View Full Version : 3/25/14 More yellows on the San Diego

FKNChristopH
03-27-2014, 09:15 AM
Short report:
19 anglers
Boat totals: 27
My bag: 2 yellows
Equipment:
(yo yo)Performance tackle wrapped Phenix PHD 760X2H / Talica 12II 65# izorline brutally strong braid to 50# blue label fluoro / Kicker 25 heavy with Owner 4x hooks
(surface iron) Performance tackle wrapped Phenix Abyss 1009 / Shimano Jigger 2000 65# izor braid to 50# blue label fluoro / Salas 5x with Owner 4x hooks

Long report:
For the 3rd week in a row, I ventured down to SD to ride with one of the best in the business, Captain Ryan. He was coming off his 2 days off and the day before the boat had 0 (ZERO) fish. He had his work cut out for him. The day before stinger ran far and wide in search of these fast moving fish but did not yield any in return. When I got down there, I knew Ryan was going to have to work for the fish but I had faith. He works hard as hell to put people on fish. We dropped the engines to low and started up the sonar around 0815 and didnt stop on the first fish until about 1030. We had made our way WAY south of the islands and even farther south of the rock pile.

We would meter schools, get on them, they'd come up in the chum, and we would only hook one at a time.. They were acting really weird. They might have been micro bait in the water cuz they didnt like my jigs today. I didnt get my first fish til about 1 and my 2nd fish came around 2. At one point we were sitting in a football field size of yellows that were blowing up everywhere around the boat and stayed around the boat for about 4 minutes. We only hooked 3 fish. I made 5 casts in the middle of it and didnt even get licked.

Throughout the day, when we would chase these fish down, I would be on the bow with my jig rod and my buddy lester would be too. Only on spot of fish, I had a short bite which ended up pushing my jig out of the water and lester hooking his fish (his jig was right behind mine).

Overall it was a good day and cant wait to do it again. Capt Ryan works hard to put you on the fish and the crew is top notch. Chris is the galley was on fire with the breakfast burritos and the Taro and the boys on deck put in work to untangle and gaff fish.

video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeUNZHEOtes

*shakka*

halo16
03-28-2014, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the report, Cheers to a good spring/summer season!

russ88
04-07-2014, 10:45 PM
Wow... I'm jealous. Thanks for sharing!