PDA

View Full Version : looking for a new surf fishing rod

benichi
03-17-2014, 11:04 AM
just wanted to see what you guys recommend for a rod.. I throw LC's and swimbaits in the surf and harbors. looking for a new rod, really liking the phoenix m1 casting rods

just wanted to see what everyone's thoughts are?

benichi
03-17-2014, 10:41 PM
any one using a micro guide rod?

notice any difference better or worst?

Stumpknocker
03-18-2014, 07:23 AM

I have one...fishes great, casts great, can't tell if it's any better than a larger guide rod...one issue is that if you are using a topshot or leader, the knot can get stuck in the guides...

skunked4life
03-18-2014, 07:36 AM

Hi Benichi. First, let me say that I have been enjoying your posts!

Rod:
Really, I am all over the place on rods. My favorite rod in my arsenal is my St. Croix Wild River 8' stick. It has great fast tip action and back bone. My preferences are that the rod have a sensitive tip, fast action, good backbone, thin blanks, one piece, and light. Unfortunately, this rod is not as light as I would want but doesn't matter cause it has everything else. I like a lighter rod because I make way more casts than I do catch fish and I get tired. Plus, my reel is not very light.

I use a variety of rods and none of them are really rated for the surf. Most of my rods are in the 7 foot range. Here are my favorite rods - cumara, crucial, clarus, st croix (in no particular order).

Micro Guides:
My most current rod is the new cumara and it has micro guides. Yes, the line sometimes gets hung up a little bit if using a top shot and the knot is not flat. Still, it hasn't deterred me from using it and I dig it.

Hope this helps!

skunked4life

benichi
03-18-2014, 09:04 AM
awesome thanks for the advice... I found a carrot stick 8 foot on sell I might pick it up never had one before and like you guys im all over the place with my rods..

but Irod has a couple I have been looking, at as well as pheinox. to many to choose from lol

at least i know micro guides are ok