PDA

View Full Version : epic!!! 3/12/14 San Diego bay shore fishing with plastics trip

benichi
03-12-2014, 05:03 PM
I got to the first spot at 5am. was perfectly calm still dark out. the first cast hits the water and I feel the line going off my Abu Garcia revo reel faster then the sink should be so I stop it and rod goes crazy im on. 13 inch spotty.. for starters let me say this report will sound conceded because this is the best day I have ever had fishing.. and I think my self to be a damn good fisherman... after the first fish I thought wow I hope this keeps up and it did i fished up and down the rocks and beaches catching spotties like I was shooting fish in a barrel. when day break came I moved to another spot and same thing fish after fish... some small but some not bad at all.. there were a couple guys using bait I walked with in about 25 feet and cast out slam again 15 inch spotty.. caught 5 fish and then moved to the other side of the guys about the same distance 25 feet and again catch about 5 or 6 they start yelling at me "what the hell are you using we have never seen fish caught like that" I told them plastics and they where shocked this fishing did not cool down till 11:50 am I lost count after 43+ fish. I then went and got I bit to eat at the deli on harbor island and thought well since im here I will try off the rocks it is now 12:45pm fourth cast slam and nothing there gave it a twitch and realised my line is coming towards me I burn it in a set the hook and it was on this sucker fought like he was an 30 incher, peeling line staying deep I was starting to think oh crap I have a bat ray... but nope a legal but 23 1/2 inch hali as I grab him with the grippers I hear people start clapping I turn around and there are like 15 people watching me from up on the bank... I held him up then, grabbed my tape yup legal.. I thought about letting him go but I really haven't had fresh halibut in a long time so I kept him.. with out an ice chest I had to go find ice and a box quick. so had to head home. but for me it was just an epic day so much fun...

Now for the big question too you guys?????..... was it just my day on the water or did everyone that was out today do that well...

here are some pics

bachiboy
03-12-2014, 09:39 PM
Now that is an AWESOME day!:Thumbs Up: Sounds like the fish were on the chew down there. Not sure too many people would be able to answer your question since its a weekday but sounds like there might have been a lot of bait around to get the fish active. Even with the fish on the chew, you've gotta know what you're doing to land that many, so nice going!!!!

Congrats!
Don

CrownTown
03-12-2014, 10:19 PM
Only 43+ fish and a legal hali? I guess we all have our off days ;) Nice job man

CrouchingNinjaHiddenFish
03-12-2014, 10:24 PM
Bad *** !!!!!!

benichi
03-12-2014, 10:43 PM
Now that is an AWESOME day!:Thumbs Up: Sounds like the fish were on the chew down there. Not sure too many people would be able to answer your question since its a weekday but sounds like there might have been a lot of bait around to get the fish active. Even with the fish on the chew, you've gotta know what you're doing to land that many, so nice going!!!!

Congrats!
Don

I have never had a day like that lol if you look at my last report i caught 8 lol.. thanks for the nice words.. .. I would go back tomorrow if I could.... but i already called off work for Friday lol heading down there again... hopefully it will still be on like that.... I did see alot of i guess shad in and around the rocks even the sting rays were trying to get them but i never saw a bait ball or crazy bird action...

but I did hear from a buddy that hit imperial beach and they did really good too...

come with us if you want

tamddo714
03-12-2014, 11:13 PM
awesome report! good job out there

tomar19
03-13-2014, 09:05 AM
Wow, that must have been a lot of fun!!!! Great report and great job out there.

TUNAVIC
03-13-2014, 09:19 AM
Cool,nice day,enjoy the fresh halibut!

Cya Tuna Vic

benichi
03-13-2014, 02:46 PM
grilled up some of the halibut...... oh my god!!! it is so freaking good, did one fillet with lemon pepper and one with butter and jalapeno have to say both are really tasty..

still have 2 fillets left going to eat them tonight anyone have any amazing recipes for me to try?

and thanks everyone one I guess every squirrel does fined a nut lol... going back tomorrow hopping for another great day!!!

PTN
03-13-2014, 04:27 PM
Great day out there benichi. I can't wait to get into a 40+ fish day like that. Thanks for sharing!

Raimond42
03-13-2014, 05:54 PM
Congrats, You had a great day in SD!

