PDA

View Full Version : Venruta Harbor Closed To Hooping!!!

lucky catch
09-27-2007, 05:34 PM
This has probably already been posted on this board but I can't find it.
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Here's the link to the ruling. I spoke with harbor patrol and they said the harbor manager Scott Miller made the decision and it was implemented by Oscar Pena.

http://venturaharbor.com/binn/news.t...ail&news_id=43

You can fish or dive the breakwater and jetties but must not hoop with in 750' of man made structures in their jurisdiction. Supposedly this is the same ruling as for the commercial lobster fishermen.
:evil: :evil: :evil:

Soakin Bait
09-27-2007, 05:54 PM
Doesn't show up. Place another hyperlink that is correct

Soakin Bait
09-27-2007, 05:58 PM
Opps found what your trying to post. Sorry

http://venturaharbor.com/files/33.pdf

lucky catch
09-28-2007, 12:51 PM
A response was just posted on BD. Her it is...
Re: HOOP NETTING SHUT DOWN IN VENTURA HARBOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My name is Scott Miller, and I am the Harbormaster at Ventura Harbor. I want to thank Dave Clark for leaving a phone message on my phone inviting me to utilize this forum to explain my reasoning for implimenting this regulation.

Before I start, let me defuse misinformation.

The 750 foot rule is affecting Ventura Harbor in Ventura, CA. Meetings with the Coast Guard and the Harbor Master and the 10 foot of the net rule is in effect in Channel Island Harbor, which is in Oxnard, CA.

Also, there is no direct connection between the Ventura Port District (Ventura Harbor) and the City of Ventura, so e-mail to the Major or City Council are misdirected. My e-mail address is smiller@venturaharbor.com (mailto:smiller@venturaharbor.com)

With those clarifications out of the way, here is the facts and reasoning behind the decision:

Official Responses to Hoop Net Restriction Questionsfficeffice" />

Background information:

In response to increasing safety issues created by hoop netting near the breakwater, the Port District is using our local ordinance to establish a policy of establishing a “No Hoop Netting” buffer zone of 750 feet from the breakwater and jetties of ffice:smarttags" />Ventura Harbor. In 2006, the Harbor Patrol responded to numerous incidents involving hoop netting, including: two disabled boats that drifted onto the breakwater, three capsized vessels, two submerged vessels and ten cases where nets floated free. It was also necessary for the Harbor Patrol to intervene numerous times in conflicts between hoop netters or hoop netters and divers. The Port District is unwilling to enter the lobster season this year without more controls in place. We believe that this buffer zone will eliminate these problems and still allow the hoop netters to catch lobsters. The 750 foot limitation is the same as that established for the commercial lobster fisherman.

We are using section 410 of the Ventura Harbor Ordinance to establish this 750 foot “No Hoop Netting” area. That section permits the General Manager to “place and maintain … either on land or water such signs…buoys … as s/he considers necessary … to insure public safety and the orderly and efficient use of Ventura Harbor. Section 411 makes it a citable violation to fail to obey any such sign.

It is the District’s intent to have the Harbor Patrol proactively educate the public in the first week or two of the season. We will be at the launch ramp handing out materials and making contacts in the boat. We hope this will work to gain complience, however non-compliance result in a citation and probable temporary confiscation of the fishing gear for evidence.

Responses to Frequently Asked Questions:

Will divers still be allowed? Yes, we have not experienced a significant problems with divers, so we are not establishing the same buffer zone.

Can we do this legally? We can. The breakwater and surrounding area is within our “sphere of influence” because we are the only agency responding to these calls for service.

Thank you again for the opportunity to put out factual information and share the reasoning behind the decision. I hope that people will come up, fish the area from 1/8 of a mile from the breakwater, and find out that it is a more pleasent experience than it has been in the past years. G. Scott Miller, Harbormaster, Ventura Harbor
HarborMast93001 is offline Report Post Reply With Quote

tpfishnfool
10-02-2007, 04:38 PM
Ninja time at vent. jetty!!! Yummy Bugs :lol: