PDA

View Full Version : Made it into the SWAT Brotherhood - Mission Accomplished!

Raneman
03-31-2014, 10:34 PM
Hello everyone! In case you guys missed it, I've been on a mission to complete my S.W.A.T challenge. I merely missed what I thought might be an induction halibut by a whole 1/4 of an inch! 27 3/4" to be exact. Oh what a feeling that was, but I was still stoked to catch a fish like that. I've been really busy with work and family so I only have time to fish the weekends.

March 22, 2014

The hard part about fishing weekends only is the tides, conditions, etc. aren't always what you want. Well, Peter (PTN) hits me to up and he's going to take me to a new beach to us first thing in the morning. Tides were going to be dropping in the zeros and waves were projected at 2-3 feet. Not really what I like to fish but he got some intel that this AO is a good low tide spot. We hit the sand and sure enough we see some pretty nice structure right away. I make my way south and Peter heads north. About 30 minutes in I pick off my first fish of the morning.

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h355/SaiyajinxRC/Fishing/060E066F-6AF7-4373-978A-86F3DA641CCE_zpskhucy54h.jpg (http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/SaiyajinxRC/media/Fishing/060E066F-6AF7-4373-978A-86F3DA641CCE_zpskhucy54h.jpg.html)

Nothing much was happening so I head back to where Peter and I split up. I can see in the distance that he hasn't strayed far from our original spot. It became obvious why he was still here because he was working a boiler rock with some great structure around it. I get within yelling distance and ask what's going on? He had seen a really big white sea bass jump clear out the water! So I joined in on the fun and was trying to cast toward that rock but we both couldn't quite make it. We make our way into deeper water to get closer to the rock. I'm a short dude so I'm having to jump with the waves just to keep my head above water. Well I think I may have moved in too deep. A bigger wave moves in, I turn my back ready to jump, then it felt like this wave karate kicks the back of my legs and plants me on my arse! Now I'm soaked, I get up and pull my face mask off to spit out a mouth full of water. I couldn't help but to laugh at myself and I look up at Peter and he's cracking up!:LOL: Never turn your back on mother nature...lesson learned. My wrist is busted up a little so I make my way to a more comfortable depth. It hurt a little to cast so I was working this long trough with my LC "walk the dog style" and was rewarded with this tiny guy.

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h355/SaiyajinxRC/Fishing/AE1AB279-C8A3-429F-BA6C-7C18911860EC_zpsrixskkqc.jpg (http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/SaiyajinxRC/media/Fishing/AE1AB279-C8A3-429F-BA6C-7C18911860EC_zpsrixskkqc.jpg.html)

No white sea bass and we were all a little beaten up so we make our way to another AO. Long story short, we skunked here but my wrist was feeling good enough to cast again.:Big Grin:

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h355/SaiyajinxRC/Fishing/54E7686F-27C8-445D-85D5-B49BE4A42B90_zpsnuezwazp.jpg (http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/SaiyajinxRC/media/Fishing/54E7686F-27C8-445D-85D5-B49BE4A42B90_zpsnuezwazp.jpg.html)

March 30, 2014

Sunday we decided to hit an AO where the halibut have been going off. Peter and I get a really late start and he informs me that the guys have been killin it this morning. I believe the count was 5 legals and multiple shorts, WTG guys! I get to the beach and I'm greeted by my good friend Sandy and new friends Jeff and Bryan. He hands me a brand new Surf Pointer 115 and I tie it on. Bryan and Jeff had picked off a couple shorts and 1 legal halibut with this same lure. I make my way down the beach and say hello to bachiboy, Remington, and Peter. I cast my lure out and give my rod a quick twitch twitch and I hook onto a YFC. My first surf fish with the new lure!
http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h355/SaiyajinxRC/Fishing/f6b40d59-d40c-4d2e-a562-c446845ebc7b_zps3b42e82f.jpg (http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/SaiyajinxRC/media/Fishing/f6b40d59-d40c-4d2e-a562-c446845ebc7b_zps3b42e82f.jpg.html)

Bryan definitely had the hotstick today, I'm guessing he caught 5 shorts in the span of 30 minutes. I move away from the group a little and I get my first halibut of the day.

