PDA

View Full Version : Fly Fishing the surf?

jplee3
02-28-2014, 01:56 PM
Hey all,

I know it's not as popular down here but I was wondering if anyone here is into fly fishing the SoCal surf. I was down in Costa Maya for a day and took fly fishing lessons and absolutely fell in love with it. I'm researching/shopping around for gear now but have so many questions.

I think I have the reel in mind that I'd want (Allen Alpha III) and possibly the rod (Allen Compass, Allen Xa2, or a Sage rod probably starting off at 9' 8wt and maybe considering something of lower weight as I get into it more) but I still have questions around backing/fly line/tippet setups.

Here are some of my questions, in case anyone is inclined to answer:
1) Can you use any old backing on the fly line (PowerPro, Spectra, etc?)

2) For the SoCal surf, what fly line(s) are suggested/preferred? I hear floating is no bueno unless it's super calm. Otherwise, intermediate and full sinking (but isn't full sinking, especially, a bit of a pain to cast/re-cast?). It seems intermediate with a Type 6 sinking head might be the most versatile for all-around fishing. I'd be targeting anything and everything pretty much (BSPs, corbina, halibut, etc). And then there's integrated vs shooting heads in the line. Do most of you guys carry spare shooting heads to change out depending on conditions? I know the conditions can vary and be dynamic on the surf...

3) For tippets, do I really need to buy the fly line-specific tippets or can I just tie on a length of fluoro/mono similar to using a length of fluoro/mono on a regular spinning setup? I know the tippet is going to be much longer (around 9-10ft at least)

This seems to be a bit of an expensive branch of fishing to get into, so I'm starting to gather up some of my baitcasting gear that I've made little use of and will probably sell it off to help fund whatever I decide to get for the fly setup(s).

TIA!

exfactor
02-28-2014, 05:07 PM
as a suggestion, you may want to pose these questions over at scsurffishing.com. There are many fly guys there that can assist you in this

jplee3
02-28-2014, 05:16 PM
as a suggestion, you may want to pose these questions over at scsurffishing.com. There are many fly guys there that can assist you in this

Thanks! I actually posted to a dedicated fly fishing thread there a few days ago but no responses so far. I guess I'll just post up a new thread in that case.

Dci4me
02-28-2014, 07:52 PM
I got into fly fishing and went nuts with gear. I got a surf outfit and tried it once and its just not for me. Im willing to sell or possibly trade. PM me if youre interested. I also have some good flies for the socal surf.

Which Way Out
02-28-2014, 08:56 PM
You can check out the Santa Barbara fly fishers club. Just search that in the title.
I did it for awhile. Many of the members are pioneers in the sport of flyfishing the surf.

WWO

Dci4me
02-28-2014, 11:00 PM
Having issue with PM on my tab. Text me at 951 833 6093

Dci4me
03-02-2014, 01:36 PM
Or call :Smile:

Piss on Myspace
03-02-2014, 02:20 PM
I got into fly fishing and went nuts with gear. I got a surf outfit and tried it once and its just not for me. Im willing to sell or possibly trade. PM me if youre interested. I also have some good flies for the socal surf.

Whats the specs on the salt outfit?

Dci4me
03-02-2014, 05:31 PM
TFO TiCR 9' #7
Cabelas WLx (made by Lamson) 7/8
Rio Outbound Short WF7/IS6 265 grain
Rio backing

The_Dude
03-03-2014, 09:45 AM
Hey all,

I know it's not as popular down here but I was wondering if anyone here is into fly fishing the SoCal surf. I was down in Costa Maya for a day and took fly fishing lessons and absolutely fell in love with it. I'm researching/shopping around for gear now but have so many questions.

I think I have the reel in mind that I'd want (Allen Alpha III) and possibly the rod (Allen Compass, Allen Xa2, or a Sage rod probably starting off at 9' 8wt and maybe considering something of lower weight as I get into it more) but I still have questions around backing/fly line/tippet setups.

Here are some of my questions, in case anyone is inclined to answer:
1) Can you use any old backing on the fly line (PowerPro, Spectra, etc?)

2) For the SoCal surf, what fly line(s) are suggested/preferred? I hear floating is no bueno unless it's super calm. Otherwise, intermediate and full sinking (but isn't full sinking, especially, a bit of a pain to cast/re-cast?). It seems intermediate with a Type 6 sinking head might be the most versatile for all-around fishing. I'd be targeting anything and everything pretty much (BSPs, corbina, halibut, etc). And then there's integrated vs shooting heads in the line. Do most of you guys carry spare shooting heads to change out depending on conditions? I know the conditions can vary and be dynamic on the surf...

3) For tippets, do I really need to buy the fly line-specific tippets or can I just tie on a length of fluoro/mono similar to using a length of fluoro/mono on a regular spinning setup? I know the tippet is going to be much longer (around 9-10ft at least)

This seems to be a bit of an expensive branch of fishing to get into, so I'm starting to gather up some of my baitcasting gear that I've made little use of and will probably sell it off to help fund whatever I decide to get for the fly setup(s).

TIA!

I myself don't fly fish the surf, but down in Newport where I fish there is quite a few fly fisherman fishing the surf line. It is one of the types of fishing I wouldn't mind learning.

jplee3
03-03-2014, 11:36 AM
I myself don't fly fish the surf, but down in Newport where I fish there is quite a few fly fisherman fishing the surf line. It is one of the types of fishing I wouldn't mind learning.

that's good to know. i'm just anxious to get geared up and head out there to practice... well, maybe to the local park for to practice casting especially :) the part that scares me most is the danger of accidentally slapping someone (or even myself) with that weighted head...

Boldfin
03-19-2014, 02:27 PM
that's good to know. i'm just anxious to get geared up and head out there to practice... well, maybe to the local park for to practice casting especially :) the part that scares me most is the danger of accidentally slapping someone (or even myself) with that weighted head...

Fly fishing the surf is actually quite popular down here. Not that there aren't fly fishermen on FNN, but it tends to appeal to anglers of all sorts. There are others that cater specifically to fly anglers, and some that are specifically dedicated to fly fishing the surf. If you PM me, I will gladly point you in the right direction.

If you're not already aware, the Long Beach Casting Club is hosting their annual "Double Haul Ball" this weekend. The entire event is devoted to sharing knowledge of how to enjoy surf fishing on the fly...

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s163/Boldfin/osf_dhb3_2014_web_zpsb880e6ca.jpg (http://s152.photobucket.com/user/Boldfin/media/osf_dhb3_2014_web_zpsb880e6ca.jpg.html)

Then there's the One Surf Fly contest in April...

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s163/Boldfin/mg_beachwalk_new_zps27bfae3b.jpg (http://s152.photobucket.com/user/Boldfin/media/mg_beachwalk_new_zps27bfae3b.jpg.html)