PDA

View Full Version : New to the duct and this forum

mrg85
03-24-2014, 08:51 PM
Hey guys, I was referred here by someone on stripers247, and there is some great info. A little about myself - flyfishing, salt, occasional urban lmb fishing), and now the aqueduct. Glad to see there are some seasoned people on here who clearly know a lot about fishing the duct. I live in Bakersfield and have recently started fishing the aqueduct a couple times a week. I will be reporting my trips on here when I can. Most recently I was out at old river, caught 7, 3 were Bakersfield legal on swimbait. Carp were spawning and going nuts. Walked very far to find the fish though, all spread out. The quality was much better here than at the golf course. Most stuff is working to some degree right now for me, except the tube baits. Anybody know why the stripers will occasionally lock up and freeze almost? Have had a hell of a time reviving some of them. Also Ive been fishing at freeborn recently and haven't even seen the pumps on there or any other gates for that matter, and of course haven't seen any gates open. In fact I cant find moving water anywhere but the spot at the golf course. With some rain coming up in the forecast I also wanted to ask how that effects the stripers if at all?

cutbait
03-24-2014, 09:07 PM
I gave up fishing in the rain. Nothing beats the golf course.

Carp spawn a lot like Trailblazer and I do. Multiple females, (sometimes at once) and broadcast spread. Although Carp only spawn once a year, We have been bred to multiple times each day if the opportunity presents itself

Thanks for the brief first report.. lots of useful info. Thanks again

trail blazer
03-25-2014, 06:21 AM
Verry little water from north of tupman right now,,,,,,,mostly well water from tup to pump plants,,,,,,some from up north but minimal,,,mostly opening Late till early on weekends for short sPuRtS

Glad to have another duct poster around,,welcome aboard,,,see ya out there

TRAIL BLAZER

fishinone
03-25-2014, 07:19 AM
Welcome!

Does anyone think that the lockjaw could be from low oxygen?

trail blazer
03-25-2014, 07:36 AM
I have no idea f1 BUT id say no because the duct stripers right now are pulling HARDDD, and not tireing easily either

Verry healthy.

T,B

fishinone
03-25-2014, 07:53 AM
Well, that's how the ones I caught fought a week and a half ago.

Maybe it's too much iron in their diet! LOL

I haven't seen one do that but I'm curious.

They could be playing possum.

cutbait
03-25-2014, 09:03 AM
I also noticed lockjaw in 2009 in our last no flow well water year.

Its not high iron, its arsenic

fishinone
03-25-2014, 09:41 AM
I also noticed lockjaw in 2009 in our last no flow well water year.

Its not high iron, its arsenic

Could be but I meant hooks. ;-)

cutbait
03-25-2014, 10:35 AM
Could be but I meant hooks. ;-)

Lol... gotcha now

mrg85
03-25-2014, 11:00 AM
Verry little water from north of tupman right now,,,,,,,mostly well water from tup to pump plants,,,,,,some from up north but minimal,,,mostly opening Late till early on weekends for short sPuRtS

Glad to have another duct poster around,,welcome aboard,,,see ya out there

TRAIL BLAZER

The water was actually moving today out at old river. Only got one though, too frustrated with picking the moss off my lure every cast to stay out long. What a difference one day can make, was just there yesterday and had no problems with moss. I hate that feeling where you are retrieving and you can feel how the lure is supposed to move, then it just dies as it hits the moss and its like reeling in a deadweight.

dk4885
03-25-2014, 01:02 PM
So of late here in fresno moving water and I think all the moss down there is what's being ripped off the side up here in fresno.

mrg85
03-25-2014, 03:08 PM
So of late here in fresno moving water and I think all the moss down there is what's being ripped off the side up here in fresno.

I had been there the day before and it was looking like the water hadn't moved in a while. I was wondering if it was the moss being ripped off right there

cutbait
03-25-2014, 04:19 PM
Just go fishing

Fishing is just as good dead still right now as with current. Moss is just the natural thing we can't change. Pound the duct buddy, pound it!

Forget the conditions, fish are biting

jdduckman
03-25-2014, 05:23 PM
Welcome aboard.
Saw you were a fly fisherman. Have you tried fly fishing the duct?

mrg85
03-25-2014, 06:07 PM
Just go fishing

Fishing is just as good dead still right now as with current. Moss is just the natural thing we can't change. Pound the duct buddy, pound it!

Forget the conditions, fish are biting

I felt like the fish wouldn't hit my lure because with two turns of the reel my lure was completely engulfed in moss. I've been doing great in the dead water recently. Do you guys just work through the moss?

mrg85
03-25-2014, 06:10 PM
I have not, but I was considering it after I saw a guy with a spey rod fishing a sculpin pattern. Was thinking of bringing my 5 weight with full sink and strip a shad streamer. You?

jdduckman
03-25-2014, 07:18 PM
Oh I have flailed the water with it, but haven't even got a look