PDA

View Full Version : Surf Newbie

MeenSlayer
02-25-2014, 01:16 PM
Hey there,

I have always wanted to fish the salt but either it was to far away from where I stayed or it didnt have the time. I started fishing about 2 years ago and yes I am hooked..lol
I moved to OC late this year and want to fish the surf, the problem is I dont know where to start. I got all my gear set but have no idea about water conditions, structures and locations to fish. I could use some help on locations and fishing the salt in general. I went to Crystal cove the other day to scout the beach and it looked pretty good, I liked the rock structures and the water conditions. Am I allowed to fish here? is there any regulations? Any help or advise would help, I know good locations and spots are sacred and I would like to keep it that way. All I am asking is for some help to get started an on a fish you can PM me or leave me a message. Thank you

Knives
02-25-2014, 01:42 PM
You can fish crystal cove. Just because and don't go to much farther south otherwise you'll pass the imaginary mpla line and wind up with a nice fine.

youngfisherman
02-26-2014, 09:56 AM
pm me crystal cove is pretty hard to start at i got some spots that i always pull them out of

Which Way Out
02-26-2014, 10:21 PM
These are 2 Stickys listed at the top of the SoCal Surf, Harbor, Bay, & Pier Reports section.
See Below
Not only are they great information to start off with, but a lot others have added comments that will help you out very quickly.

Don't expect things to start off with a bang. The early season Halibut bite this year was very unusual. We've had plenty of warm weather and no rain till today... I would think that the shore season will gear more towards BSP ( Barred Surf Perch ) with storms stirring things up. Otherwise Keep reading post and hit the local water near you. You just may find a great spot no one else has found.

And be sure you Know Where the Closed sections are. I would hate to see you get a fine while your still learning what to do, and better yet, what not to do.

Good luck and lets see lots of posted fish stories this summer.

WWO

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?14334-Surf-Fishing-101-The-Basics
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?41562-Surf-Fishing-for-Halibut-101

MeenSlayer
02-28-2014, 06:47 AM
Hey WWO, thank you for those links. They were very useful and got some tips that I needed. I wont be fishing the salt till this storm passes, but in the mean time I hear some large mouth bass calling! lol

youngfisherman
02-28-2014, 09:32 AM
dude large mouth bass are going crazy hitting any kind of worm even 10 inch worms