PDA

View Full Version : Long Beach harbor 3-8

GhettoBasster
03-14-2014, 06:06 PM
Fished from 8-12:30 with IF2L. We launched from the park east of the Q. Mary. I got a Queenfish/kingfish/herring right away on a Gulp Swim Mullet. We continued catching them and Tomcod throughout the session in every type of plastic. They kind of took the place of lizard fish that day. We also got some sandies and I ended the trip with a short halibut on I think a shrimp pattern Big Hammer. Unfortunately it swallowed the jighead deep so I has to cut the line and release it with the jighead in its gullet. Made me feel kinda crappy. We also saw some dolphins in the harbor and IF2TL has one surface right next to him. It's a bit if a tense feeling when you're not sure if that large thing with a dorsal fin coming up from below is Mr. Shark or a nice porpoise.

benichi
03-14-2014, 06:31 PM
thats awesome.... nice job out there!!! what kind of boat do you have??

GhettoBasster
03-14-2014, 07:46 PM
thats awesome.... nice job out there!!! what kind of boat do you have??

Thanks! Sorry, I didn't mention that we were in float tubes. Another interesting part of the adventure was our encounter with Homeland Security. We kicked over to a landing where a Carnival Cruise ship had docked and was offloading passengers. This landing had really nice pilings and IF2L was pulling in sandbass after sandbass (all shorts) and I was getting hit on almost every cast by croaker. We were having great fun until a nice man who identified himself as Homeland Security walked over and told us we had to stay 200 yds away from the area. Passing through was ok. Oh well, there went the honey hole.

bachiboy
03-15-2014, 01:02 AM
Nice job GB and IFTL. Sounds like a nice day out. Too bad about the honey hole but at least the homeland security officer was nice about it. Makes it even worse when they get rude.

Thanks for sharing!
Don

Ifishtoolittle
03-15-2014, 01:16 AM
Thanks everyone. It's not a place that's really worth fishing when you see how much crap/trash/waste is in the water.

100yds actually. That's how far you have to stay away. The guy was respectful but assertive though.

lol that Dolphin scared the crap out of me! It was only about 10ft away. In total I saw 3 that day a grey one and two black/brown ones. Anyone know why there's dolphin right across from the QM? lol if they were to swim any further up they'd end up in the LA river!

skunked4life
03-17-2014, 08:17 PM
Wow! Floating with the dolphins!!! You have to pay for that at some places! Great read! I even had chills thinking about the proximity of the dolphins to you guys!

Skunked4life

GhettoBasster
03-17-2014, 10:07 PM
Wow! Floating with the dolphins!!! You have to pay for that at some places! Great read! I even had chills thinking about the proximity of the dolphins to you guys!

Skunked4life

Thanks S4L! Anytime I'm wetting a line is a great time.