PDA

View Full Version : Campgrounds for early season creek fishing

chappy23us
03-19-2014, 04:15 PM
For the past 20 years I've gone up to the Eastern Sierras to fish the general trout season but I have never fished the early March creek season. (south of Independence and west of HWY 395) My kids are on spring break next week and they are itching to go fishing so I was considering heading up with my popup trailer but I don't know where to camp or even if we can. Does anyone have any suggestions/knowledge about campgrounds available this time of year? I was looking at Diaz Lake and Boulder Creek but the wife is not too enthused about either. Thanks for any responses folks.

Captwoody
03-22-2014, 02:41 PM
i am going to tuttle creek creek blm campground its up the road to whitney portal ,pit toilets ,somtimes water,tuttle creek is right there you can fish at the back of a lot of the camp spots which are on the creek,lower elevation so less likely to see bears, but still take precautions. think its 5 bucs

chappy23us
03-22-2014, 08:58 PM
After much debate the family and I have decided to hit Shaver Lake on the western side of the Sierras. Never been up there but we are hoping to pick up a few rainbows. Anybody have any tips on fishing Shaver?

lucky1
04-01-2014, 01:06 PM
My dad worked for SCE and we used to go camping there quite often. Most of the time the best fishing we found was at Dinkey Creek. Another place we liked to fish was back were the creek comes into the lake or in the creek itself and Wishon reservoir. If you're feeling adventurous drive to Florence Lake it's beautiful, but it's a day trip for sure. Shaver Lake was drained about two years ago to repair the dam, not sure how full it is.

http://forum.wonews.com/3dissue/won2014/wonnorth20140411sja/index.html