PDA

View Full Version : Dana point harbor 3-27-14

twin22s
03-27-2014, 01:26 PM
Had an itch to scratch so i got up early and hit the water for an hour before work. Got the the island around 7am and went straight to the south east end by the harbor patrol office. started with a small big hammer on a 1/4 oz. head with just one scrappy like rock fish taking a snap at it right by the rocks. to small the get the business end of the little 3" swimbait in his mouth. decided to try a more finesse approach and tied on a small darter jig head with a 5" GULP! jerk shad on the back end. got several bites, probably lizard fish, and one good strike from something that was not a lizard but the swing came up empty. A little fishing in the morning works better than coffee :) I'm having a great day and can't wait until i get to try a few more tricks and spots that i know when i have more time. Tides are perfect right now BTW. am high at sunrise, pm high at sunset. if anyone wants to catch a few bass and pancakes hit me up.

-Twin22s

benichi
03-27-2014, 01:58 PM
I was down there as well last night hit up the island from around 2pm till 8pm nothing really to talk about slow fishing couple little baby sandbass and a couple lizards. I to did have one hit on bigger baits but didnt get a hook in him..

DockRat
03-27-2014, 08:12 PM
Always trim the tails off the Lizards before you release them.
'Halibuts need to eat too'.
DR

youngfisherman
03-28-2014, 09:19 AM
I was down there as well last night hit up the island from around 2pm till 8pm nothing really to talk about slow fishing couple little baby sandbass and a couple lizards. I to did have one hit on bigger baits but didnt get a hook in him..that big hit was probably just kelp lol

Jmericle
03-28-2014, 09:31 AM
Had an itch to scratch so i got up early and hit the water for an hour before work. Got the the island around 7am and went straight to the south east end by the harbor patrol office. started with a small big hammer on a 1/4 oz. head with just one scrappy like rock fish taking a snap at it right by the rocks. to small the get the business end of the little 3" swimbait in his mouth. decided to try a more finesse approach and tied on a small darter jig head with a 5" GULP! jerk shad on the back end. got several bites, probably lizard fish, and one good strike from something that was not a lizard but the swing came up empty. A little fishing in the morning works better than coffee :) I'm having a great day and can't wait until i get to try a few more tricks and spots that i know when i have more time. Tides are perfect right now BTW. am high at sunrise, pm high at sunset. if anyone wants to catch a few bass and pancakes hit me up.

-Twin22s

Glad to see I'm not the only one to fish an hour before work!

twin22s
03-28-2014, 09:33 AM
Yeah, its hard to tell if its a fish or kelp when I'm fishing an ultra light jighead on 10lb test and shimano graphite worm/jig rod. After 25 years of fishing, I guess i'll never know the difference.
:Wink:

benichi
03-28-2014, 10:41 AM
Yeah, its hard to tell if its a fish or kelp when I'm fishing an ultra light jighead on 10lb test and shimano graphite worm/jig rod. After 25 years of fishing, I guess i'll never know the difference.
:wink:

lol he was talking to me... inside joke we had going that night.. im going to hit up san diego if you want to join in let me know!!!

twin22s
03-28-2014, 11:28 AM
Sorry for being snappy then, I guess I have issues with the new generation of fishermen. The stereo-type of overprivileged little kids fishing $400 set ups and $60 swim baits for some reason makes me angry. I guess its just because I had to mow lawns and help with the family business all summer to save up for my first curado. I'm sure its just me so don't take it the wrong way.
:Farmer: -Twin22s

youngfisherman
03-28-2014, 12:16 PM
Sorry for being snappy then, I guess I have issues with the new generation of fishermen. The stereo-type of overprivileged little kids fishing $400 set ups and $60 swim baits for some reason makes me angry. I guess its just because I had to mow lawns and help with the family business all summer to save up for my first curado. I'm sure its just me so don't take it the wrong way.
:Farmer: -Twin22shey man I work for my tackle yeah I get mad when I see little rich kids with tons of setups who don't even use them with care my most expensive setup is 300 and took a while to get it

benichi
03-28-2014, 12:28 PM

I am right there with ya I remember mowing lawns around my house trying to make some money to by little lures for the local pond back in colorado just so I could catch some small stocked trout. ridding my bike (huffy) like 15 miles to the pond hahahaha.. oh how it has changed... well i still work my butt off but at least i have a truck now lol!!!!

bachiboy
03-29-2014, 12:11 AM
Got to love the hit and run sessions before work. Makes you really try and make every cast count.:Wink: Keep it up and, sooner or later, people are gonna be asking why you have a s*** eating grin on your face when you show up to work...then you get to tell them about the one that DIDN'T get away!

Don

skunked4life
03-29-2014, 07:08 PM
Oh man great job! Haven't fished Dana point in forever!

Skunked4life

USCisbeast22
03-30-2014, 08:13 PM

Not all of us new-generation of fisherman have 400$ setups and 60$ swimbaits. Pretty much all my setups are from Wal-Mart, and I still had to work to pay for those.