PDA

View Full Version : First Report Oh So Close!

Raneman
03-17-2014, 05:56 PM
First let me start by introducing myself. My name is Raney and some of you may have met me from HG4,HG5,on the beach with Peter (PTN), and even in some reports. I've used alot of what I've learned on FNN and I hope I can start giving back with these reports.

So back in February of this year Arthur (Wingnut) invites me to take the challenge to become a S.W.A.T. member. I know I didn't show it but I was super stoked to even be considered. Yes, I would love take the challenge! I've probably been on 3 different trips to try and catch an induction fish. 2 of them would go for a skunk and only one fish for my last trip.

One of those trips we skunked on the beach so Peter, my brother Jonathan, and myself decide to hit up a nearby harbor. Our first thought was dang, we all left our swimbaits at home. Oh well, we ended up throwing our LCs and we run into a barracuda bite! We must've caught over 20 cudas in the span of an hour before the bite totally died down.

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h355/SaiyajinxRC/Fishing/585577AF-2697-4723-9253-163794046DAB_zpsdwzifjtf.jpg (http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/SaiyajinxRC/media/Fishing/585577AF-2697-4723-9253-163794046DAB_zpsdwzifjtf.jpg.html)

Peter even caught a surprise calico out the bunch.
http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h355/SaiyajinxRC/Fishing/5E68A6C8-9311-4892-AAF9-9A5D322507B3_zpseoh2aztm.jpg (http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/SaiyajinxRC/media/Fishing/5E68A6C8-9311-4892-AAF9-9A5D322507B3_zpseoh2aztm.jpg.html)

Saturday night Peter texts me to hit up a spot we haven't been to in a while. I text Danny (Dlo) who's also a S.W.A.T. Prospect to join in on the hunt. We get to the spot at greylight in hopes that the holes that's usually here was still there. It became apparent right away that it still was. I look over at Peter and tell him there's got to be something lurking here. We make our first few casts and we are greeted by a seal pup. Ugh, with all this nice structure I'm sure he's scared the fish away. We cast away from the water dog and we start bringing up salad on every retrieve. This might not be as good as we originally thought. Move over maybe 100 yards down to some more really nice looking structure and it was the same there. Our seal friend even made his way over to say hello again. We might be wasting our time here, Peter says let's try here for another 30 minutes and if things don't change we'll go to another beach.

So we head back to our original landing spot and a we try to find some clean water. I finally find a small stretch with little to no salad. Cast to my right with Peter close by when all of a sudden we both see a halibut jump clear out the water! :Shocked: Holy crap it's right next to the spot I just threw my LC! I crank my reel a couple of times and fish on! We were both in shock at the way this fish hit the lure. This kind of thing has never happened to me before. It was like a largemouth bass hitting a topwater frog. The fish takes 2 drag burning runs before I was finally able to beach it and for Peter to make the tail grab. DLo runs over and they both look at me and say "Dude this is your induction fish!" I'm all smiles to hear that. Well...we lay down the tape to get a measurement and it reads in at 27 3/4. Dlo is congratulating me but I had to break the news to him. "Guys, the induction size for halibut isn't 26 anymore, it's 28 now.":Explode: Oh so close, missed it by a 1/4 inch!

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h355/SaiyajinxRC/Fishing/A213CC43-8F09-4E23-873F-6D26D15F0CE5_zpswjkip3p4.jpg (http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/SaiyajinxRC/media/Fishing/A213CC43-8F09-4E23-873F-6D26D15F0CE5_zpswjkip3p4.jpg.html)

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h355/SaiyajinxRC/Fishing/78FC4084-589B-4481-A6AF-9A7F5864BA2D_zpsjf8csodx.jpg (http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/SaiyajinxRC/media/Fishing/78FC4084-589B-4481-A6AF-9A7F5864BA2D_zpsjf8csodx.jpg.html)

Barely hooked!
http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h355/SaiyajinxRC/Fishing/C8470AD1-A151-45D4-9ECC-40012FD05C42_zpssvtq344n.jpg (http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/SaiyajinxRC/media/Fishing/C8470AD1-A151-45D4-9ECC-40012FD05C42_zpssvtq344n.jpg.html)

