PDA

View Full Version : The end of Alpers trout plants

seal
03-19-2014, 07:34 PM
I really don't know what to say about this. I'm tired of being angry about this state's insanity.

This truly is the end of something special. Thank you Tim for all the beautiful trout I've caught of yours, they will be missed by many.

http://m.utsandiego.com/news/2014/mar/18/outdoors-alpers-fishing-derby/

Kingfish Addict
03-19-2014, 07:56 PM
Wow, I cant freakin believe it. I just fished PVR and Owens last week and there was no talk of this. Very sad. They will find another place to open a hatchery hopefully. This kind of thing is exactly why I hate politicians/politics. There is nothing more crooked and corrupt. :Death2Above::Angry::Bawling:

Sierra_Smitty
03-19-2014, 09:01 PM
I have a lot of respect for Ed but the tone of this article leaves much to be desired with regard to accuracy and I for one don't appreciate the doom and gloom, especially when Inland Aquaculture Group (Alpers Trout) is NOT going out of business, does NOT plan on closing down for good, and this does NOT mark the end of Alpers Trout in the Eastern Sierra.

The reality of this situation is that it will resolve itself if/when we get a good snowpack OR IAG can install an ag-well (preferably both will occur now that some pressure is on Mono County). This could happen as soon as 2015, especially with all the El Nino talk. It took 3 horrible winters for the water supply to be depleted enough to make hatchery operations impractical so while CalTrans & Mono County have some blame appropriately aimed their way, it really boils down to Mother Nature being a giant b#tch and it's impossible to mess with that given the current setup of the ranch. Expansion beyond their current operation, which up until the 3rd constitutive drought year was PLENTY to supply both Mono & Inyo counties with trophy fish, will require the well and some flexibility on the part of Cal Trans but even if that never happens, the hatchery is viable as it sits provided we're not in a 100 year drought.

The folks at IAG are basically in the same boat I'm in - I can't open this year (the marina at South Lake I mean, Parchers will still be rolling) because there isn't enough snow/water, so I'll have to wait until there is enough water at which point you better freaking believe I'm going to reopen!!!

Also - for what it's worth, IAG is not the only trophy trout option for fisheries in California...even though I have no plans on spending money on fish this year due to the lack of water in South Lake, I happen to have talked with an alternate vendor yesterday on some of my neighbor's behalf about stocking our area with trophy trout and things look very promising.

Anyhow - that's that.

Smitty aka
Jared Smith
GM Parchers Resort / South Lake Boat Landing

TUNAVIC
03-20-2014, 08:51 AM
Wow,it's going to be intresting to see what the future holds on this one.

Cya Tuna Vic

seal
03-20-2014, 09:25 AM
I have a lot of respect for Ed but the tone of this article leaves much to be desired with regard to accuracy and I for one don't appreciate the doom and gloom, especially when Inland Aquaculture Group (Alpers Trout) is NOT going out of business, does NOT plan on closing down for good, and this does NOT mark the end of Alpers Trout in the Eastern Sierra.

The reality of this situation is that it will resolve itself if/when we get a good snowpack OR IAG can install an ag-well (preferably both will occur now that some pressure is on Mono County). This could happen as soon as 2015, especially with all the El Nino talk. It took 3 horrible winters for the water supply to be depleted enough to make hatchery operations impractical so while CalTrans & Mono County have some blame appropriately aimed their way, it really boils down to Mother Nature being a giant b#tch and it's impossible to mess with that given the current setup of the ranch. Expansion beyond their current operation, which up until the 3rd constitutive drought year was PLENTY to supply both Mono & Inyo counties with trophy fish, will require the well and some flexibility on the part of Cal Trans but even if that never happens, the hatchery is viable as it sits provided we're not in a 100 year drought.

The folks at IAG are basically in the same boat I'm in - I can't open this year because there isn't enough snow/water, so I'll have to wait until there is enough water at which point you better freaking believe I'm going to reopen!!!

Also - for what it's worth, IAG is not the only trophy trout option for fisheries in California...even though I have no plans on spending money on fish this year due to the lack of water in South Lake, I happen to have talked with an alternate vendor yesterday on some of my neighbor's behalf about stocking our area with trophy trout and things look very promising.

Anyhow - that's that.

Smitty aka
Jared Smith

I'm glad to hear that this article might be a bit overblown. My response is based on what I fear was a loss of another hatchery resource, after the loss of the Willow Beach hatchery this year and before that Lake Mead I have just had enough of hearing about resources being closed based on bureaucratic BS and well issues. Sure miss the Adopt a Creek program though.

Thanks for the probable positive outcome for the near future.

Yes El Nino is coming and now I'm hearing from my weather sources that it could be a SUPER El Nino like we had back in 97-98, don't want the floods but hey beggar's can't be chooser's.

Thank You!

Sierra_Smitty
03-20-2014, 09:45 AM
Yes El Nino is coming and now I'm hearing from my weather sources that it could be a SUPER El Nino like we had back in 97-98, don't want the floods but hey beggar's can't be chooser's.

Thank You!

Dude - bring on the El Nino!!!! If we have a 97/98 winter I might just be back in business in June next spring.....my pontoon boats are really missing the water hahahah.

flytyingreloader
03-24-2014, 02:14 PM
Thank you for a more balanced and reasoned view, Smitty. An El Nino cycle can do many good things for fishing--both salt- and fresh-water. Water situations in this crazy state are often a feast or famine model, exacerbated greatly by having 13 million people in a region (southern CA) with naturally-occurring water sources for 200K.

farhachris
03-28-2014, 04:28 PM
What ugly news, the Eastern Sierras and the Alpers are truly a gift to all of us. I hope both sides can come to an agreement soon and get back to business. In the meantime I will be looking for the natural trophies, like Brownies, Brookies, Bows, Cuts and the legendary Golden Trout. Keep your heads up everyone and have fun this season...........

IncredibleHuck
03-28-2014, 04:35 PM
In the meantime I will be looking for the natural trophies, like Brownies, Brookies, Bows, Cuts and the legendary Golden Trout. Keep your heads up everyone and have fun this season...........

Same here!!! There is a lot of those to be found. Just have to put the work in to do it.

SierraPeaks
03-30-2014, 11:07 AM

The folks at IAG are basically in the same boat I'm in - I can't open this year because there isn't enough snow/water, so I'll have to wait until there is enough water at which point you better freaking believe I'm going to reopen!!!

Anyhow - that's that.

Smitty aka
Jared Smith

Thanks for clearing things up Smitty. It seemed odd to me that they'd be shutting down completely and forever when Conway Ranch just signed a deal to stock Lake Gregory here in the San Bernardino mountains. I believe they are even going to build a hatchery here.