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h355/SaiyajinxRC/Fishing/65f6710e-d398-4abb-a21f-6f96ab862811_zps3f3da459.jpg (http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/SaiyajinxRC/media/Fishing/65f6710e-d398-4abb-a21f-6f96ab862811_zps3f3da459.jpg.html)

Fishing started to slow down a bit so we head back to where Bryan parked to check out Bryan's mobile tackle shop. He just started up Crystal Waters Tackle, they bring the tackle to you, check em out. Peter and I said our goodbyes to the guys and are ready to call it a day when we see what every fisherman loves to see. There was a huge flock of birds diving and crashing where we had just finished fishing! This is an opportunity that we both can't miss. We head back to the spot and the birds activity had started to die down but they were still hanging out. The tide dropped some so I tied on a FlashMinnow 110 in Sexy Blue, the SurfPointer was dragging a little too much now.

We're working a trough then I get hit 10 feet in front of me. Peter's asking me is it big? I'm not sure but it does have some weight to it. I get a glimpse of a long silver fish and I hook onto my first corbina ever! I see that it's totally fair hooked and work it in with the next wave. The LC pops out as the waves recede but I was able to make the tail grab and bring it to higher ground. Peter's yelling dude this is your induction fish! I tell him nah I don't think so, I'm pretty sure it has to be 22 inches. We tape the fish out and it stretches in at 20.5 inches, a little short...or so I thought. I didn't think this was "The One" so I make a quick release and get back to my gear. I scrounge around my backpack to retrieve my cell phone. I copied the S.W.A.T. induction fish requirements on my phone and it reads 20 inches! Peter asks me, "Dude, did you just release your induction fish without taking a picture with it?" Oh no! Rookie move!:Embarrassed: Oh well, I'm in baby!:Dancing Banana:

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h355/SaiyajinxRC/Fishing/990B1FA5-7E9A-4339-8387-4B77A03FA0A4_zpsqoep5l8x.jpg (http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/SaiyajinxRC/media/Fishing/990B1FA5-7E9A-4339-8387-4B77A03FA0A4_zpsqoep5l8x.jpg.html)

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h355/SaiyajinxRC/Fishing/8952D822-9D8F-4D9D-8F31-4131E19EA1DA_zpsjd8nwvxl.jpg (http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/SaiyajinxRC/media/Fishing/8952D822-9D8F-4D9D-8F31-4131E19EA1DA_zpsjd8nwvxl.jpg.html)

Peter congratulates me on getting into the brotherhood and we continue to work the same stretch and Peter pulls in his 3rd legal from the surf. Congratulations brotha!

Measured in at 23.5"
http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h355/SaiyajinxRC/Fishing/4284E709-36AB-4A2C-877C-119CEF2B6899_zpshhno9tzu.jpg (http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/SaiyajinxRC/media/Fishing/4284E709-36AB-4A2C-877C-119CEF2B6899_zpshhno9tzu.jpg.html)

Man what a journey this has been! It was already a goal of mine to join the S.W.A.T. brotherhood but to actually be in it is truly a dream come true. I'd like to thank Wingnut for giving me the opportunity, it was really fun. SP Dan, thanks for the mentoring. It's always nice to share the time with you. I promise to take your advice and actually apply them now. Peter, thanks for always being there for me. It wouldn't have felt right to not share this moment with you. And all you guys and gals on FNN, this wouldn't be possible without this great community.

-Thank You
Raney

basshole1
03-31-2014, 11:06 PM
Nice bean, awesome post, and congrats man!!

skunked4life
03-31-2014, 11:34 PM
Raney!

Only the quickest induction ever?!?!? Great looking bean! Wish I could have stayed to witness it and personally congratulate you. Great job out there and enjoy the high! Oh, and retire that lc! Look at it often as a reminder that you are now officially a part of this great family!

Let's get in a session soon.

Skunked4life

bachiboy
03-31-2014, 11:58 PM
Way to go man! When I saw you show up, first thing that popped in my head was the 28 that I got and how that coulda been "the one" for you, but there were fish to be had there. Never imagined you'd seal the deal with a bean. I think you're the first to do that. Awesome job!

