PDA

View Full Version : Oil island fishing off Long Beach

one long cast
03-06-2014, 02:57 PM
Thinking of fishing around the 2 oil islands in L.B. Harbor. Got a 14 ft. alum. boat, fish locator and such. Anyone out there have any experience or some good ideas on how to approach this area in the way of plastics, hard baits, etc. High tide, incoming, outgoing or anytime. I generally fish Huntington, L.A. Bay and Newport so I have the tackle. Any suggestions would be a big help. Thx

DockRat
03-07-2014, 05:59 AM
Average harbor fishing. You might want to try the inside of the Federal break wall. The middle wall from Angels gate (San Pedro) to Queens gate. Long Beach has lifted the ban on many fishing areas. The middle wall has been off limits for over 10 years on the inside. The outside is generally better on most walls. Toss plastics. Keep a eye out for birds and bait. Good to drag one near the bottom also. Halibut love to sit next to rocks.
DR

DockRat
03-07-2014, 06:13 AM
Port of Long Beach Lifts Fishing Restrictions to Conform to State Regulations

Read this;

http://lbpost.com/news/2000003240-port-of-long-beach-looks-to-lift-fishing-restrictions#.UxnTBHnoZhA

TUNAVIC
03-07-2014, 10:45 AM
If you fish the closet one to Alimitos Bay,look for a shallow spot on the west side that comes up to about 7ft,middle of the island,it drops on both sides to about 15-20ft drift over or near that area,with plastic baits like hammers,fish traps ect,4-5" or live bait if you prefer,my best halibut in that spot was 23lbs,look forward to your report!

Cya Tuna Vic