PDA

View Full Version : PIGGY BEACH - Our own piggy paradise (Video)

anchor3n1
03-18-2014, 01:13 AM
WHAT IF...
What if you found a beach in Southern California that has never been fished before, I mean ever?
What if this beach was so beautiful, pristine and so full of amazing structure (troughs, easy rips & holes)?
What if the fish at this beach have never seen a lure much less a LC before, ever?

Well...what if???

SOME OTHER QUESTIONS
What do you suppose the fish we be like at this beach?
How would they react to seeing a lure, a really "tasty lure" for the first time?

Is this just a dream, a fantasy, something plain ridiculous?

THE REALITY
I have tried to go to this one AO for several months now with my friend Harold my retired army friend whom I am teaching surf fishing to. Actually yesterday as I write this, I finally made it (the previous 3 times we couldn't hit due to weather and an injury). But this time we made it, plus Scott (Bassmeiter) joined us too.

So we get to the AO and scope it out again and find the most amazing beach scene you will ever see. There were beautiful flower and plant covered dunes, an amazing pristine beach both long and full of structure was far as the eye could see. Waves were just right and spread right in from of us as we walk onto the beach was a nice trough. This place had no foot prints, trash, or basically any marks of human presence. It looked like no one had been here. We couldn't believe our eyes! It was ridiculous - crazy ridiculous. It's a fisherman's dream!!!

Let's go for it!!!!

OUR PLAN
We first wanted to make sure that Harold catches fish and as he is still getting comfortable with it. We set him up with my daughter's spinning real with a Carolina rig and a bag of BG sand worms (2" camo). Scott and I are hoping to locate some hally butts and we were hopeful cuz it is close to grunion time. So we are armed with LC110s. We google earthed the place before hand and this place looked absolutely amazing.

RESULTS
Like the title says, we didn't find any flatties but what we did find was totally off the charts. The Barred Surf Perch (BSPs, piggys) were swarming this place. Every cast we got hits sometimes multiple hits and more often than not we hooked up. The piggs were huge and slamming the LC like freight trains. And here's the thing: these fish have never seen a lure (or bait with a hook in it for that matter) in there life cuz this beach has never been fished I'm tell ya!!

VIDEO OF SOME OF THE ACTION

I hope you like it.

All the best to you,

Nick

So without further ado, the video

http://youtu.be/bPOmsNU-XGE

bachiboy
03-18-2014, 09:12 AM
That was a great pig party there. Glad to see Harold is out and about. Hope he's healing up well. Good to see that spot produce for you...it was just a matter of time.:Wink:

Great video and report Nick!
Don

bassmeister
03-18-2014, 12:43 PM
What a morning Nick. Thanks for the invite to play with the piggies.
Can't wait till next outing, we gonna have to find the flatties.
Nice write up and great job in the video.
It was nice to finally meet up with the fishing machine iron man Harold.
Next time we not gonna be so lenient with the fish and Harold will score the big flattie and put us to shame LOL.
See you brothas at the end of the month. Erik should be back from his adventure by then and we will have a party at the next AO.

Scott

benichi
03-18-2014, 01:17 PM
great report

great job getting those piggies...

murrieta angler
03-19-2014, 09:25 AM
Hey Nick,
Good to see you found a little bit of paradise.. :Smile:
He made it just for you, me, well everyone!...:Big Grin:
Thanks for sharing Bro,
Robert
<><

PTN
03-19-2014, 09:30 AM
Great job out there guys. The place does look amazing and great job on the video/report. Must have been paradise fishing at a beach that looks like there has been no human presence :Envious:.

-Peter

5150fishn
03-19-2014, 10:29 AM
It appears you found your own little gem beach! Congrats on the piggie perch. Great video!

midgettosser1
03-19-2014, 12:33 PM
Thats an elephant seal pup, not a sea lion. Pretty cool.

Furthest south I've ever seen was on the beach in Santa Barbara.

bassmeister
03-19-2014, 01:37 PM
Yeah that's what the Channel Island Game management called him. After Harold alerted the Ranger (we thought the little guy was injured or sick) Ranger called the Game Management and they put a yellow tape border with a poster on a stake giving the info. that the pup was weaning on the beach and preparing to molt. When we got to the AO we could see the Mother of the pup hanging around the surf breaks and she was a big one. We were so happy to find out the cute little guy was going to be OK!!!!!!

skunked4life
03-19-2014, 01:43 PM
Very nice!

The thing with "what ifs" is the if you believe, they no longer stay "what if" but rather "what the???" That's what I was saying when I watched the video. It's like you found perch heaven.

Great job out there!

Skunked4life

Wingnut
03-19-2014, 05:38 PM
Man, there are some TOADS at that beach... nice discovery Nick. :Wink:
Love the videos! :Big Grin:

anchor3n1
03-19-2014, 10:37 PM
That was a great pig party there. Glad to see Harold is out and about. Hope he's healing up well. Good to see that spot produce for you...it was just a matter of time.:Wink:

Hi Don:

Yes Harold healed up fine and was begging to go back out. And, yes I finally got to taste the new AO finally:EyePop:

all the best,

Nick

What a morning Nick. Thanks for the invite to play with the piggies.
Scott

I'm glad I got to get you out there on them pigs, Scott. They seemed to be literally SWARMING that AO:Shocked:

great report

great job getting those piggies...

Thanks benichi

Hey Nick,
Good to see you found a little bit of paradise.. :Smile:
He made it just for you, me, well everyone!...:Big Grin:
<><

My dear brother Robert:

good to hear from ya:Surprised: I've been thinking of you lately. I hope you are being blessed.
And I agree with you -Yes HE did!

The place does look amazing and great job on the video/report. Must have been paradise fishing at a beach that looks like there has been no human presence :Envious:.

Hi Peter

It was an amazing spot and I am glad we got it on video. We wanted to find some bigger prey (except Harold we set him for BSPs) but a swarm of hungry pigs is pretty fun, too

take care,

Nick

It appears you found your own little gem beach! Congrats on the piggie perch. Great video!
Thanks 5150fishn:Big Grin:

Nick

Yikes, looks like I'll might need to edit the video:EyePop:

take care,

Nick

Very nice!

The thing with "what ifs" is the if you believe, they no longer stay "what if" but rather "what the???" That's what I was saying when I watched the video. It's like you found perch heaven.

Hi Ken

I like that. It wasn't our goal that day (perchies at the new AO) but it sure was a cool finding a whole "hive" of the big boys & girls anyway!

Hope your being blessed my friend,

Nick

Man, there are some TOADS at that beach... nice discovery Nick. :Wink:
Love the videos! :Big Grin:

Thanks my friend,

Nick

ErikAllen17
03-20-2014, 07:45 AM
I haven't fished in 3 weeks... longest "dry" stretch since I got serious about fishing about a year ago. I took solace in the fact that I was going to be in the sand on Friday (tomorrow).

But the wife and I have been planning a little get away and the prep for it has gotten in the way of sand time. But, it promised to be a good time... so we pack up the Tahoe, dropped our kids off at school and with the sitter and we head to Vegas for a couple of days. It's our first overnight (2 nights actually) vacation we've have without kids in several years. Long deserved, seriously overdue and I should be stoked right? I am... but I really have the itch to fish! So we arrive in Vegas and later that night, I'm finally settling in and having a great time with my wife and parents. We order some dinner, have a few drinks... at this point, fishing is pretty far down on my totem pole. As I'm taking a sip of my large glass of Big Sky Moose Drool on tap (mmmmm....), I get a text from Nick. Oh, I wonder what Nicky wants...

http://www.allenpix.com/erik/boards/fishing/MNAS_03-17-2014-01.jpg

Well, this sounds intriguing... so I scroll down a little more and am greeted with this picture:

http://www.allenpix.com/erik/boards/fishing/MNAS_03-17-2014-02.jpg

Really, Nicky? Ya' gotta shoot me a picture of Scott catching the biggest BSP on planet earth??? On a trip I would've been on if I were home? "WAITRESS!!!! Another large Moose Drool please... and keep them coming!"

Looks like a great time out there guys... now that you've done all the hard work finding the fish, just point me in the right direction so I can slay them! Hope you guys had a good time catching all those fish, because tomorrow... I'm baaaaack!

anchor3n1
03-21-2014, 09:36 PM
Looks like a great time out there guys... now that you've done all the hard work finding the fish, just point me in the right direction so I can slay them! Hope you guys had a good time catching all those fish, because tomorrow... I'm baaaaack!

It was so much fun and totally surprised us as the big BSP were as thick as "fleas on a dawg". And it was still about 4 hours till HT, too. If there were any other prey in those waters those toadies were overpopulating the place - no more elbow room for them HaHa:EyePop:

Jaysuuun
03-23-2014, 02:40 AM
An untouched beach!? Whoa nice find! Must have been nice having the beach all to yourselves. BTW cool vids. Every time I decide to take my gopro out the fish seem to get camera shy :(

anchor3n1
03-24-2014, 10:59 PM
An untouched beach!? Whoa nice find! Must have been nice having the beach all to yourselves. BTW cool vids. Every time I decide to take my gopro out the fish seem to get camera shy :(

Hi Jason

Thanks. I think I'm getting better at this go pro thang:Shocked: it's sure fun to watch the fish session on video. However, I really look forward to seeing you capture some of your epic sessions on video this year (like that session last Sept with Tess, you the halleys and WSBs).

Take care,

Nick