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h355/SaiyajinxRC/Fishing/BBAFFA93-2489-4550-9605-0C533F2EBCBC_zpsunqb7gsz.jpg (http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/SaiyajinxRC/media/Fishing/BBAFFA93-2489-4550-9605-0C533F2EBCBC_zpsunqb7gsz.jpg.html)

I think I ended up remeasuring the fish a total of 7 times and even found a nice flat piece of wood to lay it on. I was a little bummed out that it wasn't "The one" but Peter lifted my spirits and told me that what just happened is nothing to be disappointed about. That is still a helluva fish. Thanks for the kinds words Peter. We tried for another hour or so to see if his buddies were around but nothing. All in all it was great to be fishing with my friends and catch a fish like that. Be on the lookout for more reports from me and wish me luck guys. The journey continues.

Thanks
Raney

tomar19
03-17-2014, 06:09 PM
Congrats on the nice fish. Great job on the report and pictures as well. I look forward to seeing the next report and hope to see your induction fish included. I'm new to the surf game, and looking for my first hali. I'd be stoked with a fish like that. Keep up the good work.

Regards,

Tony

skunked4life
03-17-2014, 06:55 PM
Dang Raney! When you texted me I immediately thought that you were official. Then you dropped the bombshell that the size requirements went up to 28". My heart sank! Still, that is a GREAT catch brother! Enjoy the challenge. I will tell you, it was the most challenging and exciting time for me last year! It helped me really step up my game and home my skills (skills that you no doubt already have). Most importantly, it allowed me to connect and share in fellowship with a lot of the other brothers and sister on a deeper level. Let's hook up soon!

Skunked4life

P.S. You guys made the right call that day to go to the rocks! Non-stop barracuda action? Wow!

dlmoo312
03-17-2014, 06:59 PM
Dude, so close!!! but that's a very nice fish nonetheless.
Goodluck to both you and Danny on your SWAT quest. :Thumbs Up:
Catching a 28er is tough but I know you guys can definitely get the job done.
Now if only I can convince our veteran prospect to get out there and complete his mission! :LOL: I know for sure these past reports will have an impact.
Keep it up!

-Daniel

khoang21
03-17-2014, 07:03 PM
keep it up!. Nice catch!!!

Wingnut
03-17-2014, 07:51 PM
Raney, I could tell you that I think the fish is close enough and good enough that I will accept it as your "induction" fish. But I know for a fact that you would turn me down. I know enough about you and your character to know that you will never settle for an "almost induction" fish. :Big Grin:

It's just a matter of time my friend and I wish you and Danny and Thien the best of luck capturing that "induction" fish. :Cool:
Have fun with it... there is no pressure, you are "already" a part of the S.W.A.T. Family. :Wink:

bachiboy
03-17-2014, 11:06 PM
No matter what, that is a great catch Raney! That extra 1/4" is coming soon. Sounds like the big girls are starting to come out to play so keep at it and we'll be reading that glory report REAL soon.:Wink: Great report and congrats on a nice flattie!

Don

titos334
03-18-2014, 03:16 AM
Weird you caught fish in that harbor, it's been rumored game fish are extinct in it.

SP Dan
03-18-2014, 09:33 AM
Hi ya Brotha Raney,

That was a trophy of a fish; for certain, that you beached Sir! :Thumbs Up:

I like your style of honesty and the pride that you exhibit in our sport ... no short cuts and no give-me's on your induction fish!
It's just a matter of time my friend, Poseidon will have a worthy induction fish ready for you.
Heck ... I haven't seen a Halibut as an induction fish in a while and I think it's about time for one .... don't you .... eh!?

Have a great adventure as you target your induction fish Brotha!

Thanx for the "Oh ... so close but no cigar" fun read with pic's. :Cool:

PS ..... It was really great to have hooked up with you, Peter, Danny and Jonathan last night! :Wink:

SP Dan <"))><

anchor3n1
03-18-2014, 09:56 AM
Hi Raney

Great report. I like your writing - fun to read. You had an excellent outing there and landed some great fish. Keep it up. I am positive you will "score" the induction fishy soon, very soon.

All the best,

Nick

onekrzyboi
03-18-2014, 03:07 PM
Oh so close Raney. I thought for sure it would be your induction fish! You'll get her soon enough. I'm going for the record... for being the longest prospect before getting that "induction" fish :LOL: It just feels great to be out on the water. It's that time of the year again!

