PDA

View Full Version : S.W.A.T. Sunday 3/16 Session - Hitting the Surf with Da Boyz.

Wingnut
03-17-2014, 07:41 PM
This will be a rather quick report...

I haven't been able to get out to the surf much...
With business priorities and a couple of bumps in the road of life demanding my close attention at the moment. Unfortunately, fishing always takes a back seat to these kind of things... No worries, the fish, the ocean, will always be there... waiting.

The last time I hit the surf and posted a report was February 9th... and I miss it.
I originally had family plans on Sunday to attend my niece's hockey game, but my sister called and said that they didn't make the finals of the tournament so there was no game. Saturday night, sitting at our monthly family/friends poker tournament table, Binh (Badbeat) and Sokha (Troublehook) says let's go fishing! We originally were going to take the S.W.A.T. Assault Vessel out to the Newport Harbor to fish for some Spotties, but I had to be home by noon so we decided to hit the surf instead.

Deciding on an A.O. to hit, I almost made the call to hit Halibut Heaven, the spot where Ken (Skunked4life), Don (Bachiboy), Dan (SP Dan), Jonathan (ToadsOnly) and a few other guys have been killing it on and off with the legal Flatties for the last couple of months... but decided to go elsewhere. Maybe, that was the wrong decision... :Embarrassed: Just check out Ken's (Skunked4life) report... You Da Man Ken! :Envious:

I got knocked out in 5th place at the final table and told Binh and Sokha to pick me up no later than 5:30am.
Well, I should know these boys by now... they're always tardy whenever we hit the surf. Sure enough, it was around 6:15am by the time we gassed up and hit the road. We're gonna miss the grey light. :Angry:

We get to the spot and the sun was out and a few surfers were starting to paddle out. I was hoping to get a solid hour in at grey light before these guys start showing up, oh well... let's make the best of it.

Conditions: Clear and sunny morning, light off shore wind, rapid incoming tide, 2-3 ft swells, 5-10 second intervals, water temp. unknown, water clarity good, light salad condition, no bait fish presence.

Session duration: 7:30am - 9:30am. We left an hour early because Binh dropped his set-up in the surf and his Curado was rendered useless... lol

Towards the end of the session, we ran into one of my S.W.A.T Brothers, Robert (Murrieta Angler) on the sand... very cool to see you bro. It was great hanging with you for a bit and catch up on things... :Big Grin:

Binh and Sokha, I think you guys left your luck at the poker table. :Wink: Better luck next time boys and try to be on time for once! :LOL:

Have a great week everybody!

Arthur (Wingnut)

"I'd rather have a few days of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special..."

My 3rd Legal Halibut of the year in as many sessions... :Razz:
We all have to try and chase Ken (Skunked4life), I think he's up to something like 13 legals already this year... :EyePop: :Envious:
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut%2012/Wingnut%2013/P1140381.jpg (http://s143.photobucket.com/user/Wingnut32566/media/Wingnut%2012/Wingnut%2013/P1140381.jpg.html)

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut%2012/Wingnut%2013/P1140383.jpg (http://s143.photobucket.com/user/Wingnut32566/media/Wingnut%2012/Wingnut%2013/P1140383.jpg.html)

Solid 28" Hali. I kept my first two legals of the year and decided to release this one. Never keep more than you need... :Cool:
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut%2012/Wingnut%2013/P1140385.jpg (http://s143.photobucket.com/user/Wingnut32566/media/Wingnut%2012/Wingnut%2013/P1140385.jpg.html)

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut%2012/Wingnut%2013/P1140386.jpg (http://s143.photobucket.com/user/Wingnut32566/media/Wingnut%2012/Wingnut%2013/P1140386.jpg.html)

Robert (Murrieta Angler), My Brother in Christ. :Big Grin:
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut%2012/Wingnut%2013/P1140387.jpg (http://s143.photobucket.com/user/Wingnut32566/media/Wingnut%2012/Wingnut%2013/P1140387.jpg.html)

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut%2012/Wingnut%2013/P1140388.jpg (http://s143.photobucket.com/user/Wingnut32566/media/Wingnut%2012/Wingnut%2013/P1140388.jpg.html)

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut%2012/Wingnut%2013/P1140390.jpg (http://s143.photobucket.com/user/Wingnut32566/media/Wingnut%2012/Wingnut%2013/P1140390.jpg.html)

We met Tomar19 out there... very nice to meet and talked to you bro. :Cool:
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut%2012/Wingnut%2013/P1140391.jpg (http://s143.photobucket.com/user/Wingnut32566/media/Wingnut%2012/Wingnut%2013/P1140391.jpg.html)

Hardcore! I think he said he Rode his bike from Palmdale or Palm Springs to hit the surf. :Shocked:
Good luck and welcome to the "addiction" my friend. :Wink:
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut%2012/Wingnut%2013/P1140392.jpg (http://s143.photobucket.com/user/Wingnut32566/media/Wingnut%2012/Wingnut%2013/P1140392.jpg.html)

Parting shot.

Romeo is hungry again... :LOL:
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut%2012/Wingnut%2013/ROMEO1.jpg (http://s143.photobucket.com/user/Wingnut32566/media/Wingnut%2012/Wingnut%2013/ROMEO1.jpg.html)

skunked4life
03-17-2014, 07:51 PM
Commander!

Batting 1.000!!! That is an amazing accomplishment in and of itself!

Great to see a report from you again my friend, brother and fearless leader! That is a solid butt and I have a feeling that you are going to catch up real soon. Trust me, I am constantly looking over my shoulder to see when you pull the next rabbit out of your hat! It's been too long sir, let's fish sometime soon.

Ken

bones
03-17-2014, 08:16 PM
Awwww..... My heart just smiled!
Very nice flattie indeed bro!
So heart warming to see the brothas back on the sand with so many smiles. I'm glad you had the chance to get some salt in your face Arthur and the company.... I can see it was second to none.
Keep up the great work my friend and we shall talk soon. I finally got all of my gear back from the various manufactures and I'm ready to get my Butt kicking on.

SP Dan
03-17-2014, 08:21 PM
Hi ya Brotha Arthur!

"Release the Wingnut!" WOW! ... a solid 28" .... WTG! :Big Smile::Applause: That's a very respectable looking fish Sir!
On the very same day ... both you and Ken had landed some amazing fish and had both SWAT'd me right out of my short lived lead for having the largest 2014 Halibut to date. :UDaMan: UDaMan!

That legal Hali was worth the whole trip and sharing the day with good friends ..... well, it just doesn't get much better than that! :Thumbs Up:

You were in the good company with Robert aka: Murrieta Angler, Binh aka: Badbeat and Sokha aka: Troublehook.

Reserved for later ...... OKAY It's now later ....... I went fishing during tonight's grunion run!
2:00 AM and I'm at home from fishing and I am piggy-backing your report and yes .... the grunion showed up but no Halibut encounters to report Sir. :Cool:
I hooked up with Peter, Raney, Danny, Jonathan (Raney's Brother) during tonight's grunion run. Jonathan beached a short WSB, I'm guessing it to be 20-inches +. :Dancing Banana:Amazing!

I have to be up in 1 1/2 hours for work ..... so ... :Cool: signing off

SP Dan <"))><

PONTOON
03-17-2014, 08:41 PM
Arthur,

It's a good feeling to hear that you were able to get your feet back in the sand and bring another nice fish to the beach! :Cool:

I'm just hoping you and I can fulfill that agreement to meet up and fish real soon. I've got a hall pass coming when the Boss leaves for Europe......:Thumbs Up:

Great report Arthur......I'll see you soon.

Jaysuuun
03-17-2014, 08:52 PM
Welcome back Commander! It must have been a good feeling to come back and have a nice flattie waiting for you. Tess and I are still looking for our first legals of the year. We all need to catch up to Brotha Ken. He's dominating the leaderboards!

Sent from my iPhone

bassmeister
03-17-2014, 10:14 PM
Great looking Halibut Arthur, for sure had to be a great fight.

dlmoo312
03-17-2014, 10:22 PM
It's great to see a report from you, commander! :Big Grin:
It was nice to receive those update texts from you and a couple other SWAT brothers. You guys did some damage this weekend with a few real quality fish.
I need to get out there too before things truly get busy for me in a few months, and Thien really needs to get out there before his SWAT invitation gets revoked! :LOL:
Congrats on the legal. I know there'll be many many more to come!

-Daniel

bbqsushi
03-17-2014, 10:37 PM
Nice to see you back on the boards brother!! Seems like its been a busy couple of months for a bunch of us! Well, except for Don, who, despite the fact that hea juuust getting busy with work, managed to get out on Sunday too. Anyway, hell of a fish there Capitan! Most impressive. I look forward to another sesh sometime soon.

Nate

bachiboy
03-17-2014, 11:18 PM
Very nice fish sir! I'm just glad that you were finally able to squeeze out a session. You've been due for a day out in the suds with everything going on in your life. Cap it all off with a fish like that and I'd say that you made the most of it.:Wink: Things have been pretty slow out there till this last week so you're timing to jump back in seems to be right on. Hope you get in some more sessions soon!

Congrats!
Don

jerryG
03-17-2014, 11:19 PM
Nice Arthur.. If there is one to be found chances are you will find it.. I like the fact that you could have gone for the kill but decided to save it for another day.. More so this time of year than any other with the fish headed in to spawn I would encourage others to give extra consideration in deciding to release a legal especially a larger halibut which most often seem to be (loaded with eggs) female. The bigger the fish the bigger the impact and the more fish that make it through spawn the more fish that we will have to catch in the years to come. Well done Arthur.. Nice to see you out again..

JerryG

exfactor
03-18-2014, 06:01 AM
That was a great smile you shared with us there Arthur! The fish did a good job of bringing that out in you. Seems we always have to wait our turn up here, and hope to share a smile back soon. The gang is locked and loaded.

Which Way Out
03-18-2014, 06:10 AM
He's baaack!

Didn't even miss a beat did ya? Great to see the crew together like that as well.
We are getting some big waves up this way, but Roy's back in town and Mikey's feeling better,,,, So 30+ is the goal.

Take care buddy and feed Romeo he's still growing...

WWO

tomar19
03-18-2014, 09:03 AM
Way to go getting some much needed time on the surf, and making the most of it! 3 for 3 on landing legals, you definitely have your game right. I'm glad my morning detour helped us cross paths. It was great talking with you and meeting up with some of the members of our fishing community here. Hopefully we will cross paths again soon.

Regards,

Tony

anchor3n1
03-18-2014, 09:45 AM
Way to go Arthur!!! It warms by heart, bro, that you got to get out there for a quick successful 'search & destroy' mission. I know that you have been so busy with work but I hope that soon things will start to calm down for you (praying for it) and that you get to find more time for one of your passions - fishing and friends (family & fun too :LOL:)!!!

Blessings and goodness to you,

Nick

ps: love the classic "Arthur" pose with the pole and butt:Razz:

onekrzyboi
03-18-2014, 03:14 PM
Nice catch as always. I haven't been around as often as I like/should but it's my favorite time of the year to hit the surf again. I know I'll see you soon buddy. I want to hold an upside down butt while doing the "wingnut pose."

-Danny

PTN
03-19-2014, 09:16 AM
Pulled a rabbit out the hat again :Not Worthy:. Awesome report as always and love the quote. You can see all the camaraderie from all the smiles in the pictures. I feel like a zombie from last night but it was a pleasure and fun to fish with you again. I'm sure you feel worse than I do :LOL:. You got some work to do to catch up the the leader count :Wink:.

