PDA

View Full Version : Found 'em

Stumpknocker
03-06-2014, 03:38 AM
I decided to spend the morning checking out spots I normally don't fish much...after about an hour of cruising around metering in the ski arm, I found an area near the cliffs that had a lot of shad, and then an adjacent area that had a lot of striper marks...dropped the anchor in 100 feet and started the dunk-a-chunk...it took almost an hour to get bit, but it was a good 3 pounder...I took a selfie thinking this was going to be my one fish...
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g402/yobobscott/self.jpg (http://s1100.photobucket.com/user/yobobscott/media/self.jpg.html)
For another hour, it sure seemed like that was gonna be it...lots of marks, but they didn't want to bite...then somebody hit a switch, and they went WFO...I was sight-fishing them, watching them hit my sardine chunk about 15-20 feet down...only the flylined baits got hit. I had a bait on the bottom almost the whole day without a nibble...after I had about 5 fish in the livewell I started releasing all of the lip-hooked 1-2 pounders, just keeping the better fish...left with a limit around noon when I ran out of bait.
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g402/yobobscott/clean.jpg (http://s1100.photobucket.com/user/yobobscott/media/clean.jpg.html)
Even after the big rains it seems they're still on fall bite mode if you can find them...

Bassfan
03-06-2014, 06:37 AM
Great job searching the lake and finding their hangout. Not always easy to do but you nailed them!

EfrenM
03-06-2014, 08:07 AM
Nice limit!!!!!!!!!!!

Stumpknocker
03-06-2014, 09:08 AM
Great job searching the lake and finding their hangout. Not always easy to do but you nailed them!
Thanks Bassfan...I was surprised I found them that quickly!

Stumpknocker
03-06-2014, 09:09 AM
Nice limit!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks EfrenM...I love it when a plan comes together!

TUNAVIC
03-06-2014, 09:16 AM
Wow,impressive very nice WTG!

Cya Tuna Vic

fishinone
03-06-2014, 02:08 PM
Nice Catch Stumpknocker.

I can't wait to get out there again and you're not helping! LOL

OK really, good job searching them out. I'm convinced that they're eating somewhere all the time.

Stumpknocker
03-06-2014, 03:12 PM
Thanks fishinone...I hope your boat is up and running soon...I think you're right that they're always biting somewhere, and the trick is being in the right place at the right time with the right stuff...as my day showed, even being in the right place didn't help much until it became the right time too...

CAPT'N
03-06-2014, 04:37 PM
Nice job Stumpknocker, it is so true, right place, right time............

Capt'n

fishinone
03-06-2014, 06:10 PM
It's the tide!

Stumpknocker
03-06-2014, 06:10 PM
Thanks CAPT'N...on those days where I get skunked, but would like to learn from it, the hard part is figuring out if it was the wrong place, or wrong time, or wrong stuff, or some combination of of those things...

lowe
03-06-2014, 06:55 PM
You talk about patients it paid off big time great job ..lo

Stumpknocker
03-07-2014, 04:44 AM
It's the tide!
I think you're kidding fishinone :Smile: but it's something I've wondered about...I've heard that explanation for why fish start biting, and it makes total sense to me in surf and bay situations where there's a lot of tidal water movement...less so in open ocean, and I don't understand why it should matter to lake fish where the whole lake is under the same tidal influence at the same time, so not much horizontal water movement...any ideas?

Stumpknocker
03-07-2014, 04:47 AM
You talk about patients it paid off big time great job ..lo
Thanks lowe...normally I'm the least patient fisherman I know...15 minutes without a bite and I wanna go...but the marks were so good, as good as Necktie at it's best, that I had to try to make it work...

fishinone
03-07-2014, 11:22 AM
I'm not sure that I have an explanation but they really do seem to bite at what would be high tide. I use Sam Pedro which is just East.

Stumpknocker
03-07-2014, 11:57 AM
I'm not sure that I have an explanation but they really do seem to bite at what would be high tide. I use Sam Pedro which is just East.
I checked the tides for last Wednesday when I caught those stripers and high tide was around noon...and the good fishing for me was from about 10 until noon when I ran out of bait while they were still biting. That was during the incoming "tide" which is often good when surf fishing...you might have something there...yet another puzzle piece to think about :LOL: I still wonder if anybody has a guess as to why tides would affect lake fish, but I'll be looking at tide charts when I hit the lake from now on to see if they correlate.

TroutOnly
03-08-2014, 06:42 AM
THE HIGH TIDES ARE CAUSED BY THE MOON AND THE STRIPEYS RELATE BECAUSE THERE A SALTWATER FISH ,,,,,,,,,,,,THE NEW MOON IS ALWAYS GOOD STRIPER FISHING TIME,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,THEM CASTAIC FISH SHOULD BE SWINGING INTO THE SPRING THING PRETTY SOON,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,NICE CATCHES,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,

GhettoBasser
03-08-2014, 05:07 PM
I got smoked today! - Rented a boat - Did everything right - Still no love.

Pretty windy today btw.

Stumpknocker
03-09-2014, 06:15 AM
THE HIGH TIDES ARE CAUSED BY THE MOON AND THE STRIPEYS RELATE BECAUSE THERE A SALTWATER FISH ,,,,,,,,,,,,THE NEW MOON IS ALWAYS GOOD STRIPER FISHING TIME,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,THEM CASTAIC FISH SHOULD BE SWINGING INTO THE SPRING THING PRETTY SOON,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,NICE CATCHES,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,
Thanks T/O...I will definitely be checking the tide charts from now on when I go...

Stumpknocker
03-09-2014, 06:18 AM
I got smoked today! - Rented a boat - Did everything right - Still no love.

Pretty windy today btw.

Did you bring a portable sonar unit? If you're in a rental boat without one, you're fishing blind during winter...not much surface action to tell you where they are...

GhettoBasser
03-09-2014, 10:45 AM
Did you bring a portable sonar unit? If you're in a rental boat without one, you're fishing blind during winter...not much surface action to tell you where they are...

Funny you mentioned that. I did buy one at the show Friday night. We marked all sorts of fish 100+ feet outside of necktie canyon. We met with some Pinoys early and they explained the whole anchor rope thing. We tied up with them and we couldn't catch anything. Me and my buddy took off to get out of the wind and into the coves and there was NOTHING! Kinda lame to rent boats with 20 feet of rope when the lake is 200 feet deep. Lesson learned on that. BTW, we had lug worms, the money *** sardines, mackerel, crawlers, Gulp, Slurp, Slip and 80lbs of artificials.

Stumpknocker
03-09-2014, 03:35 PM
Funny you mentioned that. I did buy one at the show Friday night. We marked all sorts of fish 100+ feet outside of necktie canyon. We met with some Pinoys early and they explained the whole anchor rope thing. We tied up with them and we couldn't catch anything. Me and my buddy took off to get out of the wind and into the coves and there was NOTHING! Kinda lame to rent boats with 20 feet of rope when the lake is 200 feet deep. Lesson learned on that. BTW, we had lug worms, the money *** sardines, mackerel, crawlers, Gulp, Slurp, Slip and 80lbs of artificials.
That's good. Next time you go armed with sonar, all that bait, and the 300 foot anchor rope you'll be able to find them and stay over them...of course, no guarantees that they'll bite, and that's the hardest part for me...I'm grateful when they do, disappointed and confused when they don't...

fishinone
03-10-2014, 04:43 PM
. BTW, we had lug worms, the money *** sardines, mackerel, crawlers, Gulp, Slurp, Slip and 80lbs of artificials.

LOL What's the weight limit on those rentals? :LOL: