PDA

View Full Version : Boca Bearing in your fishing reel

benichi
03-31-2014, 09:22 PM
hey guys I have started using the orange seal bearings in my reels and like them a lot. I can really see a difference on windy days and lighter lures.

I run them with out the seals on. and i have been using them dry.

just wondering if anyone else is using them

also found a great trick here it is

my wife has a sonic cleaner for her jewelry and it has a special solution to help it polish the things you put in to it. I drop them in to it run it 3 times and then drop them in a cup of distilled water and then dry them and blow them out with compressed air. I have to say I think the polishing really helps with sound and casting a little bit more.

has anyone else got any tricks or info you have tried?

benichi
04-01-2014, 12:14 PM
anyone?????????????

youngfisherman
04-01-2014, 01:11 PM
I usually clean the bearings with a q tip with a little bit of rubbing alcohol or ill fill up a bottle cap with lighter fluid and swish it around then i air dry it and lube it up after

DarkShadow
04-01-2014, 01:42 PM
I keep the stock bearings in.

I've never encountered a situation where 4% casting distance enhancements meant the difference between a good day and a bad day on the water.

benichi
04-01-2014, 02:00 PM
I keep the stock bearings in.

I've never encountered a situation where 4% casting distance enhancements meant the difference between a good day and a bad day on the water.

you should try them one time with a 3/4 oz jig head I get 15 yards more distance, that is pretty far and you dont have to cast as hard.... for me that is worth it when Im fishing from shore most of the
time

for what i have been doing it is a big improvement, but I did try putting the bearings on a cheaper reel that was like $50 and you diffidently dont see the benefit. but on your better reels I think it is worth it cost me $30 to replace all 3 bearings in my revo winch 3 gen

Stormcrow
04-01-2014, 03:40 PM
I use the orange lube dry bearings ABEC#7 on all of my curados. they make a HUGE difference. I would say 30% as compared to 4% as Dark Shadow mentioned.

If you are using the orange ones, you should have left the seals on and never lube them. They are lube dry. They are loud but who cares when you can cast a mile. Very handy when trying to cast a long carolina rig.

benichi
04-01-2014, 03:54 PM
I use the orange lube dry bearings ABEC#7 on all of my curados. they make a HUGE difference. I would say 30% as compared to 4% as Dark Shadow mentioned.

If you are using the orange ones, you should have left the seals on and never lube them. They are lube dry. They are loud but who cares when you can cast a mile. Very handy when trying to cast a long carolina rig.

Oh yeah I agree with you I get way more then 4% ... I just started taking the seals off just to see if there is a differences but I cant tell any. but if you get a sonic cleaner it does make them quieter and I think I even gain a little more on the cast.. if you ever clean them try it...

I will stay this it helps for surf fishing!!!

DarkShadow
04-01-2014, 04:08 PM

Get an aftermarket Yumeya or Avail spool that weighs lighter than the stock spool, thus more RPMs.

That'll get you even more distance!

gogreeenz4
04-01-2014, 04:21 PM

i run all stock bearings so i dont know much (whats new) but boy could you tell which reel of storms wasnt tuned.... It was almost doubole the distance with his reels that had ceramics and tuned compared to the stock.. it inspired me to get my reels tuned

Twoooo Chains!

benichi
04-01-2014, 04:26 PM
Get an aftermarket Yumeya or Avail spool that weighs lighter than the stock spool, thus more RPMs.

you cant get more rpm if your bearings cant give them to you.. no buddy is forcing to try the bearings it seams like all your post on my thread are really negative but hey that is your opinion. I am just try to let people know what worked well for me.

have you tried an aftermarket Yumeya or Avail spool that weighs lighter than the stock spool. or are you just saying this????

Im giving this info because I think it can be really beneficial to others FNN ers. and I have actually try it and they work really well...

gogreeenz4
04-01-2014, 04:37 PM
anything he posts is negitive! i guess you could say he is on the dark side.......

Someone always has to be THAT GUY.......

Thanks for the post benichi, defiantly useful!

lazyfisherman
04-02-2014, 07:52 AM
Aftermarket spools are also 2-3x the cost of the bearings. Honestly, if you just replace the spool bearings, that should increase your distance. I tested a Calcutta 400te with orange seal bearings with and without the orange seal. Honestly got more distance once I removed the seals.

benichi
04-02-2014, 10:02 AM
Were can you find aftermarket spools? I cant even find them online.

personally Just changing the bearings for me gave me lots more distance. I only paid $30 for 3 bearings that is not bad when you have a $200 reel

DarkShadow
04-02-2014, 10:02 AM
Now, for those who have upgraded to aftermarket bearings, I do have a question.

I'm assuming that you have all brakes/magnets/cast controls off and you're casting in true free spool?

gogreeenz4
04-02-2014, 10:18 AM

I'm assuming that you have all brakes/magnets/cast controls off and you're casting in true free spool?

im American of course they are!! Merica......

Now, I do have a question.

do you even fish?.........

benichi
04-02-2014, 11:20 AM

you have to reset your reel like you just bought it. I start by turning everything off and and then re tuning it just like you would with any reel.

but I do not fish with everything off if that is your question.

I think you need to come out fishing some time we can get bearings for your reel I will buy them. then you can cast with your reel stock and then we can put bearings in it and you can cast and see first hand there are no gimmicks or cheating they just plain out help your cast if you like them you can buy the bearings for what i pay for them. I will keep the receipt. if you dont like them I will keep the bearings and put them on a reel of mine..

there is no point in having a reel with brakes on it so you dont backlash and not using them.

one more thing I left out is I change the tension bearing in my reels and I notice that I have more fine tuning of each click on the knob

DarkShadow
04-02-2014, 12:46 PM
im American of course they are!! Merica......

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoghPts44Ng

you have to reset your reel like you just bought it. I start by turning everything off and and then re tuning it just like you would with any reel.

but I do not fish with everything off if that is your question.

Interesting.

I'm anxiously waiting to hear what Stormcrow has to say regarding my question before I retort.

Stormcrow
04-03-2014, 04:35 PM
i run all stock bearings so i dont know much (whats new) but boy could you tell which reel of storms wasnt tuned.... It was almost doubole the distance with his reels that had ceramics and tuned compared to the stock.. it inspired me to get my reels tuned

Twoooo Chains!

Ya remember that crap with my jig rod??? I was like: "what's wrong with this f-ing reel!!???" then I realized it was the only one I wasn't running boca bearings in. LOL

I GOTTA BIG WORM FISH! GRAB THE TWO-CHAINZ NET!!!

Stormcrow
04-03-2014, 04:46 PM
Interesting.

I'm anxiously waiting to hear what Stormcrow has to say regarding my question before I retort.

Well my goal in testing was to control everything except the single variable being the bearings themselves. I ran with the same reel, same line, same spool, same rod...no wind in the street. The only thing I couldn't control was the measurement of force I put on each cast. Being very athletic, though, I know my own body enough to repeat my delivery so I'm positive it was within an acceptable level of error. Anyway, in 5 casts in the street with stock and 5 with boca my average was 28 yards farther. As a follow up I marked my cast distance and found that it required far less effort to hit that mark with bocas in the reel.

It was literally night and day Dark. They are loud, however, I may add a drop of oil just to quiet them down. 28 yards is a long way if you can picture that on the water. Almost 3 first downs. Makes stealthy casts a bit easier ya know?

The only other advice I would give is to not go cheap and get the econo bearings. Spend the money and get the orange seal, ceramic, lube dry bearings. with an ABEC rating of at least 7

gogreeenz4
04-03-2014, 04:53 PM
Ya remember that crap with my jig rod??? I was like: "what's wrong with this f-ing reel!!???" then I realized it was the only one I wasn't running boca bearings in. LOL

I GOTTA BIG WORM FISH! GRAB THE TWO-CHAINZ NET!!!

thats why i am laughing at dueche shadow becuase you can tell clear as day they do have an affect but hey ignorance is bliss i guess..........

SOLD OUT ARENAS YOU CAN SUCK MY......

pescadito
04-03-2014, 05:12 PM
has anyone tried the orange seal bearings on saltwater reels? i want to put some on my 300TE and not sure how the ceramics would hold up to salt. Also how do they hold up to more pressure from bigger fish? say yellows and seabass that might put some more consistent pressure on your reel than a calico...

bassmeister
04-03-2014, 05:49 PM
They work just as good in the salt as they do in the fresh.
Ceramic is harder that steel and wont corrode.

has anyone tried the orange seal bearings on saltwater reels? i want to put some on my 300TE and not sure how the ceramics would hold up to salt. Also how do they hold up to more pressure from bigger fish? say yellows and seabass that might put some more consistent pressure on your reel than a calico...

benichi
04-03-2014, 10:49 PM

Bassmeister is correct the ceramic is better for corrosion as they don't corrode away, but the rings are stainless only the bearings are ceramic so you still need to make sure the rings dont rust..

I have caught yellows and a 6lb 10oz calico on my old set up it was great... I have not caught a WSB yet but hopping this year...

Ifishtoolittle
04-03-2014, 11:29 PM

Yep. That's what I did too. Also, the 1030 airs work even better than Bocas.

Ifishtoolittle
04-03-2014, 11:32 PM

I still use my brakes. An Avail spool can still backlash like a b*tch.

benichi
04-04-2014, 12:23 AM
Yep. That's what I did too. Also, the 1030 airs work even better than Bocas.

I looked at the air bearings but they're company said if your throwing over 1oz lures not to get there air ceramic bearing. the little bearings could have problems under the pressure. but I have heard great things about there bearings. never used them personally though... thanks for bringing them up I forgot about them..

Ifishtoolittle
04-04-2014, 12:58 AM
I looked at the air bearings but they're company said if your throwing over 1oz lures not to get there air ceramic bearing. the little bearings could have problems under the pressure. but I have heard great things about there bearings. never used them personally though... thanks for bringing them up I forgot about them..

They're great for lighter lures. I think the company has some saltwater bears for heavier lures.