PDA

View Full Version : santa monica for a newb

mrg85
03-25-2014, 11:21 AM
Hey guys New to this forum, lots of great info. So I was recently down by the Santa Monica pier and noticed a guy bait fishing and was bringing up some really nice surf perch. Is the area around the pier known for good surf fishing? I wouldn't think so with the big crowds, but I'm tempted to go throw some grubs after what I saw

The_Dude
03-25-2014, 12:00 PM
Hey guys New to this forum, lots of great info. So I was recently down by the Santa Monica pier and noticed a guy bait fishing and was bringing up some really nice surf perch. Is the area around the pier known for good surf fishing? I wouldn't think so with the big crowds, but I'm tempted to go throw some grubs after what I saw

I have seen quite a few people catching surf perch next to the pier. A pier would be a good place due to the pilings that they can use for structure to hide and bush prey at.

I would choose an early morning high tide to fish a pier just to avoid the crowds that do form

mrg85
03-25-2014, 06:16 PM
This may sound naive but I am new to surf fishing. Can you only catch fish on a high tide?

bassmeister
03-25-2014, 07:37 PM
Google tides4fishing.com. You can see the lunar cycle and the tides for areas you want to fish.
This will show you the times you may want to target the surf and the activity of the fish during the tides and lunar cycle.

The_Dude
03-25-2014, 08:14 PM
This may sound naive but I am new to surf fishing. Can you only catch fish on a high tide?

Not at all. Have had some real good days on a low tide. It seems though that your best chances are on an incoming but every beach is different

mrg85
03-25-2014, 08:23 PM
Thanks guys. I'll report on how I do