Congrats and welcome aboard!
Don

tamddo714
04-01-2014, 12:18 AM
awesome job out there!

SP Dan
04-01-2014, 05:21 AM
"Welcome ..... Brotha Raney"

Excellent job on knocking down your SWAT Central Command Challenge Sir! :Big Smile::Applause:

I don't believe that anyone in SWAT can claim a Corbina as their SWAT qualifier! :Wink: Nice fish Sir!

I like the induction species that Poseidon gave you ...... unique is very good!

Thanx for the well written qualifying session with pic's! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

remington
04-01-2014, 06:59 AM
Congratulations on your induction fish Raney. A "bean" no less, that's freaking awesome! It was very nice meeting you & Peter. Hope we can all do it again real soon!

Kelly

PTN
04-01-2014, 08:53 AM
Congrats! I'd welcome you to the brotherhood but I already see you like my brother from another mother before. You even stated before the session you were going to get your induction fish and you actually did. A corbina too. Your reports are pretty well written :LOL:.

Kelly, it was good to meet you out there. I was having fun just watching you guys catch all those fish and couldn't help myself but to join :Cool:.

-Peter

murrieta angler
04-01-2014, 09:21 AM
Congratulations Raney :Cool:
That was definitely the quickest induction to S.W.A.T. ever. :Smile:
A 20" bean is a nice induction fish. They are very hard to come by with the LC.
That spot has just been crazy good this year.
Thanks for sharing and I'll see you around Brotha,
Robert
<><

bones
04-01-2014, 09:28 AM
Really nice slider on the hard bait sir!
Fair hooked and your first is just awesome ....Not surprising though...This time of year they are not overstuffed with sand crabs and they will attack anything that looks like a meal!

Many moons ago Arthur and myself came up with the concept of S.W.A.T.
Who would have thought that it would grow to a commando force to be feared in our local SoCal waters so fast?
You survived the test with dignity Raney and it was not an easy challenge primarily because the qualifying fish standard has increased over the years thereby making it much harder to join the group.

Hold your head high with pride sir and welcome to the brotherhood!

See you on the sand sometime in 2014!

Mike aka "Lt. Bones"

Wingnut
04-01-2014, 05:52 PM
Well... now I really don't feel bad about not giving you that 1/4 inch for that last legal Halibut. :LOL:
I knew that it was just a matter of time seeing how determined you are to get the job done. :Thumbs Up:
You are indeed the first S.W.A.T. Inductee by way of a Corbina. :Applause: A Croaker of the "right" kind... no offense to Don and Ken, Colonel & Corporal Croakers. :ROFL:

Like I've always said, the induction fish is only an official validation into the Brotherhood. Once you are a Prospect, we already considered you a part of the Family. :Cool:

Now, time to cheer on our remaining Prospects, Thien, Danny and Kelly. :Big Grin:

Oh, by the way... keep an eye out for a Fed Ex package coming your way. :Wink:

Which Way Out
04-01-2014, 07:07 PM
Congratulations Raney.

Welcome to the SWAT Team and all that it brings. Brings?:Confused: Huh??? Yeah like your first year working the HG events. Trash bag replacement, carrying things for other people down to the sand from the parking lot, cleaning up the beach afterwards. You know all that Super Glamorizes stuff were all know for. :Shocked: But the best part of it all, helping to get a new person on a fish.:Big Smile:

Arthur's selection of prospects are without question. I am very sure, you will continue to show the love of the sport and share it with anyone willing to respect the water and the fish in it.
The best of luck to you, now it's time to get the other prospects on the team.

WWO

Btw Did you get the signing bonus?

sidified
04-01-2014, 07:34 PM
Congrats, Raneman, on your quick and rare qualifier! May you continue your success and keep up the trend!.
Sid

TackleTruck
04-02-2014, 08:26 PM
Congrats Raney! That was an awesome day on the sand! I enjoyed fishing with Sandy, Peter and you lets do it again. I've never caught so many fish on the hard baits in one day. That 115 is a slayer!

