for over $699.99 and as always I'm looking for a deal on eBay. I'll let you know if i pull out a good deal.

Good Luck, setting that FF up, i know you'll be on the water testing it right after, can't wait to see all the fish pic's you post, now you really have a advantage on those lmbass.

GETTTTTTTTTTTTEEERRRRRRRRRRRR-DONE

Z

FISH ON !

Socal Bassman
09-29-2007, 12:27 PM
Yeah, those Humminbird Matrix are nice units. I was checking one out at the Sport Chalet in Chino. The Matrix 17 I think it was and it was GPS capable. I just stuck with Lowrance because I'm more familiar with them from fishing tournaments on other people's boats. Plus playing around with their emulators that you can download off the Lowrance website has helped me get a feel of how each function works.

Ronira
09-29-2007, 02:23 PM
Cool stuff, can't wait for my bottom line FF to die so I can get one that's gps capable. It would be sweet to make a structure log of the lakes.

valhalla_1_2000
09-29-2007, 06:15 PM
Nice, but I can't believe you let your wife tell you what to do.

See Chris Fish
09-29-2007, 06:45 PM
Ah valhalla, words of wisdom.
Happy wife, Happy life. :lol:

SoCal, nice pick up. Can you post some shots when you get the finder installed on the rig?

Chris

tacklejunkie
09-29-2007, 08:33 PM
Jeez! you mean the fish finder in your head isn't enough as it is?! :lol: :wink:

Looking forward to see your results dude. Been thinking I might as well add more weight to my ride and get a finder one of these days. Seems like Bassguy was able to hit a fish 'er two with the finder today. Sure would help with the deeper, less active fish.

Socal Bassman
09-29-2007, 10:04 PM
Jeez! you mean the fish finder in your head isn't enough as it is?! :lol: :wink:

Looking forward to see your results dude. Been thinking I might as well add more weight to my ride and get a finder one of these days. Seems like Bassguy was able to hit a fish 'er two with the finder today. Sure would help with the deeper, less active fish.

LOL. Hey TJ, I used to joke around and say "who needs a fishfinder when I'm finding and catching fish just fine." Guess you can say I was just tired of looking at a stock tube and need a project to work on. Just bought some PVC today, so I guess I'll be messing around with it to see what I can come up with for a mount.

rcfb73
09-30-2007, 01:04 AM
nice finder...mind if i ask how much you paid for it? im looking for a finder to deck out my NAV II for this upcoming trout season......and just overall deck out my tube...

Socal Bassman
09-30-2007, 07:32 AM
nice finder...mind if i ask how much you paid for it? im looking for a finder to deck out my NAV II for this upcoming trout season......and just overall deck out my tube...
Here you go.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... 00_200-1-1 (http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_73372_200001001_200000000_200001000_200-1-1)

tacklejunkie
09-30-2007, 07:33 AM
Guess you can say I was just tired of looking at a stock tube and need a project to work on.

Don't blame ya at all! I love to modify. An FC4 with a finder could be a deadly combination :twisted: Just one problem, now your making me want one :lol:

Ronira
09-30-2007, 07:52 AM
You gonna mount your transducer on a pvc downleg or what SoCal. That's going to be my next project for the rontoon. Something that will retract to glide over weedbeds for the transducer and a place to mount the finder on my toon.

Socal Bassman
09-30-2007, 08:57 AM
Well, I've already got the pole holder part set up similar to Rezjrprod's, but it looks like I'm gonna have to scrub my plan for a shelf. Outcast sure didn't leave enough space in front of the pockets for us tinkerers (is that a word).

Ron, yeah I'm gonna have the transducer on a PVC downleg. Since I have to dump my original plan, I'll have to figure out another way. Mounting a finder to a toon shouldn't be much of a problem. You can get a RAM mount with a U bolt and clamp it onto the frame. The transducer part is a small hurdle.

Hey TJ, I already saw it coming :lol:. I was just joking with the wife yesterday saying: "Since it only took a couple of people to get a tube or toon, now everyone's getting one. Now let's see how many people buys a finder for their rides." :lol:

tacklejunkie
09-30-2007, 09:18 AM
Have a few bucks coming my way soon from some old hobby items I put up for sale on another site.
Hopefully, I should have enough for my trolling motor and maybe enough left over for a fish finder.

Indeed, it looks as though you found the nice one in the bunch for that price range. Did you happen to see any other models that looked worth while for any less? My smartcast doesn't exactly cut it for boat fishing..
(anyone want a smartcast wrist watch fish finder for shore fishing?)

Socal Bassman
09-30-2007, 04:18 PM
Did you happen to see any other models that looked worth while for any less? My smartcast doesn't exactly cut it for boat fishing..
(anyone want a smartcast wrist watch fish finder for shore fishing?)
It depends on what you want out of the fishfinder. If you just want to know depth, water temp., and to locate structure, the Eagle 168 ($79.99 at BPS) would be a good choice. I read a lot of good reviews about that unit too.

For a little more detail, you'll need a unit with at least 320 vertical pixels. Humminbird has a couple nice looking units below $200. There's also the Eagle 320, which I think is just like the X96, it just has less bells and whistles.

tacklejunkie
09-30-2007, 06:29 PM
It depends on what you want out of the fishfinder. If you just want to know depth, water temp., and to locate structure, the Eagle 168 ($79.99 at BPS) would be a good choice. I read a lot of good reviews about that unit too.

For a little more detail, you'll need a unit with at least 320 vertical pixels. Humminbird has a couple nice looking units below $200. There's also the Eagle 320, which I think is just like the X96, it just has less bells and whistles.

I knew you'd have had your eye on another unit or two :lol:

So far, I think I like the one you bought best from what I've seen on the web.
That HB Matrix 17 was just discontinued and replaced with the 727. Thats one thing about humminbird, seems like they are on to the next product rather quickly..

Still have to wait a bit for some extra duckets, But I forsee a FF in my near future 8) Thanks for sparking the thought bro :lol:

Also have that trolling motor and new waders on the list..

Z-TUNAKILLER
09-30-2007, 07:28 PM
tj, keep an eye on ebay, i just won a Matrix/GPS , its last years model that was replaced by the 97, i looked on HB's web-site and all the software up grades and accessories are still available for it and at a 65% savings, i think i can live with it, as soon as i get it and figure out how to mount it, i'll post a pic.

socal, WTF... lets see that........... BAD BOY ?

Z

FISH ON !

Socal Bassman
10-01-2007, 09:24 AM
Yeah, I had my eye on several units actually. Then it was just a matter of the process of elimination.

Sorry, didn't have much time to work with it this weekend Z. Plus, I'm still thinking of how to mount the damn thing :lol:. The 4 pole holder was the easy part. I just need to cut out the slits in it and it'll be done. The downleg for the transducer mount is also ready. I'll dig around in the garage again and see what I can find to fit in the limited space in front of those pockets.

BTW, congrats on the HB. Gotta see that bad boy on your toon. Keep us posted.