-Peter

5150fishn
03-19-2014, 10:17 AM
Great to see you got out in the surf Arthur! Impressive 3 for 3 streak you have going there my friend. I have yet to hit the surf this year but I am living vicariously through the rest of you. Hopefully I can find time soon.
Thanks for the report and pics!

murrieta angler
03-19-2014, 07:54 PM
How did I miss this earlier...:Confused:

Arturo,
It was a pleasant surprise to see you, Binh and Sokha Sunday morning...:Big Grin:
The time spent was short, but it was quality time in my book.
Things will work out the way He wants them to, but you know that.
When I get back from New Orleans, Cozumel and Yucatan, we will hit the surf for some bigger WSB...:Wink:
Take Care Brotha & May God Bless You,
Robert
<><

Badbeat
03-21-2014, 05:48 PM
Never cease to amaze me on how you always manage to pull those halibut out Art.
Sokha standing to your left I'm standing to your right doing the same thing and the halibut bit your LC. :Envious:
Let's do it again soon brotha. Wish us luck on the 3/4 day boat Sunday. :Wink:

Oh, by the way, I blame Sokha for being late, I was waiting for him to pick me up. :LOL:

Rooster
03-21-2014, 08:06 PM
Great report and pics Commander. Really good to see you got to get on some fish with the crew. Props

simijab
03-22-2014, 09:17 PM
Glad to see you back out there Arthur. Ive been waiting to see you start hitting the surf again. Nicol and I have been itching to use our certificates we won at the last HG event

troublehook
03-31-2014, 08:59 AM
First off all, sorry for being late again Commander. :Embarrassed:
Secondly, you never cease to amaze us by pulling that rabbit out of the hat.
Binh and I have been too busy chasing Stripers, but being out there with you reminded us of how much fun it is.
Hope to fish with you again soon bro. :Cool:

Wingnut
03-31-2014, 06:49 PM
Commander!

Batting 1.000!!! That is an amazing accomplishment in and of itself!

Great to see a report from you again my friend, brother and fearless leader! That is a solid butt and I have a feeling that you are going to catch up real soon. Trust me, I am constantly looking over my shoulder to see when you pull the next rabbit out of your hat! It's been too long sir, let's fish sometime soon.

Ken
Brother Ken, I don't think there's enough Rabbits in my hat to catch you any time soon... :LOL:
Enjoy the ride my friend. :Big Grin:

Awwww..... My heart just smiled!
Very nice flattie indeed bro!
So heart warming to see the brothas back on the sand with so many smiles. I'm glad you had the chance to get some salt in your face Arthur and the company.... I can see it was second to none.
Keep up the great work my friend and we shall talk soon. I finally got all of my gear back from the various manufactures and I'm ready to get my Butt kicking on.
Lieutenant, the Flatties in your backyard are still in hibernation, lol
Let's hit the road and hunt them down. :Twisted:
We better start planning for HG6... it'll be here before we know it. :Wink:

Hi ya Brotha Arthur!

"Release the Wingnut!" WOW! ... a solid 28" .... WTG! :Big Smile::Applause: That's a very respectable looking fish Sir!
On the very same day ... both you and Ken had landed some amazing fish and had both SWAT'd me right out of my short lived lead for having the largest 2014 Halibut to date. :UDaMan: UDaMan!

That legal Hali was worth the whole trip and sharing the day with good friends ..... well, it just doesn't get much better than that! :Thumbs Up:

You were in the good company with Robert aka: Murrieta Angler, Binh aka: Badbeat and Sokha aka: Troublehook.

Reserved for later ...... OKAY It's now later ....... I went fishing during tonight's grunion run!
2:00 AM and I'm at home from fishing and I am piggy-backing your report and yes .... the grunion showed up but no Halibut encounters to report Sir. :Cool:
I hooked up with Peter, Raney, Danny, Jonathan (Raney's Brother) during tonight's grunion run. Jonathan beached a short WSB, I'm guessing it to be 20-inches +. :Dancing Banana:Amazing!

I have to be up in 1 1/2 hours for work ..... so ... :Cool: signing off

SP Dan <"))><
Brother Dan, the most important thing is that you feel better and back out there again. :Big Grin:
The Grunions are running again... you fishing with Peter tonight? :Wink:

Arthur,

It's a good feeling to hear that you were able to get your feet back in the sand and bring another nice fish to the beach! :Cool:

I'm just hoping you and I can fulfill that agreement to meet up and fish real soon. I've got a hall pass coming when the Boss leaves for Europe......:Thumbs Up:

Great report Arthur......I'll see you soon.
Let me know when you're ready Terry and we'll make it happen. :Big Grin:
Hope all is well with you my friend and I'm looking forward to our surf session. :Cool:

Welcome back Commander! It must have been a good feeling to come back and have a nice flattie waiting for you. Tess and I are still looking for our first legals of the year. We all need to catch up to Brotha Ken. He's dominating the leaderboards!

Sent from my iPhone
Yeah, it was nice to nab a legal... but it was nicer just to get a chance to be out there in the surf again.
Hope all is well with you and Tess. You need to get back out there and test out those new Simms waders bro. :Wink:

Great looking Halibut Arthur, for sure had to be a great fight.
It fought pretty good... I think the hardest fighting Halibut are between 22 - 30 inches. :Razz:

It's great to see a report from you, commander! :Big Grin:
It was nice to receive those update texts from you and a couple other SWAT brothers. You guys did some damage this weekend with a few real quality fish.
I need to get out there too before things truly get busy for me in a few months, and Thien really needs to get out there before his SWAT invitation gets revoked! :LOL:
Congrats on the legal. I know there'll be many many more to come!

-Daniel
Lol, yeah, you better get Thien out there before we forget what he looks like, lol :LOL:
Hope to see a report from both of you guys soon. :Wink:

Nice to see you back on the boards brother!! Seems like its been a busy couple of months for a bunch of us! Well, except for Don, who, despite the fact that hea juuust getting busy with work, managed to get out on Sunday too. Anyway, hell of a fish there Capitan! Most impressive. I look forward to another sesh sometime soon.

Nate
Hey, I heard about the little mishap on your trip... ouch. :Neutral: Glad that you're okay and hope to see you back in action soon Nate. :Cool:

Very nice fish sir! I'm just glad that you were finally able to squeeze out a session. You've been due for a day out in the suds with everything going on in your life. Cap it all off with a fish like that and I'd say that you made the most of it.:Wink: Things have been pretty slow out there till this last week so you're timing to jump back in seems to be right on. Hope you get in some more sessions soon!

Congrats!
Don
Taking it a day at a time my friend... things always has a way of working themselves out. :Wink:
Trying really hard to find some fishing time, any kind of fishing. Should have taken you up on your offer to fish Sunday morning... that would have saved me from a lot of aggravation. :Angry:
Let's see what happens this coming weekend... Congrats on the nice Halibut bro. :Envious:

Nice Arthur.. If there is one to be found chances are you will find it.. I like the fact that you could have gone for the kill but decided to save it for another day.. More so this time of year than any other with the fish headed in to spawn I would encourage others to give extra consideration in deciding to release a legal especially a larger halibut which most often seem to be (loaded with eggs) female. The bigger the fish the bigger the impact and the more fish that make it through spawn the more fish that we will have to catch in the years to come. Well done Arthur.. Nice to see you out again..

JerryG
Thanks Jerry, we need to fish together soon my friend. :Cool:
Good point on the release Jerry, I always make it a point to release the bigger female Halibut in the Spring because of the spawn.
Responsible angling, we all will benefit from it in the long run... :Big Grin:

That was a great smile you shared with us there Arthur! The fish did a good job of bringing that out in you. Seems we always have to wait our turn up here, and hope to share a smile back soon. The gang is locked and loaded.
I hope the Halibut bite picks upin the Northern region Mikey... you just say the word and I will be there!
You guys are also welcome to make the drive down South to join us at any time... :Big Grin:

He's baaack!

Didn't even miss a beat did ya? Great to see the crew together like that as well.
We are getting some big waves up this way, but Roy's back in town and Mikey's feeling better,,,, So 30+ is the goal.

Take care buddy and feed Romeo he's still growing...

WWO
Thanks Bill, good to be back, if only for a short session...
Hope all is well with you my friend and looking forward to the next time we meet on the sand. :Cool:

Way to go getting some much needed time on the surf, and making the most of it! 3 for 3 on landing legals, you definitely have your game right. I'm glad my morning detour helped us cross paths. It was great talking with you and meeting up with some of the members of our fishing community here. Hopefully we will cross paths again soon.