P.S. That was my brother James. LOL

Raneman
04-02-2014, 08:39 PM
Nice bean, awesome post, and congrats man!!

Thank you basshole1!

Raney!

Only the quickest induction ever?!?!? Great looking bean! Wish I could have stayed to witness it and personally congratulate you. Great job out there and enjoy the high! Oh, and retire that lc! Look at it often as a reminder that you are now officially a part of this great family!

Let's get in a session soon.

Skunked4life

Thanks Ken! I think Peter may have me beat in the quickest induction ever, mine went exactly 49 days. Maybe Peter can confirm? Great idea on retiring the LC, you've just gave me some ideas on a "wall of fame". Hope to fish with you soon brotha!

Way to go man! When I saw you show up, first thing that popped in my head was the 28 that I got and how that coulda been "the one" for you, but there were fish to be had there. Never imagined you'd seal the deal with a bean. I think you're the first to do that. Awesome job!

Congrats and welcome aboard!
Don

Thanks Don! When Peter told me that a 28"er was caught I had a great feeling that this was going to be the day. I remember asking Peter, "You smell that Peter? Smell what? Induction fish haha.

awesome job out there!

Thank you tamddo714!

"Welcome ..... Brotha Raney"

Excellent job on knocking down your SWAT Central Command Challenge Sir! :Big Smile::Applause:

I don't believe that anyone in SWAT can claim a Corbina as their SWAT qualifier! :Wink: Nice fish Sir!

I like the induction species that Poseidon gave you ...... unique is very good!

Thanx for the well written qualifying session with pic's! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

Thanks Dan! I was set on targeting a halibut as my induction fish but having a bean as "the one" was a pleasant surprise for sure!

Congratulations on your induction fish Raney. A "bean" no less, that's freaking awesome! It was very nice meeting you & Peter. Hope we can all do it again real soon!

Kelly

Thank Kelly! It was great meeting you out there also, good luck on your journey for your induction fish. I have a feeling that yours will come much faster than mine!

Congrats! I'd welcome you to the brotherhood but I already see you like my brother from another mother before. You even stated before the session you were going to get your induction fish and you actually did. A corbina too. Your reports are pretty well written :LOL:.

Kelly, it was good to meet you out there. I was having fun just watching you guys catch all those fish and couldn't help myself but to join :Cool:.

-Peter

My brotha from anotha motha! I still find it funny how everything happened that day. I just wish I would've taken my time to check requirements before the release. Thanks again for being there for me once again.

Congratulations Raney :Cool:
That was definitely the quickest induction to S.W.A.T. ever. :Smile:
A 20" bean is a nice induction fish. They are very hard to come by with the LC.
That spot has just been crazy good this year.
Thanks for sharing and I'll see you around Brotha,
Robert
<><

Thanks Robert! This year has been crazy good so far. Hope to get some fishing time with you again Brotha.

Really nice slider on the hard bait sir!
Fair hooked and your first is just awesome ....Not surprising though...This time of year they are not overstuffed with sand crabs and they will attack anything that looks like a meal!

Many moons ago Arthur and myself came up with the concept of S.W.A.T.
Who would have thought that it would grow to a commando force to be feared in our local SoCal waters so fast?
You survived the test with dignity Raney and it was not an easy challenge primarily because the qualifying fish standard has increased over the years thereby making it much harder to join the group.

Hold your head high with pride sir and welcome to the brotherhood!

See you on the sand sometime in 2014!

Mike aka "Lt. Bones"

Thanks for the kind words Mike! I did not know that about corbina, hopefully we can fish together so I can pick your brain some more. I can tell from speaking with you at past HG events that you have masterful insight in this sport we love.

