PDA

View Full Version : does high vis line scare away fish?

youngfisherman
04-04-2014, 01:27 PM
hey I have a quick question im respooling my reels and was just wondering will green high vis line scare away the spotties and halis will they still bite I usually use 20 or 30 lb braid with a 10 lb to 15 lb leader I need to know before I waste line

SP Dan
04-04-2014, 01:55 PM
hey I have a quick question im respooling my reels and was just wondering will green high vis line scare away the spotties and halis will they still bite I usually use 20 or 30 lb braid with a 10 lb to 15 lb leader I need to know before I waste line

Hi ya youngfisherman,

I Imagine that just about anything you could throw at fish :BFish: will work.

Personally ... I use Diawa Samurai #55 green braided 8-carrier line, no leaders or swivels ... tied straight to the LC110 with lots of success. Simplicity.
I know others that won't fish using braided line and only use straight #15 - #20 mono (no lighter) and swear by it ... tied straight to the LC110 with lots of success. Simplicity.

The only line shy species that I've come across so far is the Corbina ...... one time I had one curious enough to get too close to my LC110 and it got it's self foul hooked. Corbina on the LC ..... Oh :LOL: yeah BABY!

I'd say ........ try out new and different set ups and fish with the one that gives you the most confidence!
Remember ..... "simplicity"! The fewer the connections and knots the fewer chances of a gear failure. IMBO :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

benichi
04-04-2014, 01:56 PM
I have not notice any difference. I use hi vis on my drop shot rig and it works great. but i use a 7 - 10 foot leader

SP Dan
04-04-2014, 07:20 PM
On my drop-shot rig I use 15 lb Izor XXX line straight down thru the hook to the sinker. :Big Grin: With much success.
I would never tie an LC110 to any mono line lighter than #15.

On one Sat I :EyePop: beached 15 short halibut and on the very next day; Sunday, I :EyePop: beached 12 more and decided to stop.
I got up and left the AO. I wanted to get away from all of the hungry youngons and try to find their much big brothers.

Needless to say ... my set up functioned perfectly. I have a lot of confidence in my gear and in all of my different set ups.

Simple example ..... not everybody fishes with the exact same rod or reel, or tensions the drag the same, or fishes with the same length rod or use the same rod tip action. :Cool: To each their own. You've just gotta experiment and try things out for your self.

SP Dan <"))><

titos334
04-05-2014, 12:23 AM
Depends what technique you go with, sounds like you're fishing bays. For spinners and Bama rigs I tie straight to braid and have caught lots and lots if spotties and Halis. For single baits and cranks I like to use a leader, they look at it a little more and it makes the difference. If you always use a leader the line color makes 0% difference, I've used the rainbow and caught fish on all with a leader.

bones
04-05-2014, 12:12 PM
To keep it simple...the more stealthy you are...the better!
Fish that have been caught before like spotties can be very line shy and Corbina aka "Spookis Maximus" has also developed a reputation for being line shy. It also kind of depends on water clarity. A reaction bite is different than an enticed bite.