PDA

View Full Version : Today 9/28

plumbertom
09-28-2007, 07:06 PM
On board the Island Spirit out of Capt. Hooks at Channel Islands Harbor.
Took the 3/4 day trip out to the Islands.
I'm kind of tired so I'm just going to run the highlights.
The boat is comfortable to ride with plenty of room for a light load like we had today (22).
The crew worked very hard at getting right on all of the tangles and were prompt to take off your fish and bag it for yo.
The Captain did a good job of finding plenty of willing bottom grabbers even if they were on the small side.
I fished all day with Gulp poggies in blood red. Was outcatching every one three to one.
Good food from the galley if a little limited.
Nice trip, I'll go again.

JapanRon
09-28-2007, 07:46 PM
Hi plummertom,

Excellent little info-packed report. That's a boat we don't hear about so much so it had an add-on value! :lol: :lol:

Appreciate the extra effort when your beat. Soooo like when do we get the pictures ?? J/k

Await your next report from UP NORTH? :)

JapanRon

ghetto dad
09-28-2007, 08:00 PM
On board the Island Spirit out of Capt. Hooks at Channel Islands Harbor.
Took the 3/4 day trip out to the Islands.
I'm kind of tired so I'm just going to run the highlights.
The boat is comfortable to ride with plenty of room for a light load like we had today (22).
The crew worked very hard at getting right on all of the tangles and were prompt to take off your fish and bag it for yo.
The Captain did a good job of finding plenty of willing bottom grabbers even if they were on the small side.
I fished all day with Gulp poggies in blood red. Was outcatching every one three to one.
Good food from the galley if a little limited.
Nice trip, I'll go again.

nice report...they were on "the small side?" i was thinking about going up there on sunday, i thought a majority of the rockfish they caught up there were larger than what we get down here......if its all small stuff, im not making the run up there.....thanks for the report..oh, how deep were you guys fishing......thanks man.....

plumbertom
09-29-2007, 07:17 AM
Didn't take my camera, Sorry. Hell, I even forgot my fishing lic. and had to buy a one day.

We were fishing in water that was right in the 200' range in the gap off San Pedro point between Santa Cruz and Anacapa Islands.
Seems as if the Half day trips have been doing better on the ling cod so you might try the Speed Twin out of Channel Islands sport fishing.
For $35 it leaves around 8 or 9 and returns around 3pm.
Early in the season (March-April) there are some big rock fish to be had and there were a few nice sized Vermilion's caught yesterday. I just didn't get any of them. The lings we caught were all short so...
The area we were fishing gets a lot of pressure from the short trips. If you want better fish try an Overnight trip on the Mirage out of Port Hueneme they do a good job of getting quality fish and good numbers of lings. If the squid are there they may also give you a little time to fish WSB and 'buts as well as the rock fish.

ghetto dad
09-29-2007, 05:15 PM
thanks alot tom, i appreciate the info brother.....

valhalla_1_2000
09-29-2007, 08:19 PM
Glad you had a good trip. Ghetto Dad, if you want to get into some really good rockfishing (i.e., for the larger models) PT's right, you should think about at least an overnight trip. The Ranger 85, which is currently still doing 1 1/2 day tuna trips in San Diego, has two 2 day trips scheduled for November 9 and November 23. I go on one of these trips every fall and the larger model rockfishing has always been fantastic, big lings, big halibut, big sheepshead, and big whitefish too. They usually hit San Miguel, Santa Rosa, and/or San Nicolas Islands. I'll be on the November 9 trip this year. Cost is $385. If you can make one of these trips, you won't be disappointed.

Ambassadorhawg
10-01-2007, 07:59 PM
I had the same good service on that boat about a week ago.

But BOY, is it slow or what???

That boat was the "R&R" out of Marina Del Rey Sportfishing and before that, it was the "Sea Spray" out of Redondo Sportfishing.

Greg Madrigal
10-01-2007, 09:09 PM
Thanks 4 the report after a lonnng day I'm sure. Please do tell what kind of fish you were catching. I am a Gulp! advocate as everyone knows, but I have yet to try the pogies.

WTG.

GM

plumbertom
10-02-2007, 07:42 AM
I caught mostly vermilion along with rosie's, white spotted, copper, blue, tree and sculpin.
Also a couple of short lings but no bacassio.