PDA

View Full Version : Tough Sunday

The_Dude
03-24-2014, 08:25 AM
Decided to try the out going tide at the wedge to see if I could get anything. We got there right about 7 am and the tide was already really low. Looking at the sand this place looks like it could be promising due to the massive holes and structure the the waves have carved out.

Started throwing the LC for about 45 mins for not even a bump. Decided that before I tried the jetty I would tie on a c rig with some crack to see if I could get at least a perch. Another half hour of fan casting up and down the beach for nothing.

Moved over to the jetty to fish the harbor side and it was not any better. A lot of salad in the water which consisted of two lost lead heads. Once again nothing interested in picking up the swim bait or the LC.

Buddies and I decide to pack it up and in our attempt to wipe the skunk off our back we headed to our normal spot. Got to the spot and wow. What a great look at the bottom with the low tide. Found a ton of new holes and structure, however looks like I would have to wade about chest deep to get out to them during a high tide.

Started throwing the C rig again and just as the wedge and jetty it was an hour of fan casting up and down the beach for not even a nibble.

Needless to say we recognized we had been beaten and dragged our butts back to the car. No catches but always a nice time on the water

skunked4life
03-24-2014, 09:30 AM
You weren't "beaten" Dude. You were rewarded with hope for your next session in those holes and troughs for the next outing.

I too skunked this weekend but got to see all of the potential awaiting at optimal conditions.

Good job with the "recon" session and keep at it!

Skunked4life

The_Dude
03-24-2014, 09:44 AM
You weren't "beaten" Dude. You were rewarded with hope for your next session in those holes and troughs for the next outing.

I too skunked this weekend but got to see all of the potential awaiting at optimal conditions.

Good job with the "recon" session and keep at it!

Skunked4life

That is an awesome way of looking at it and very true. I can't wait to check out the new structure

benichi
03-24-2014, 10:41 AM
I did that same thing at the wedge couple days ago could not get a nibble but I did catch some small fish on the jetty you can look at the report for numbers..

I to was amazed at the low tide on some of the holes I found out there.. good job not many people like putting in the time it really takes to be a fisherman..

hopefully you get a PB out there next time

good report thanks again...

bachiboy
03-24-2014, 12:50 PM
Found a ton of new holes and structure, however looks like I would have to wade about chest deep to get out to them during a high tide.

Try to time the your sessions on the tides that will let you reach those holes without getting into too much danger. That recon session just might pay some dividends!:Wink: Great try out there!

Don

The_Dude
03-24-2014, 12:59 PM
I did that same thing at the wedge couple days ago could not get a nibble but I did catch some small fish on the jetty you can look at the report for numbers..

I to was amazed at the low tide on some of the holes I found out there.. good job not many people like putting in the time it really takes to be a fisherman..

hopefully you get a PB out there next time

good report thanks again...

It was your report that had me try the area. Never gave much thought to it due to the aggressive nature of the surf but after seeing all the holes and troughs I got to go back

The_Dude
03-24-2014, 01:00 PM
Try to time the your sessions on the tides that will let you reach those holes without getting into too much danger. That recon session just might pay some dividends!:Wink: Great try out there!

Don

Ya that is what I am planning on doing. No point on putting my life at risk for a fish.

exfactor
03-24-2014, 05:25 PM
I waited for the incoming, and started up here around 2pm. First bite was a 3' shovelnose right in the tip of the tail, which pulled some line for me. Then my SWAT bros Dave and Brad showed up, and we managed about a dozen between us up to 14". I donated 2 LC's to living dangerously by the boiler rocks tho, and found a new hole in my waders lol. Hope you don't mind me piggy backing on to your report.

anchor3n1
03-24-2014, 11:03 PM
Hey Dude

Late next week and through the weekend might just be awesome in the AM at your spot -tides and lunar cycle look great for then.

Nick

Ghost117
03-24-2014, 11:07 PM
Amen The_dude, this weekend was tough. I felt the same way at dockweiller! But hey theres always next week :D

The_Dude
03-25-2014, 10:10 AM
I waited for the incoming, and started up here around 2pm. First bite was a 3' shovelnose right in the tip of the tail, which pulled some line for me. Then my SWAT bros Dave and Brad showed up, and we managed about a dozen between us up to 14". I donated 2 LC's to living dangerously by the boiler rocks tho, and found a new hole in my waders lol. Hope you don't mind me piggy backing on to your report.

Not at all brotha. Glad to hear you got into some fish in the afternoon

The_Dude
03-25-2014, 10:11 AM
Hey Dude

Late next week and through the weekend might just be awesome in the AM at your spot -tides and lunar cycle look great for then.

Nick

I was thinking the same thing. So excited I had to take this Friday off just to make sure I get ample time in haha.

Wingnut
03-31-2014, 07:00 PM
Keep at it... it's only going to get better in the next few weeks as the water temperature rises... :Wink:

PTN
03-31-2014, 07:26 PM
Thanks for sharing and a recon session is what you can call it. Those kind of sessions can pay off later once you know where the structures are.

-Peter