-Danny

TUNAVIC
03-18-2014, 03:27 PM
Very cool read,nice going on the pencils,nice calico,and the butt was something sweet,when you said so close,and then I saw the tape I thought "so close" that's babies way legal!
Then I realized the induction part of the story,still one nice catch,can't wait to see you 28"plus,I'm sure it will be soon! WTG.

Cya Tuna Vic

PTN
03-19-2014, 09:11 AM
Raney, you were so close to that induction fish. I knew it would be at least a legal when I saw that tail flip out of the water to hit your lure. You'll get that challenge done in no time. At least you got some dinner and more will to catch bigger fish. I got out-fished again :Crying::LOL:. See you soon and you kind of missed out last night :Secret:.

-Peter

murrieta angler
03-19-2014, 09:42 AM
SO CLOSE!!!
Raney, I wasn't aware that the new induction size had been increased....who does that guy think he is?!? :LOL:
I'm sure you weren't too bummed though, that is a great fish to land in the surf.
I had been at that beach on Tuesday and it was junk. I did a quick recon at low tide to see if any new structure had formed...I GUESS YOU FOUND THE SPOT... :Envious:
Keep at it and the induction fish will come soon enough. It's shaping up to be a sweet year in the surf.
Take care Bro,
Robert
<><

murrieta angler
03-19-2014, 09:46 AM
Oh so close Raney. I thought for sure it would be your induction fish! You'll get her soon enough. I'm going for the record... for being the longest prospect before getting that "induction" fish :LOL: It just feels great to be out on the water. It's that time of the year again!

-Danny

I guess you haven't met Thien......OUCH!!!! just messin with ya Thien...:Rolls Eyes:

5150fishn
03-19-2014, 10:22 AM
Sounds like a great day on the water with friends! Congrats on the nice Hali even if is was just short of your induction fish.
Your fish will come and it will be that much better when it does. Enjoy the quest!

skunked4life
03-19-2014, 10:23 AM
I guess you haven't met Thien......OUCH!!!! just messin with ya Thien...:Rolls Eyes:

Dang Robert...that's cooold.:Cold Fishing:

Raneman
03-19-2014, 07:18 PM
Congrats on the nice fish. Great job on the report and pictures as well. I look forward to seeing the next report and hope to see your induction fish included. I'm new to the surf game, and looking for my first hali. I'd be stoked with a fish like that. Keep up the good work.

Regards,

Tony

Thanks Tony, keep at it man! I'm sure your first hali will come soon.

Dang Raney! When you texted me I immediately thought that you were official. Then you dropped the bombshell that the size requirements went up to 28". My heart sank! Still, that is a GREAT catch brother! Enjoy the challenge. I will tell you, it was the most challenging and exciting time for me last year! It helped me really step up my game and home my skills (skills that you no doubt already have). Most importantly, it allowed me to connect and share in fellowship with a lot of the other brothers and sister on a deeper level. Let's hook up soon!

Skunked4life

P.S. You guys made the right call that day to go to the rocks! Non-stop barracuda action? Wow!

Thanks Ken! I'm already enjoying this challenge very much. It's definitely giving me a kick in the pants to get out and fish hard. It's been nothing short of awesome to be able to connect with everyone during this quest. We should definitely hook up, you are on fire man!

Dude, so close!!! but that's a very nice fish nonetheless.
Goodluck to both you and Danny on your SWAT quest. :Thumbs Up:
Catching a 28er is tough but I know you guys can definitely get the job done.
Now if only I can convince our veteran prospect to get out there and complete his mission! :LOL: I know for sure these past reports will have an impact.
Keep it up!

-Daniel

Thanks Daniel! Catching a 28"er sure is tough, it's actually my PB for halibuts. Not only do I have to meet that size but I want to beat it! We should all hook up soon and get Thien out there.

keep it up!. Nice catch!!!

Thanks khoang21!

