PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Dam fishing

tommibear
03-16-2014, 06:02 PM
Arrived at the entrance to Main ramp at 7am on Sunday, only to find that it was locked.

Drove back down the hill and went to the West ramp entrance. I asked the attendant if the Dam was opened for fishing and if we could access the Dam from the West Ramp's "spillway" crossing.. She replied "yes", so I thought I was good.

Fished at the Dam from 7:15 am to noon. Caught 1 2lber and released 2 1lbers. Still alot of crap in the water, but considerablly less than last week.

At noon, the lifeguards drove their truck to the Dam and informed everyone that if we tried to use the spillway crossing back to our cars (which were parked at the West Ramp), we would get a "trespassing" ticket. Told us to "find other arrangements to get back to your cars". They basically hinted that they would wait on the other end for us...

I called the main Castaic line and was transferred to the life guard station. Spoked with lifeguard supervisor and pleaded for her understanding on getting back to our cars and that we received bad info from the attendant. She said that if we left within the next hour, no tickets would be issued.

I packed my gear and informed everyone about lifeguard office's 1-hr grace period to leave the Dam. Most people took my advice and left... A few people took their chances and stayed behind.

The sheriff cars also dropped by at 10am, but they dodn't say anything to us... They just got out their "glasses" to see what we were catching and if anyone was near the shoreline fronting the tower.

Both the main office and lifeguard station informed me that "If the main ramp is closed, no legal fishing is permitted on the Dam, since you cannot legally access the spillway road from the West Ramp (homeland security)."

jowo
03-16-2014, 10:53 PM
thanks for the info! I guess the main ramp is still hit or miss for now...

GhettoBasser
03-16-2014, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Yup, the dam is a high value target. Apparently there are some noted striper cells.

fishinone
03-17-2014, 06:48 AM
Isn't it their responsibility to open the main ramp?

They are given authority to make sure that it's safe and collect the appropriate frees not to arbitrarily close out and stop collecting those fees.

The land and the fees actually belong to the people.

DEVOREFLYER
03-17-2014, 07:01 AM
Isn't it their responsibility to open the main ramp?

They are given authority to make sure that it's safe and collect the appropriate frees not to arbitrarily close out and stop collecting those fees.

The land and the fees actually belong to the people.

If you LIKE your lake, you can KEEP your lake. :Envious:

koifish
03-17-2014, 04:31 PM
Here is the email from Lori (Castaic) about the recent confusion for the shore fishing at the dam. good luck out there man.....the bite still good...hahaha...

"I am sorry that there was some confusion. In the future when the Main Launch Ramp is closed to launching we will continue to keep the gates open to accommodate the shoreline fishermen who wish to fish from the dam.

We do want to remind everyone that if you choose to park at the West Launch Ramp you will not be allowed to enter the restricted area to walk across to the dam and fish. You will be asked to leave and will receive a citation. But the Main Launch ramp will be open so that you can park there and walk to your favorite fishing locations".