PDA

View Full Version : which LA city lake is this?

DodgersFan
03-06-2014, 12:47 AM
it's right next to USC medical center and has a set of railroad tracks in between the center and the lake. I was curious what you catch in there, if anything. Saw some people fishing but nothing landed.

Ifishtoolittle
03-06-2014, 01:55 AM
Lincoln park. Fishing has been crap ever since some genius decided it was a good idea to bluestone the lake. I hope the weeds regrow with full force this summer.

BUSTER124
03-06-2014, 03:36 AM
I agree, the lake used to have decent fish. Between the poaching and the bluestone it has been bad lately...

chompot
03-06-2014, 10:15 AM
I am not a biologist or aqua-botanist (if that is what it is called), but my brother works for the company that manages a lot of these lakes in So Cal. He does have a degree in botany. They do the chemical treatments. I can assure you bluestoning does not kill off fish and bluestoning is not the name of every single chemical treatment they do in these lakes. People jump on the web and always accuse bluestoning as the reason, mostly because that is all they know. There are other chemical treatments that are much stronger.

I fish some private lakes that are treated regularly and there is no problem catching the fish there. Even some public lakes have great fishing that are chemically treated regularly.

There is an OC lake that I can think of that requires catch and release and is also treated regularly for weed growth.... what do you know.... the fishing is still good.

I think the poaching and keeping fish may have a larger affect on the health of the fishery. These city park lakes are like big fish tanks and if anyone here has every managed a larger fish tank they take some work.

twin22s
03-06-2014, 11:14 AM
I fish a lot of city park lakes treated and untreated alike, and I can say for a fact that it is 100% more difficult to catch fish in blue water. I'm sure there are other treatments out there that don't effect the fishing as much, but vegetation is the base of the food chain. I understand that in order to maintain the lake the vegetation needs to be managed, but it seems like the companies doing the research on the treatments only care about killing as much "weeds" as possible without directly killing the fish. taking away the habitat and the forage base doesn't seem to bother them. not to mention the water visibility drops to 1.5 ft or less. I know that even having the opportunity to fish close to home is a privilege but if the fishing is the main reason the lakes are built and stocked, by the county and DFG the concerns and opinions of the anglers who regularly fish in those areas should be taken under greater consideration than they are now. IMHO all small public urban lakes should not allow fish to to kept that are not regularly stocked.

DarkShadow
03-06-2014, 02:37 PM
IPeople jump on the web and always accuse bluestoning as the reason, mostly because that is all they know.

In small city ponds like this, removing essential vegetation which other species use for cover/protection/etc can cause a big problem on how a fishery thrives.

Funny how you mention 'managing big tanks," but I manage a larger fish tank and algae growth is essential to the biology of the tank. It lets you know that the water is in perfect balance to have both fish and plants survive. The fact that people who treat lakes don't know this is quite saddening.

Bluestoning, or pond management in smaller bodies of water, is done for aesthetic reasons, quite simply. In larger bodies of water, it's done to make sure the water being sold is as clean as can be and not much money is being spent on post-management.

chompot
03-06-2014, 06:11 PM
Crap... I wrote a nice long response and it disappeared somehow.... What my thought got to was...

Bluestoning does kill vegetation that can be beneficial for fish habitat. The lakes that still fish well after bluestoning tend to have good structure other than the weed growth. In that sense it could affect the bite.

Cities and counties are definitely not proactive in their management of the ponds. I know my brothers company recommends fish stocking of bass and sunfish occasionally and they always get shot down. They are cities and counties everything is slow and they have little to no budget. They usually do not take care of the weeds until they are out of control in the summer.

I think we as anglers getting involved at the city and county parks level would be best. Bass fishing should be catch and release, unless they want to start a stocking program for them. Also looking at ways we can add artificial structure in the lakes so we are not so dependent on the weed growth.

The Walking Trout
03-07-2014, 11:04 PM
Fishing at Lincoln is only good on the day of stocking if you can get in between all those that come out to take x5 more than the limit. Yes. No limits at this lake. If you come the day after, it's too late. Bluestoning here doesn't matter because the fish don't have any time to adapt here. I've even seen people net the trout who are swimming close to shore and put them in their buckets.

Lincoln water is murky and visibility is 1/2 a foot. The only thing that works here is if you garlic sauce your bait.

Bass fishing is below average cuz of the damn poachers. When you catch one though, they are pretty decent-sized.