Raney, I could tell you that I think the fish is close enough and good enough that I will accept it as your "induction" fish. But I know for a fact that you would turn me down. I know enough about you and your character to know that you will never settle for an "almost induction" fish. :Big Grin:

It's just a matter of time my friend and I wish you and Danny and Thien the best of luck capturing that "induction" fish. :Cool:
Have fun with it... there is no pressure, you are "already" a part of the S.W.A.T. Family. :Wink:

Thanks Arthur! Almost is never enough for me. Thanks for inviting to take this challenge, it's been so much fun already.

No matter what, that is a great catch Raney! That extra 1/4" is coming soon. Sounds like the big girls are starting to come out to play so keep at it and we'll be reading that glory report REAL soon.:Wink: Great report and congrats on a nice flattie!

Don

Thanks Don! I hope to get that 1/4" back and then some. Thanks for the call awhile back, glad to know you guys got my back.

Weird you caught fish in that harbor, it's been rumored game fish are extinct in it.

Maybe a case of being at the right place at the right time? Not sure, I've had my fair share of skunks there too.

Hi ya Brotha Raney,

That was a trophy of a fish; for certain, that you beached Sir! :Thumbs Up:

I like your style of honesty and the pride that you exhibit in our sport ... no short cuts and no give-me's on your induction fish!
It's just a matter of time my friend, Poseidon will have a worthy induction fish ready for you.
Heck ... I haven't seen a Halibut as an induction fish in a while and I think it's about time for one .... don't you .... eh!?

Have a great adventure as you target your induction fish Brotha!

Thanx for the "Oh ... so close but no cigar" fun read with pic's. :Cool:

PS ..... It was really great to have hooked up with you, Peter, Danny and Jonathan last night! :Wink:

SP Dan <"))><

Thanks brotha Dan! Nope, I can't settle for short cuts and give-mes. It's a pride thing for sure. It's been awesome getting to share some time with you on the water. I'm glad that you've been feeling better and are able to get out again.

Hi Raney

Great report. I like your writing - fun to read. You had an excellent outing there and landed some great fish. Keep it up. I am positive you will "score" the induction fishy soon, very soon.

All the best,

Nick

Thanks for having such faith in me Nick!

-Danny

It's great to be sharing time with you on the water again DLO! I'm glad you've came out of your cave to fish with us, It's always a good time. We need more time on the water to "prospect" together.

Very cool read,nice going on the pencils,nice calico,and the butt was something sweet,when you said so close,and then I saw the tape I thought "so close" that's babies way legal!
Then I realized the induction part of the story,still one nice catch,can't wait to see you 28"plus,I'm sure it will be soon! WTG.

Cya Tuna Vic

Thank Tuna Vic!

Raney, you were so close to that induction fish. I knew it would be at least a legal when I saw that tail flip out of the water to hit your lure. You'll get that challenge done in no time. At least you got some dinner and more will to catch bigger fish. I got out-fished again :Crying::LOL:. See you soon and you kind of missed out last night :Secret:.

-Peter

Thanks Peter! Always nice to share time on the water together. The will is definitely with me.

SO CLOSE!!!
Raney, I wasn't aware that the new induction size had been increased....who does that guy think he is?!? :LOL:
I'm sure you weren't too bummed though, that is a great fish to land in the surf.
I had been at that beach on Tuesday and it was junk. I did a quick recon at low tide to see if any new structure had formed...I GUESS YOU FOUND THE SPOT... :Envious:
Keep at it and the induction fish will come soon enough. It's shaping up to be a sweet year in the surf.
Take care Bro,
Robert
<><

Thanks Robert! When Arthur first invited me to the challenge I remembered it being 26 for halibut. I was thinking cool I've caught a couple over 26 and overs before. Then I got the new prospect list and saw that it is now 28" my jaws dropped lol. My PB is 28" from the surf. I guess it wouldn't be a challenge if it wasn't hard, but i'm game. I have to thank you for putting me on that spot. I hope to see you out there soon!

Sounds like a great day on the water with friends! Congrats on the nice Hali even if is was just short of your induction fish.
Your fish will come and it will be that much better when it does. Enjoy the quest!

Thanks 5150fishn! It was a great day with friends for sure!

Jaysuuun
03-23-2014, 10:30 PM
Raney, that's a nice looking legal you landed there. Close but no cigar. I was unaware of the new SWAT requirements LOL. I think you'll land your induction fish real soon as summer approaches. It's always fun reading the new inductee reports.