Keep that Flattie protected from the outlaws!

titos334
03-13-2014, 07:33 PM
I have never had a day like that lol if you look at my last report i caught 8 lol.. thanks for the nice words.. .. I would go back tomorrow if I could.... but i already called off work for Friday lol heading down there again... hopefully it will still be on like that.... I did see alot of i guess shad in and around the rocks even the sting rays were trying to get them but i never saw a bait ball or crazy bird action...

but I did hear from a buddy that hit imperial beach and they did really good too...

come with us if you want

From shore your day was simply Legendary, Epic etc it's very rare to have that kind of day from shore. Even if you were on a boat that's an incredible day.

Cadillyak
03-13-2014, 07:40 PM
Good job out there. I love those rocks!

murrieta angler
03-14-2014, 10:44 AM
Awesome job out there benichi!
Hopefully you are on them again this morning.
Robert
<><

benichi
03-14-2014, 05:41 PM
this is an add-on for this report but for today

3/14/2014

hit San Diego around 4:30am took a buddy with me after all the stories I was telling him.. we were fishing before 5am on his 2nd cast he got slammed and caught a 14 spotty and we thought it was going to be like Wed.. after the first fish we went about 40 mins with out catching one we were getting bites just couldn't get the hook in them. but once the sky started to light up man the chew was on again we did great not like wed but we ended the day with 37 spotties 23 of them I caught. also just to have a little add on (pun intended) I caught what i think is the smallest spotty on this planet we actually pulled out the tape he went 3 3/8 inches. we did get in to some good size ones. OK back to the fish count for the total 37 spotties, 1 mack, 1 small halibut, tons of lizard fish, and wait for it 1 beast of a sculpin coming in at 14 1/4 inches,

my catch was 23 spotties 1 small hali, lizards lots of them, and the mack. my buddy caught the rest

water quality is going down. wed was clear today was tinted green. but we still did ok.. everything was taken on plastics. and released..

I have a pic of the hali on I will edit on here when I get it on the computer... not an Epic Wed but all in all a great day on the water again

GhettoBasster
03-14-2014, 05:51 PM
Congrats! That is an epic day. That would be a dream come true for me. You had them dialed in. I'm pretty sure you will never forget this trip.

Captwoody
03-16-2014, 01:40 PM
Congrats! That is an epic day. That would be a dream come true for me. You had them dialed in. I'm pretty sure you will never forget this trip.

We were out on the 13th same areas no halis but over 80 Fish 72 if you dont count lizards. 30-42 feet gulp new penny and nuc chicken on 1/2 cotees. south of bridge still a little slow. midway south to bridge money if water is moving. anything + 5 in tidal swing will be money for a while now. great time to take kids

benichi
03-16-2014, 01:46 PM
We were out on the 13th same areas no halis but over 80 Fish 72 if you dont count lizards. 30-42 feet gulp new penny and nuc chicken on 1/2 cotees. south of bridge still a little slow. midway south to bridge money if water is moving. anything + 5 in tidal swing will be money for a while now. great time to take kids

agreed,, were you in a boat or from shore???

Captwoody
03-17-2014, 07:47 PM
agreed,, were you in a boat or from shore???

We were in a Boat my buddies 19ft champion bass boat. Normally I am in my 13 ft Gregor or my 19ft Kencraft and I lay off the bay in the winter and concentrate off roading in the desert. so my spring boat preps not done yet. so mark said my boats ready lets go.i forgot how nice it is to be a passenger and just sit and fish.

skunked4life
03-17-2014, 08:06 PM
It was just you...don't think anyone else had that kind of non-stop action, at least with those epic numbers! Great job out there. Keep the reports coming! Truly enjoy reading them!

Skunked4life, aka Corporal Croaker, aka ken

jpfromoc
03-18-2014, 09:01 PM
Me and a buddy will be in our tubes tomorrow. What color plastics were working best?

benichi
03-18-2014, 10:30 PM
Me and a buddy will be in our tubes tomorrow. What color plastics were working best?

greens and blue do not use red for some reason we could not get a bite using red might have changed but still.... caught the hali on blue and pearl and the majority of spotties on green

murrieta angler
03-19-2014, 09:08 AM
Cool to see you had another nice day of catching.
Hopefully you got someone to join you today and get them on some fish.
Robert
<><