Well... now I really don't feel bad about not giving you that 1/4 inch for that last legal Halibut. :LOL:
I knew that it was just a matter of time seeing how determined you are to get the job done. :Thumbs Up:
You are indeed the first S.W.A.T. Inductee by way of a Corbina. :Applause: A Croaker of the "right" kind... no offense to Don and Ken, Colonel & Corporal Croakers. :ROFL:

Like I've always said, the induction fish is only an official validation into the Brotherhood. Once you are a Prospect, we already considered you a part of the Family. :Cool:

Now, time to cheer on our remaining Prospects, Thien, Danny and Kelly. :Big Grin:

Oh, by the way... keep an eye out for a Fed Ex package coming your way. :Wink:

Thanks for having such faith in me and not letting me settle for that 1/4" Arthur LOL. Never did I imagine I would be the first at anything when it comes to S.W.A.T. Thanks so much for the package! Again, it's just been a dream come true.

Congratulations Raney.

Welcome to the SWAT Team and all that it brings. Brings?:Confused: Huh??? Yeah like your first year working the HG events. Trash bag replacement, carrying things for other people down to the sand from the parking lot, cleaning up the beach afterwards. You know all that Super Glamorizes stuff were all know for. :Shocked: But the best part of it all, helping to get a new person on a fish.:Big Smile:

Arthur's selection of prospects are without question. I am very sure, you will continue to show the love of the sport and share it with anyone willing to respect the water and the fish in it.
The best of luck to you, now it's time to get the other prospects on the team.

WWO

Btw Did you get the signing bonus?

Thanks Bill! If by signing bonus you mean the FedEx package, then yes I got it. Super cool stuff in there! LOL at your comments about cleaning the beaches, hopefully my extra hands will lighten everyone else's load. I've been working hard to get Danny on the team but lady luck and timing just hasn't been on his side. Hope to see you on the sand soon!

Congrats, Raneman, on your quick and rare qualifier! May you continue your success and keep up the trend!.
Sid

Thanks for the kind words Sid!

Raneman
04-02-2014, 08:46 PM
Congrats Raney! That was an awesome day on the sand! I enjoyed fishing with Sandy, Peter and you lets do it again. I've never caught so many fish on the hard baits in one day. That 115 is a slayer!

P.S. That was my brother James. LOL

Hey wassup Bryan! Welcome to the boards! It sure was an awesome day, It was nice getting to fish with you and James also. Sorry I totally butchered his name LOL, I'm horrible at that kind of thing. You know I wasn't so sure about the SurfPointer 115 before that day, but man is that thing effective. We should definitely do it again soon, hit me when you do!

PONTOON
04-02-2014, 09:23 PM
Raney,

I saw the title of your post and knew this was going to be a good read and I was right! Congratulations! :Thumbs Up:

Any time I read about Good Friends sharing some Good Times on the water I'm reminded of the Good Times I've shared on the water fishing with Good Friends. That's what S.W.A.T. is all about and I know that if you ever have the chance to sit and talk with the "Commander" he'll tell you about a Good Friend who I know wears a smile every time a new prospect gets "The One" The S.W.A.T. Induction Fish.

Awesome......Congratulations again! :Cool:

anchor3n1
04-02-2014, 10:15 PM
Hi Raney

How exciting! Your smiles tell it all. What a fun day of fishing you had and you topped it off with a much deserved reward - Congrats and please keep telling your session stories (with pics of course) cuz you're a good writer too. So keep em com in'!!!

Take care,

Nick

saltman
04-03-2014, 07:13 AM
Hey Bro

Welcome to the team see you out in the surf.

Congrats
Ramiro.

Jaysuuun
04-03-2014, 08:46 AM
Raney congrats and welcome to the brotherhood. Especially on being the first member to get in with a bean. I expected to see a 28"+ flattie when I opened up your report. What a surprise! Looks like a sweet little honey hole there! Oh and cool new LC

jerryG
04-05-2014, 10:49 PM
Well done Raney.. Welcome to the Team my friend.. As mentioned the bar in regards to the requirements for the induction fish has been raised over the years and it goes without saying it's not any easy test to complete. You can be proud of your accomplishment.. Congratulations. I hope to have the opportunity to fish with you and the guys sometime soon..I have a lot of commitments that have been keeping me off the water but I should have more time after next week... My son has a basketball tournament next weekend and then he (we) gets a break before summer league starts. I should be able to get in a month of fishing weekends.. Finally... My son is just anxious to get back on the water as I am..

JerryG