PDA

View Full Version : Engine Rust Repair. Seized * Updated *

Fishin4Daze
04-26-2007, 10:12 PM
This worked great for my Johnson Seahorse 5.5 hp. Here are the instructions. Don't throw out that old rusted and seized engine.
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/565148/engine_rust_repair_siezed/

trouttroller
04-28-2007, 09:29 PM
I just had a motor that I took in to have worked on that was frozen, the place said it wasn't worth fixing so I let them keep it. I was I had seen this sooner. Oh well its good information. thanks for posting it.

Nessie Hunter
04-29-2007, 08:52 AM
Pretty low end quick (Temporary) fix????

That rust will pit the crap out of cylinders and rust out the rings BAD......

If your tearing it down that far, why not do it RIGHT??????

Another $25 to $50 and you could have a total rebuild.... Rings, hone cylinders, inserts..

Tight and right.. :thumb:

POSTAL
04-29-2007, 11:02 AM
I call bs .I have been working on motors for 17 years and using a lube is a way to free a stuck piston(usually just to get it out and rebuild) but its not that easy ,and it wont magically restore your motor like that ..Rust on the crank bearings is what will usually cause a motor to fail It might start up if there is enough compression left but will not last long if last at all .If the cylinder is rusted like that you sure can bet the crank & bearings are rusty .And your compression will suffer if rusted that bad even if you dont break a ring in the process .This is no miracle process so dont be upset you didnt try it .They forgot to add the cost of all the parts and gaskets to get it back together like nessie said little more and it can be new not a ghetto fix if that .. :wink:

Fishin4Daze
05-01-2007, 01:47 PM
This method is perfect for a siezed motor. You could still tear it down to hone and replace rings. (Although I Didn't, I was looking for a cheap fix, and I just re-used the original gaskets. I have not had any problems.)

How would you take a siezed motor apart? Bang and bend the pistons beating them out? Taking the chance of damaging the piston or the cylinder wall. No thanks. I will stick to my method.

Thanks for you comments and input.

Fishin4Daze
05-01-2007, 01:53 PM
Again, it was a simple cheap fix, but If you are looking for a life-long fix then you could sink 3 or 4 hundred dollars replacing rings and such. Most of the older motors you cannot find the bearings for, so you could either toss it, or fix it with a can of lube and run it till its dead. What do you got to lose? $2.00?"

Fishin4Daze
05-07-2007, 11:32 PM
*Bump*