PDA

View Full Version : Bedfish

Matt_Magnone
02-24-2014, 10:44 PM
Its no doubt this time of the year for most can be the most exciting all year long. Some guys fish strictly in the Spring for the shot at a record breaking fish as its easier to spot them. Other guys just love the thrill of hunting their fish visually then doing their best to "cat and mouse" them into biting.

Right, wrong or indifferent, This time of year bass are extremely susceptible to predators, over fishing and stress.

Believe me, fish dont position themselves 5' off the bank for our own benefit. Its a constant debate every year. Bedfish? or not? In my personal opinion, Its rediculous to go around and pull fish from their beds and then transport them around the lake for the sake of picture time, tournament weigh in or bragging rights. There will always be those that will defend the right to pull fish out of their queen sized beds but when it all comes down to it, in doing so, the preservation of the fishery will always be in question. The "assembly line" cruising down the shore is poking, prodding and roughing up the "elders" doing their part to preserve the future of the fishery. A common thing you've read me type has been "preservation" and the "fishery". We need to do all we can to inform and educate anglers on what it takes to keep a lake healthy and keep it in balance.

Here's a quick scenario to help explain how bedfishing can hamper a fishery.

As apposed to Striper which lay up to 3 million eggs and will hatch beween 24 and 48 hours, a largemouth will lay in that 2,000- 50,000 range and will take a week to hatch. Exact numbers aren't important as this is just something for the average guy to think about. Survival rates are dependent upon the environment and other predatory species. So needless to say out of lets say 50,000 eggs, it can be a safe assumption that half or 75% will never reach adulthood.

A guy in a boat is fishing a tournament. He's passing fish after fish to find the right one. THE BIG ONE. he starts pitching on the bed over and over catching the male sometimes 4 or 5 times waiting for the female to make an appearance. The angler gets the brilliant idea to dump the bass in the livewell and keep going down the bank leaving the nest un-guarded.

Before the angler can come back to the spot, or is in the middle of working another fish, yet another boat comes up on the same bed noticing a giant fish sitting on it. This angler just needs that 1 kicker fish in order to fill out a heavy limit. He coaxes it into eating and is stoked out of his mind. He got a 10. In the livwell she goes boys! and on he goes AGAIN leaving the bed un-guarded.

Meanwhile bluegill, carp, catfish etc. are rummaging through the bed eating the eggs.

The first boat comes back bummed that someone had already snatched the fish up from underneath him. He then realizes that the male in his livewell was actually a descent fish so he leaves it then continues to search down the bank. AGAIN leaving the nest unguarded.

What it comes down to is that these anglers pulled both fish off the nest leaving the offspring for near certain death. Its a safe assumption that many if not all will perish. Multiply this by 40 boats per day, per the peak months. It's actually pretty sad.

For the guys that are genuinely out to have a good time and without a doubt care about the fishery and intend to bedfish, catch the fish, photograph it, handle it with great care and do your best to promptly release it back in the water at the same location you caught it. Sure the fish is still stressed, but at least that fish is able to retreat back to his or her bed and continue to protect the offspring.

Im not going to be a hypocrite. I've bed fished plenty of times and every now and again I'll stick one or two just for the hell of it. It's not right and I know it. I know many wont care about this subject and feel its their right to a limit, their right to utilizing their fishing permit or their right to teaching their children the outdoors as its the easiest time of year. The whole meaning of this thread is to educate an angler on what can happen if these fish constantly get poached. By what we consider "fun" we're directly impacting the future of our fishery. I don't know about you guys, but when I succumb to the "bed" bug, I feel like crap after ward.

I expect to be called out and I expect to be criticized both on this site and off, but Diamond Valley is a great fishery and I'll do what it takes to try and keep her alive.