Regards,

Tony
Thanks Tony, I can tell from talking to you that you got the bug, and most importantly, the passion to succeed at surf fishing. I have no doubt that you will reach every goal you set for yourself. Good luck out there my friend. :Big Grin:

Way to go Arthur!!! It warms by heart, bro, that you got to get out there for a quick successful 'search & destroy' mission. I know that you have been so busy with work but I hope that soon things will start to calm down for you (praying for it) and that you get to find more time for one of your passions - fishing and friends (family & fun too :LOL:)!!!

Blessings and goodness to you,

Nick

ps: love the classic "Arthur" pose with the pole and butt:Razz:
As always, thank you for your thoughts and prayers Nick... I appreciate your kindness very much. :Razz:
We're in the process of planning for the HG6 Event. :Wink:
We do need to get together and fish sometime soon my friend. :Big Grin:

Nice catch as always. I haven't been around as often as I like/should but it's my favorite time of the year to hit the surf again. I know I'll see you soon buddy. I want to hold an upside down butt while doing the "wingnut pose."

-Danny
Go gettem' Danny! I'm so happy to see you come out of surf fishing retirement... :LOL:
I'm sure we'll be seeing a report with a "Induction" fish very soon. :Wink:

Pulled a rabbit out the hat again :Not Worthy:. Awesome report as always and love the quote. You can see all the camaraderie from all the smiles in the pictures. I feel like a zombie from last night but it was a pleasure and fun to fish with you again. I'm sure you feel worse than I do :LOL:. You got some work to do to catch up the the leader count :Wink:.

-Peter
Yeah, I was out of it the next day... I closed the office door and took a nap for a couple of hours. I'm glad that the "Boss" didn't catch me snoozing on the job, lol :LOL:
Good luck tonight if you're fishing the Grunion run... I'll be waiting for a text after midnight... :Wink:

Great to see you got out in the surf Arthur! Impressive 3 for 3 streak you have going there my friend. I have yet to hit the surf this year but I am living vicariously through the rest of you. Hopefully I can find time soon.
Thanks for the report and pics!
Thanks Dan... find some time and get out there my friend. You need some practice for HG6, we're currently planning for it right now. :Big Grin:

How did I miss this earlier...:Confused:

Arturo,
It was a pleasant surprise to see you, Binh and Sokha Sunday morning...:Big Grin:
The time spent was short, but it was quality time in my book.
Things will work out the way He wants them to, but you know that.
When I get back from New Orleans, Cozumel and Yucatan, we will hit the surf for some bigger WSB...:Wink:
Take Care Brotha & May God Bless You,
Robert
<><
Good time Robert, good times...
I hope you're all rest up from your vacation and ready to hit the surf again. :Wink:
There's report of some short WSB being caught up here bro... get ready! :Twisted:

Never cease to amaze me on how you always manage to pull those halibut out Art.
Sokha standing to your left I'm standing to your right doing the same thing and the halibut bit your LC. :Envious:
Let's do it again soon brotha. Wish us luck on the 3/4 day boat Sunday. :Wink:

Oh, by the way, I blame Sokha for being late, I was waiting for him to pick me up. :LOL:
I told you Binh, you have to talk to the Flatties... :Big Smile:
Well, we all know how well the 3/4 day boat went... :Angry:
See you soon bro...

Great report and pics Commander. Really good to see you got to get on some fish with the crew. Props
Thanks Rob... get ready for the HG6 Event... I'll be announcing the date soon... :Wink:

Glad to see you back out there Arthur. Ive been waiting to see you start hitting the surf again. Nicol and I have been itching to use our certificates we won at the last HG event
Hey Jeff, the fishing will only improve as we move further into the Spring season... I would punch those tickets soon. Just let me know which S.W.A.T. Member(s) you guys would like to fish with and I will set it up! :Big Grin:

First off all, sorry for being late again Commander. :Embarrassed:
Secondly, you never cease to amaze us by pulling that rabbit out of the hat.
Binh and I have been too busy chasing Stripers, but being out there with you reminded us of how much fun it is.
Hope to fish with you again soon bro. :Cool:
Yeah, yeah, yeah... excuses, excuses... I think you guys been late every single time that we hit the surf, lol :LOL:
If you want that first surf Halibut, you have to get out there early bro...
The Striper bite should be dying off right now, so put aside more time to hit the surf. :Wink: