PDA

View Full Version : hey everyone, just need some advise on fishing harbors

NeKro
03-28-2014, 08:54 PM
so same may remember me as juventino years and years ago before I joined the Army; Well i changed the sn because i forgot my password and don't use the last email anymore... So if some remember me hi again....

ok well I live in West Covina and I fish mostly lakes. I have done deep sea fishing once for back this past september in newport beach and like it. Caught a yellow tail tuna which i was stoked. The more and more i think about it I would take advantage of the ocean since its not far from me at all. I own a float tube and looking into probably wanting to get a pontoon instead since the oars would be a better method for my self to move around more quickly. My question is I have been looking into youtube videos and have notice a lot of people use big hammers. I have only very few and was wonder which ones i should look into. Color, length, and also the weight of the "head". I have a carrot stick with 12lb which i use for strippers and LMB. I have some other rods which I need to change out line since its old. I also want to use those swell with other types of baits like jigs and what not. What line should I be using if i want to fish newport harbor. I did a tourny with some of you guys maybe 4-5 years ago at newport if some remember and I got skunked. Fishing the sea is very new territory for me. fishing for trout and bass is what I am more comfortable with. Since its tax season I am using the money to fix my truck so i can go float tubing again after about 3 years with going tubing. Any help or advise would mean a lot to me.

twin22s
03-28-2014, 11:28 PM
almost all game fish in the ocean can be caught with bait fish imitations like swimbaits, zoom flukes, LC and other minnow style cranks. Basically The idea is to fish the harbor like a big lake. drop-offs, narrow sections, boat docks, rip-rap, pilings all make great places for fish to ambush there dinner. your 12lb bass setup is perfect for fishing the harbor but if you are going to target halibut or other larger fish exclusively wouldn't hurt to bump it up to 15 or 17lb. using braided line with a floro leader is probably the best setup for everything but costs a little more and takes more effort in the form of tying line to line knots and keeping extra leader line with you. I use many of my fresh water bass lures in the salt with great success. experiment with different techniques using anywhere from 3' to 7' minnow style baits. drop shot a robo worm shad, swim a 3' big hammer just off the bottom with a 3/8 jig head, twitch a zoom fluke on a darter head, bounce a deep diving minnow crank off of the edges of rocky banks or jetties(must be free of salad). I have caught fish with all of these methods fishing from shore I'm sure you will find a few takers working the deeper ledges and channels. Good luck to ya. feel free to bounce any ideas for lure setups for specific areas/situations off of me or on the boards. when you get more specific or put some information of your own out there you'll get a better response from the boys(and girls). or maybe everyone is to busy getting their gear ready for this weekend.... or maybe they are already fishing under the lights somewhere... maybe, I gotta go. report coming soon.... ahh :Explode:

NeKro
03-29-2014, 10:26 AM
I am also looking into yaking also and trying to see reviews on models.

NeKro
04-05-2014, 03:02 PM
anyone else?

bassmeister
04-05-2014, 04:24 PM
Where do you live? I've been wanting to tube one of the bays.
twins22s covered most of what you need to know. Just take your Bass fishing skills and you never know what will attack in the salt

Scott

NeKro
04-05-2014, 06:11 PM
Where do you live? I've been wanting to tube one of the bays.
twins22s covered most of what you need to know. Just take your Bass fishing skills and you never know what will attack in the salt

Scott
I live in west covina.