PDA

View Full Version : San diego Bay on the Yak, 3/17/14

Cadillyak
03-17-2014, 03:09 PM
Got geared up to go and made it to 7-11 by 5:30. Grabbed a few snacks, a red bull and off I went. I normally stop by Jack in the Box and grab an Ultimate breakfast sandwich, but since I gave up red meat for lent, couldn't do that. Hummm, let's see. I have to eat. Oh there's a Del Taco with "New" turkey tacos. Grabbed three and off I went.

Made it to Spanish Landing, and while trying to choke down those terrible tacos, realized that with all the preparation the night before, I had neglected to remember my license. Humm, what to do. Being only 15-20 min away from the house, I yeilded to head back and get my license. As everyone knows, you rarely get checked when you do have it, but when you don't, it's bound to happen.

Got back to the lauch roughly 30 min later and launched with a couple of tubers. Made a brief conversation, and off we were. I quickly seperated from them, and dropped down a 4in grub on one outfit, and a 5" fluke on the other. Saw a few yakers out, and made my way around the bend.

The water was very active, with Mac's jumping around chasing smelt, with a few Cuda's in the mix. 10 min into my trip, my grub rod goes bendo, and I get my first fish of the day, a Cuda about 20". Premature quick release, and I drop back down. Didn't get another hit for a while.

I decided to make my way back down to Harbor Island to target the all elusive Halibut. They are starting to show, and I have had good luck here before, but from shore, so with my Yak, should be a piece of cake.

Long story short, I managed to land 2 short butts and 1 short spottie. The rest of the time, I was fighting off the Lizardfish. I swear I had to catch about 30-40 of them. I couldn't get my bait to the bottom, without my bait being mangled. No pics of the fish, as everyone knows what short fish look like.

Good time on the water, and can't wait for the bay to heat up.
Until next time... Tight lines.

PTN
03-17-2014, 03:43 PM
Cool report :Cool: Thanks for sharing. If you can't get those pesky lizardfish off, you should drop one down on a hook and could something bigger lurking around. :Twisted:

-Peter

yakfish51
03-17-2014, 03:54 PM
Great report, congrats! I was also at the bay today and caught first halibut. He was short, so off he went to play another day. I'll post maybe tomorrow.

Tim

benichi
03-17-2014, 05:24 PM
glad you got out there good job on the butts!!!

Cadillyak
03-17-2014, 06:12 PM
I would have pinned one on but the average size was like 12-14". These lizards were BIG.

skunked4life
03-17-2014, 08:11 PM
Never caught lizardfish, but I imagine how annoying they could be if you are targeting something else. Great read and keep the reports coming!

Skunked4life

bachiboy
03-17-2014, 11:11 PM
I would have pinned one on but the average size was like 12-14". These lizards were BIG.

A 12" lizard might yield one heck of a prize!:Wink: You never know till you try...big lazy flattie not wanting to chase a bunch of small bait might take a meal that big.:EyePop::LOL:

Great report and congrats on the pancakes and spottie!
Don

murrieta angler
03-19-2014, 09:17 AM
Yeah, those lizards are a pain in the but and they are just about everywhere.
But, you managed to get a few species and I bet that cuda was a nice pull on the line...:Smile:
Thanks for sharing,
Robert
<><

TUNAVIC
03-20-2014, 09:01 AM
Nice read,yeah turkey tacos for breakfast might be tough,thanks for the report.

Cya Tuna Vic

SP Dan
03-20-2014, 10:35 AM
Hi ya Cadillyak,

Excellent report and ya got ta luv the cudda action.

As far as breakfast goes ... I must say .... the turkey tacos just sound fowl to me ....... :ROFL: but nothing that some real good salsa won't fix! :Wink:

Keep the reports a comin'! :Cool:

Remember to: "Put your mind into free spool, loosen your drag and keep your lines tight!"

SP Dan <"))><