PDA

View Full Version : Newport jetty fishing 3/19/14

benichi
03-19-2014, 05:30 PM
water is crystal clear.. got there before sun up even though there was tons of traffic at 4am hit the surf first but no takers on the LC's.. after sun up I switched to the plastics and headed down the jetty fishing.. lots of small fish no big ones to be seen but caught a mixed bag today kinda fun..

there were tons of people out!!!

4 halibut short biggest was 17"
6 sand bass
1 calico bass

left because these Spanish guys kept following me around asking for my fish "pissed me off" they had 7 rods out with bait only 2 guys. I would say in there 20's. the one guy I talked to who would not leave me alone. when I told him about the 1 or 2 rod limit said they dont even have fishing license and they never get checked out there... they never caught anything when I was there but still not cool.. when I left there, there was a Newport officer parked right at the park I told him there are guys fishing illegally on the jetty... his words I quote to you " yeah they do that all the time nothing i can do".... so I left kinda pissed off around noon.

pics

sorry phone died so I only have a couple..

and yes they are small fish baby baby lol

Wingnut
03-19-2014, 05:36 PM
I see where your frustration is coming from...
Just so you know. They don't need a license to fish on the jetties. There are no rod limits in saltwater.
That's why the warden can't do anything... just make sure they don't keep illegal catches is all that you can do... :Neutral:
Thanks for the report and keep up the good work out there. :Cool:

benichi
03-19-2014, 05:41 PM
I see where your frustration is coming from...
Just so you know. They don't need a license to fish on the jetties. There are no rod limits in saltwater.
That's why the warden can't do anything... just make sure they don't keep illegal catches is all that you can do... :Neutral:
Thanks for the report and keep up the good work out there. :Cool:

oh really I did not know that!! that makes me feel better but they still wanted my fish and they were all way under size... but thank you for clearing that up.. explains why there are so many people fishing them..

anchor3n1
03-19-2014, 10:16 PM
Hey benichi

At least you got out there, experienced a beautiful morning on the water and got to catch fish too:Razz:

You've been doing well lately. Keep the reports coming.

take care,

Nick

murrieta angler
03-20-2014, 03:17 PM
Good job with a nice assortment of fish.. :Smile:
Try not to sweat others while out fishing, but if they are breaking the law, by all means, let'em have it...I DO! :Twisted:
Thanks for sharing,
Robert
<><

benichi
03-20-2014, 03:29 PM
Good job with a nice assortment of fish.. :Smile:
Try not to sweat others while out fishing, but if they are breaking the law, by all means, let'em have it...I DO! :Twisted:
Thanks for sharing,
Robert
<><

thank man I agree with ya... but one thing I know.. I need to find some bigger fish lol!!

khoang21
03-20-2014, 04:07 PM
Nice catches!. I used to go to LB jettie and get the same problems. Now jetties are completely overfished:Crying:

bachiboy
03-20-2014, 04:40 PM
Small fish better than no fish, eh?:Wink: At least you were able to get out there and enjoy the day...even with the guy lurking about. Nice going!

Don

PTN
03-21-2014, 10:36 AM
That's one of the reasons why I try to avoid jetties/piers now. Just too many people and then you have the ones that really boil your blood.:Confused: You do meet some good people here and there though. There is one guy who goes there daily that helped me out by sharing his live bait with me and showing me how to fish that jetty. At least you caught some fish though!

-Peter

benichi
03-21-2014, 11:27 AM
I really need a yak cant wait I have had my eye on them for 2 years I think this is the year I am going to buy one