HawgZWylde
02-25-2014, 04:54 AM
No criticism from me, I agree 100%. it's taken DVL quite some time to recover from the damage of the last major drawdown and subsequent Striper slaughter. For years we caught skinny giant headed fish and the numbers were way down. The fish are finally looking healthy again but the numbers are still much much lower than in the past. Good post Matt and it's something all Bass anglers should ponder. If a lake has a huge healthy population of Bass, I see no problem as long as the fish are treated well, but in a still recovering lake on it's way to another huge drawdown, we should think twice about what we are doing...

JDS13
02-25-2014, 07:20 AM
For years I have been reading your posts and you are always giving excellent advice, and once again another great post, thanks Matt.

seal
02-25-2014, 08:16 AM
It's that time of the year that's for sure, not just for bedding but for the bed debate to begin again. Love it!

By the way I agree with you 100%!

Brent
02-25-2014, 10:04 AM
I also agree 100%. My buddy and I will fish out away and make long casts. If we happen to catch a big one off a bed, oh well great, BUT it goes right back where it came from. We never put fish in the livewell for photos later. We keep the camera/phone handy for a quick shot then ALL fish go right back in, regardless of size or time of year. The fishery can be damaged easier than people think, especially at this time of year.
Be smart and think about the future everyone. No need to pull fish off and remove them from beds. I get a little frustrated with the tourny guys that are the first ones to rip everyone for keeping a fish or two, but how many have they killed in the tournies by removeing them, shock or just being in the livewell all day. A few penalty pounds doesn't replace a big breeding female. Let the flames begin, but remember it's just my opinion and only that, I respect everones right to their opinion as long as they aren't breaking any laws.

Brent

SilverCarpSuck
02-25-2014, 10:52 AM
I don't normally bedfish, but when I do, I throw them back right away...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0PouPVZBuk

Stormcrow
02-25-2014, 11:31 AM
Matt, I think you make some very valid points. Only one correction I would like to make to your data: You mentioned 75% of hatchlings never reach adulthood. I would contend from my past research that 90% never reach adulthood. In fact, depending on conditions year to year, only 1 in 100 will actually reach adulthood.

Those are some serious numbers to think about.

Stinkbait
02-25-2014, 11:53 AM
I applaud your honesty and courage here Matt. It needs to be put out there this time of year.

On a side note, is that 10 lb bed fish you landed really to be proud of? The fish is out of its right mind and pumping with hormones to induce spawning. With respect to ethics and fair chase, I would say no.

It's not the same as off spawn time where the fish is 13 lbs and you caught it with knowledge and experience off a 20 foot deep ledge. Something to be proud of when it corn holed you twice in a tree then the rocks and you landed it, your fluoro is frayed 3 feet in, and your braid looks like the end of a cuetip. That is a picture fish and a memory........!

HuskerRod
02-25-2014, 12:39 PM
Good points, Matt. Most definately that time of year again.

lobinero
02-25-2014, 12:45 PM
I personally believe that bed fish should promptly be replaced back in the water. Take pics and return it asap.

On a side note, I disagree with stinkbait. A 10 pound fish caught off a bed still is a trophy for me and will make me very proud. Even though bed fish are pumped with hormones, a 10 pounder didn't got that big for been stupid. This is a fish that has used its wits to get this old . Some bed fish require more skills to be caught. Different baits and tricks are employed until you catch that fish. Getting that trophy fish pumps me up big time! It could be my PB. I care less if It came from a 20 foot deep ledge, which probably is more luck than skill since you can't see the fish. I'm not a Hypocrite neither, I love bed fishing, however I will return that fish un harmed asap.

Typo
02-25-2014, 01:35 PM
If I may jump in the topic with my "not bass fisherman" background...

Where I live, in Western Europe, fishing is not a big thing as in the US.
It is more like "take everything you catch and put it in the freezer". :Crying:
Therefore, the authorities had to find a way to go over that and protect the fishes during spawn.
Where I live actually, in Belgium, it is forbidden to use any artificial bait or any live bait that can (even unintentionally) catch a predator fish during a period that lasts from the 31st of December to the 1st of June. You do the math, 5 month without fishing!
The period is really long beacuse it is made to protect mostly 3 species (Pike, Perch and Walleye) but most of all because of that non-sportive behaviour of most fishermans.

I'm in SoCal for vacation this week, I will go fishing as much as I can.
I've already tryed bed fishing to satisfy my curiosity and it reminds me of the walleye's behaviour.
I have seen too many fishermans going around the laws and taking dozens of fishes from their nest using nightcrawlers.
No more bed fishing for me.

I can understand that people are attracted by the idea of a trophy fish (of course, I am too) but, to me, fishing is a challenge about outsmarting the fish and I just think there nothing to outsmart in that basic survival instinct when they are spawning.
You are pretty lucky to be allowed to fish during that period, just imagine that you could not during 5 month...

Fishingdachronarch201E7
02-25-2014, 02:12 PM
Great report, i had seeing the post a couple times and passed it, but glad i read it, awesome information!!!!

Thank you very much!!! i for sure will follow this!

Tony G

Fnguyen5992
02-25-2014, 02:26 PM
CATCH AND RELEASE!!! Good **** Matt

seal
02-25-2014, 02:50 PM
Ok I just have to jump in again. For crying out loud for a fish that is in just about every puddle of water some make a LMB out to be a totally wimpy fish that can't sustain their population yet they are everywhere?!?!?

Call me confused?

No wonder why some make fun of LMB guys, lol.

DarkShadow
02-25-2014, 03:32 PM
Ok I just have to jump in again. For crying out loud for a fish that is in just about every puddle of water some make a LMB out to be a totally wimpy fish that can't sustain their population yet they are everywhere?!?!?

Tell em, Seal!

And tell 'em that if the LMB population was on the downswing, why the DFG would not be instituting policies to ensure their spawning success.

http://www.trivworks.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/devils.advocate.group_.devision.making.jpg

seal
02-25-2014, 04:01 PM
Tell em, Seal!

And tell 'em that if the LMB population was on the downswing, why the DFG would not be instituting policies to ensure their spawning success.

http://www.trivworks.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/devils.advocate.group_.devision.making.jpg

Now you've gone and screwed up my point completely by bringing the DFG, DFW or whatever the hell they are called into the mix! I have no faith in the DFwhatever making the right moves.

They've screwed up the trout fishery good at Silverwood but nobody wants to hear that rant out of me again.

BentRod
02-25-2014, 06:08 PM
Leave the bed fish alone. I don't see how they can be considered a trophy when caught with this method. Just my personal opinion.

seal
02-25-2014, 06:34 PM
I believe in coitus interruptus.

inlandghia
02-25-2014, 07:04 PM
Leave the bed fish alone. I don't see how they can be considered a trophy when caught with this method. Just my personal opinion. agree!!!! with you.

cutbait
02-25-2014, 07:16 PM
I dunno.. I think bed fishing is a blast! Always release the fish immediately! It improves the spawn which in turns provides more bait for the stripers in the summer and fall

Matt_Magnone
02-25-2014, 07:39 PM

Call me confused?

No wonder why some make fun of LMB guys, lol.

It has nothing to do with the fact that a Largemouth may or may not be wimpy; It's the fact that if you ask 10 guys in the tackle shop what there favorite time of year to fish bass, 9 of them will tell you the Spring when the fish are on their beds. The majority of anglers just can't help themselves to the easy pickings. It's one of those double edged swords. I can also play the devils advocate on this one as well.

Since the beginning when an angler was first given a rod and reel years and years ago, I could guarantee the angler saw a bass relating to a specific spot on the shoreline. Without a doubt that angler found a way to coax it into biting. Years and years later, anglers have been programmed to use this as a viable way to catch fish this time of year. If it were a true detriment to the fishery, why hasn't there been rules put in place to limit it? I completely understand.

In this day and age, there are more fisherman on these lakes than there has ever been. Boats, electronics, the internet and new age tackle is making it easier and easier for the average angler to walk out to the lake and catch a bass. Being that there are that amount of anglers today, based upon what books, television and the internet tell them to do in the Spring, you can't tell me that these fish, which are EXTREMELY easy to catch on the bed, aren't getting the crap beat out of them for a short lived thrill for the angler. It's just a fact not an assumption.

If the roles were reversed and lets say a striped bass were a bedding creature, how many anglers do you think would fish their beds? The shot at a 30# fish no deeper than 20' basically with no choice but to stick around. I'd guarantee that same 9 out of 10 anglers would be STOKED! As a result, the future of that same fishery would be left to question and I'd be fighting for the cause as well.

The whole thing about what I've written is about the preservation of what we have currently. There are those that fight, and those that just let the pieces fall into place and are okay with whatever the outcome may be. Lake Perris these last few days has been an eye opener. Boat after boat hour after hour working the same early bed fish. The bed crazy attitude is wrong.

But I agree with you man, we do come off pretty cracked out at times haha!

ela
02-25-2014, 08:51 PM
I don't normally bedfish, but when I do, I throw them back right away...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0PouPVZBuk

Dude, You farted in the video!!! Lol

ela
02-25-2014, 08:53 PM
Dude, You farted in the video!!! Lol

JV
02-25-2014, 09:51 PM
Interesting study by the state of Indiana Dept. of Natural Resources.
http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/Bass_on_Beds_Final.pdf

HawgZWylde
02-25-2014, 10:28 PM
Interesting study by the state of Indiana Dept. of Natural Resources.
http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/Bass_on_Beds_Final.pdf

Comparing Indiana or any other fishery to California's is almost like comparing apples and oranges. Different structure, or lack there of, different lake or reservoir depths, different vegetation, or lack there of, different forage, or lack thereof, different apex predator (Striper), and a huge difference in population. Not to mention Cali's year round fishing. Whole different ballgame out here...

Pete Marino
02-26-2014, 07:08 AM
My own personal opinion is that Bed fishing doesn't hurt the spawn in the least. For every guy bedfishing there is an unfathomable number of carp, bluegill other bass and other fish doing much more damage to the spawn then anglers can ever do REGARDLESS of if the male or female is there protecting the bed or not. And frankly the female doesn't stick around long enough to even be much of a "protector". She drops her eggs hangs for a day and is gone in most cases.
Reason would tell us that we (the anglers) could do damage for the simple fact that once we take a bass off the bed and take it to weighins that we could be hurting that bed...HOWEVER its also Naïve to think that we are doing as much damage as some of you think we're doing. The number of anglers taking fish off beds to weigh them in simply doesn't come anywhere close to the number of "predators" that do harm to the beds even if the male is there on alert. Simply put...we the Anglers do very little harm to the overall spawn. A largemouth bass alone does FAR more damage to its own reproduction before and after eggs are hatched then we can ever do or even possibly imagine....and that doesn't even account for the unfathomable damage stripers, bluegill, carp, trout, and crawdads do. Sorry guys, but people are being a bit overzealous if you think that we make a dent in the circle of life.. Just my opinion..

cutbait
02-26-2014, 07:32 AM
My own personal opinion is that Bed fishing doesn't hurt the spawn in the least. For every guy bedfishing there is an unfathomable number of carp, bluegill other bass and other fish doing much more damage to the spawn then anglers can ever do REGARDLESS of if the male or female is there protecting the bed or not. And frankly the female doesn't stick around long enough to even be much of a "protector". She drops her eggs hangs for a day and is gone in most cases.
Reason would tell us that we (the anglers) could do damage for the simple fact that once we take a bass off the bed and take it to weighins that we could be hurting that bed...HOWEVER its also Naïve to think that we are doing as much damage as some of you think we're doing. The number of anglers taking fish off beds to weigh them in simply doesn't come anywhere close to the number of "predators" that do harm to the beds even if the male is there on alert. Simply put...we the Anglers do very little harm to the overall spawn. A largemouth bass alone does FAR more damage to its own reproduction before and after eggs are hatched then we can ever do or even possibly imagine....and that doesn't even account for the unfathomable damage stripers, bluegill, carp, trout, and crawdads do. Sorry guys, but people are being a bit overzealous if you think that we make a dent in the circle of life.. Just my opinion..
Good point Pete.

Carp massacre beds. A little local lake here in bako is swarming with slurping carp in the tullies. Sucking every inch for eggs.

I've seen the 10 lb carp bully LMBs off the bed and raid it and the limb is helpless. I'm surprised any hatch

DEVOREFLYER
02-26-2014, 07:45 AM
I agree with Pete and I bed fish and make no apology for it. I also C&R ALL of my fish caught. I would be more concerned with those that deep water fish and do not "FIZZ" their catch before releasing. I have fished in the South many years and the fish are under much more pressure from predator fish than here (Stripers, Gar) and nearly everyone keeps their catch to eat and it does not seem to affect the Bass population.

Stormcrow
02-26-2014, 08:36 AM
I certainly can see both sides of the argument here. I think one of the things Matt is simply trying to convey is that sheer fishing pressure has a significant impact on the longevity and health of a bass fishery. Further, the lake topography itself plays a role. At DVL for example, for every bed you see, there are tons of beds that you will NEVER see or be able to disturb. In this case, fishing pressure has less of an impact on the overall success of the spawn. At Perris though, I fully believe fisherman have a huge impact on a successful spawn. The sheer number of people bedfishing at Perris, combined with the vulnerable topography of the lake makes for a ton of stress on spawning fish that are approached time and again. At Perris there are simply fewer places to bed without being disturbed.

So, whatever you believe, I can guarantee you that fisherman can have a huge impact on the spawn of LMB and SMB in Southwestern fisheries. As a matter of fact, some biologists have roped off high spawning areas in some high pressure lakes to allow for a successful spawn. They don't do this because it makes them feel good....Sorry.

Brent
02-26-2014, 10:58 AM

Pete,

I have a lot of respect for you and I'm not 100% against what you are saying, but knowing how much damage all of the predators do to the spawning bass, eggs and fry, why would you want to do any additional harm. That's all I'm saying.
I just think giving the big girls the best chance as possible to produce more big fish is good for everyone in the long run. Besides, it's a lot like shooting fish in a barrel isn't it?

Brent

cutbait
02-26-2014, 11:35 AM
Pete,

I have a lot of respect for you and I'm not 100% against what you are saying, but knowing how much damage all of the predators do to the spawning bass, eggs and fry, why would you want to do any additional harm. That's all I'm saying.
I just think giving the big girls the best chance as possible to produce more big fish is good for everyone in the long run. Besides, it's a lot like shooting fish in a barrel isn't it?

Brent

Shooting fish in a barrel is fun too!

lobinero
02-26-2014, 12:31 PM
Both points are valid but I have to side more with Pete's side. I practice catch and release .

However, HONESTLY how many of us LMB fishermen are going to pass on a 10 pound bass on a bed ? You see that fish and speed on 5 out of there without attemping to catch that fish?

Come on , time to do some soul search and be honest ........

HuskerRod
02-26-2014, 01:18 PM
Wow, this thread is on page four and it is still a healthy discussion with good valid points, no one challenging another to a fight behind the bushes, and sound arguments on both sides. what is this world coming to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

etucker1959
02-26-2014, 02:10 PM
Both points are valid but I have to side more with Pete's side. I practice catch and release .

However, HONESTLY how many of us LMB fishermen are going to pass on a 10 pound bass on a bed ? You see that fish and speed on 5 out of there without attemping to catch that fish?

Come on , time to do some soul search and be honest ........

It's a funny thing about human nature, in my own studies of fishermen's behavior at local lakes. I've come to the conclusion that many people are just plain selfish and Greedy. So passing up an easy fish on a bed is more then most people can handle. Even if the situation say's you shouldn't do it.

DarkShadow
02-26-2014, 02:16 PM
My own personal opinion is that Bed fishing doesn't hurt the spawn in the least. For every guy bedfishing there is an unfathomable number of carp, bluegill other bass and other fish doing much more damage to the spawn then anglers can ever do REGARDLESS of if the male or female is there protecting the bed or not.

I dunno...the "hey, everyone else is damaging the nests, so why not me?" argument doesn't fly for me.

Catch 'em, release back to the nest, sure.

But, catch 'em, and live well them for the rest of the day, and then release them away from their nests at the weigh in spot? Not so much.

I wouldn't mind if tourney anglers said, "eff the bass, I have money to make and bills to pay." At least they're being honest.

But to say that because other factors hurt spawning fish, thus me taking fish off of them is the least of my concerns? I dunno about that.

noleash
02-26-2014, 02:35 PM
I dunno...the "hey, everyone else is damaging the nests, so why not me?" argument doesn't fly for me.

Catch 'em, release back to the nest, sure.

But, catch 'em, and live well them for the rest of the day, and then release them away from their nests at the weigh in spot? Not so much.

I wouldn't mind if tourney anglers said, "eff the bass, I have money to make and bills to pay." At least they're being honest.

But to say that because other factors hurt spawning fish, thus me taking fish off of them is the least of my concerns? I dunno about that.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=mExIaFUfnZs

noleash
02-26-2014, 03:49 PM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=mExIaFUfnZs

Or maybe this.......www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT8QIapHiqU -

lobinero
02-26-2014, 04:21 PM
I don't intend to provoke/accused anyone or seed a viral thread with my previous post but, It's an honest question for this topic. would you pass on a 10 pounder on a bed?

I expect a myriad of answers claiming yes to no with many if and but in the middle. All boils down to each ones personal level of conservationism, survival of frys, field and lab biological studies, what you read or heard, etc. Some can live with catch, pics and release, others don't. Be honest, would you pull that fish off?

Let's take it to a higher level. You are in a tournament and you see that 10 pounder , that will put you in the money, big time. Would you try to catch that fish? You know it will be in your livewell all day. It may survive, but you know you could risk those eggs on the bed. What would you do? BE HONEST

Pete Marino
02-26-2014, 04:38 PM
Brent.. As I said, I just don't think anglers hurt the spawn very much in the grand scheme of things. Regardless of if at DVL or Perris for instance.
I love bedfishing...when Im out fun fishing during the spawn I do it. Ill catch them and release them.
In tournaments Ill catch the ones that help up my weight. It is what it is..

I truly believe that thinking that its putting a hurt on a fishery is a bit of a "The Sky is falling" attitude.
Bottom line is... We all have our opinions about it..and Im not sure theres a right or wrong opinion.. As I said..It is what it is...
Guys that say they don't bed fish but they fish during the spawn are catching bedfish whether they want to admit it or not...THEY ARE.
There are beds at DVL all the way out to 22+ft of water.. So If someone is there at this very moment casting a bait from 1ft to about 22ft deep or so, then they are catching bedfish quite a bit and not even knowing it.
And at Perris if a guy is fishing anywhere between 1-about 10ft then chances are good that they are catching bedfish as well quite often.

Most tournies have less then 60 teams fishing...lets say half of them (30)are actually bedfishing (1/2 would actually be a high percentage)...and lets say they ALL catch a 5 bass limit OFF BEDS... And they bring ALL said bass to the scales.. That would be about 150 bass.. yes seems like a lot but not alot considering that DVL has more then 30,000 bass in it..I don't remember the number of bass that are projected to be in DVL but Its very high.. probably more then that number.
Pretty insignificant damage if any in my opinion. Most All of the bass are released back into the lake after the tournaments where they can continue the spawning process. The live release rate is close to 100% at most tournaments.
HuskerRod....This is just a good old bass fishing debate with nobody having a totally right or wrong opinion...It is what it is... hey at least the fishing is good.. And for the record..the bite at DVL is WIDE OPEN...

Its bass fishing guys...everyone is entitled to their opinion and everyone is entitled to fish the way they choose as long as its within the regulations of the law. Get out and catch some bass and have some fun!!
DVL is a healthy fishery...Is it the fishery of 2008?? I don't think so, but, Its not because of us anglers. Its because of the high number of Stripers which leads to the lack of bait. That being said...DVL is still one of the best fisheries around. Plain and Simple...

Pete

Pete Marino
02-26-2014, 04:59 PM
Hahahaha No leash...She screamed..."I caught a SPIKE"....hahahahahahah ClASSIC!!

seal
02-26-2014, 06:54 PM
If bed fishing was so easy and catching 10lbs girls was so easy then 5 fish limits at tournaments would have 30+ lbs. limits at every tournament.

I think tournaments should get the exception to the rule. If a lake has too many tournaments with 50 boat entries then that in of itself is a recipe for problems, too much pressure depending on the lake size. But with a reasonable amount of tourney's the girls caught shouldn't have a big impact.

But on the other hand Joe fishermen that is bed fishing and decides to drop them in the live well so that at the end of the day they can have a glory shot, those individuals are wrong in my mind.

I care about the LMB's very much. A couple years back there was a great spawn year at Silverwood, STRIPERS were crashing on fry with abandon, wakes of fish slamming those ugly green fish right on shore! Was a beautiful sight, baby LMB's were committing hari-kari all over the shoreline, oh the carnage!!!!

cutbait
02-26-2014, 07:12 PM
If bed fishing was so easy and catching 10lbs girls was so easy then 5 fish limits at tournaments would have 30+ lbs. limits at every tournament.

I think tournaments should get the exception to the rule. If a lake has too many tournaments with 50 boat entries then that in of itself is a recipe for problems, too much pressure depending on the lake size. But with a reasonable amount of tourney's the girls caught shouldn't have a big impact.

But on the other hand Joe fishermen that is bed fishing and decides to drop them in the live well so that at the end of the day they can have a glory shot, those individuals are wrong in my mind.

I care about the LMB's very much. A couple years back there was a great spawn year at Silverwood, STRIPERS were crashing on fry with abandon, wakes of fish slamming those ugly green fish right on shore! Was a beautiful sight, baby LMB's were committing hari-kari all over the shoreline, oh the carnage!!!!

Warms my heart

Matt_Magnone
02-26-2014, 07:16 PM
i enjoy seeing everyones personal opinions. each in fact have valid points. i probably shouldn't have based my "scenario" on tournament fishing as thats a pretty unfair generalization. tournament fisherman do their best to keep their fish alive in the livewell. i probably should have based it off general fishing as a whole. my bad.

i saw a limit of fish in the livewell of a boat at the shop the other day and had a discussion with a local fisherman which prompted this post.. as much as it kills me to see or say, it is in fact the right to every license holder. as long as these fat girls get released i'm stoked. it just irritates me when i see quality fish get put in the frying pan. Especially this time of year.

seal
02-26-2014, 07:33 PM
i enjoy seeing everyones personal opinions. each in fact have valid points. i probably shouldn't have based my "scenario" on tournament fishing as thats a pretty unfair generalization. tournament fisherman do their best to keep their fish alive in the livewell. i probably should have based it off general fishing as a whole. my bad.

i saw a limit of fish in the livewell of a boat at the shop the other day and had a discussion with a local fisherman which prompted this post.. as much as it kills me to see or say, it is in fact the right to every license holder. as long as these fat girls get released i'm stoked. it just irritates me when i see quality fish get put in the frying pan. Especially this time of year.

Matt all kidding aside but I thought it is not the "right" of all fishermen to use the livewell to keep fish alive. Are the DFG rules not waved for tournaments but if followed verbatim a casual fishermen is not supposed to keep gamefish alive?

seal
02-26-2014, 07:34 PM
Warms my heart

I cried like a baby.

cutbait
02-26-2014, 07:40 PM
I cried like a baby.

I just made a nice warm cup of Chamomile, visualizing what you describe. Its raining outside and I'm going to surf youtube for Stripers crashing bait videos

:Romance:

EDIT....

This guy with the Metallica "ecstacy of gold" gets major props

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G1LtmlWhPc

Matt_Magnone
02-26-2014, 07:43 PM
Matt all kidding aside but I thought it is not the "right" of all fishermen to use the livewell to keep fish alive. Are the DFG rules not waved for tournaments but if followed verbatim a casual fishermen is not supposed to keep gamefish alive?

my bad. the fish i saw at the shop were dead and gold eyed.

lobinero
02-26-2014, 10:20 PM
Totally agree with Pete

Pete Marino
02-26-2014, 10:45 PM
SEAL..I agree fully with your #41 response..

And Matt I can probably guess who that was with the bass in the well taking them home to eat.. But Ill keep that to myself... Im not gonna put anybody on blast publicly if they didn't violate any laws in front of me. Yes hes allowed to keep his limit and usually does if its the guy Im thinking about...but if it is him Ive also heard first hand stories from guys that have fished with him of that guy keeping over ten bass,,, If I saw it, Id have said something to him personally. But I didn't ...
As long as a person is within their legal right of possession then we cant say a word even though we may not like it.. and I personally don't like seeing bass leave the lake...especially 5 much less 10+.

Pete

Matt_Magnone
02-27-2014, 01:09 AM
SEAL..I agree fully with your #41 response..

And Matt I can probably guess who that was with the bass in the well taking them home to eat.. But Ill keep that to myself... Im not gonna put anybody on blast publicly if they didn't violate any laws in front of me. Yes hes allowed to keep his limit and usually does if its the guy Im thinking about...but if it is him Ive also heard first hand stories from guys that have fished with him of that guy keeping over ten bass,,, If I saw it, Id have said something to him personally. But I didn't ...
As long as a person is within their legal right of possession then we cant say a word even though we may not like it.. and I personally don't like seeing bass leave the lake...especially 5 much less 10+.

Pete

haha YEP! sucks but nothing we can do about it. I agree. All we can do is try and educate.

noleash
02-27-2014, 06:08 AM
haha YEP! sucks but nothing we can do about it. I agree. All we can do is try and educate.
Here is some education; After getting my anti snakebite platform I have proceeded to follow the bass from last years spawn to deep water now back to the shallows. Here are my findings from a dam near daily observation. #1 is the fact that the deep water fish on experience is 2 to none and by far is my favorite way to catch a bass! #2 As the bite hade returned shallow it was evident that catching a fish by this means is effortless at best (not a fan) anyway I found that a desperate man will compromise his integrity for a quick ride! :LOL: #3 After a couple bed guards (male) I quickly reeled it up and told myself that If you ever do that again I'm going to cut your F----N D--K off and feed it to a catfish! #4 On my way back to the marina I decided to take a head count of these fish and see what the weekend impact was to be on those fish........Returning on Monday what I discovered WAS DEVISTATING !!!!! The numbers were fickle at best in comparison to pre weekend pressure and the active deep fish were now REALLY DEEP 60 to 70 feet , actually deeper that a typical winter bite! Sure if you drop your trolling motor and bang enough shore you will get a few but if you really new first hand the impact you are having on the fishery A true advocate of a bass fishery would CEASE AND DISISTE immediately!!! Anyway if everyone who reads FNN actually did stay off spawning fish there are 100x more people who surly would partake in a easy catch, pic, and circle jerk that would ensue at a later time....I'm sure!:Big Grin: People can justify their actions anyway they chose and yes if your not breaking any laws do as you chose....However, having grown up in a stat that is relentless in its efforts to preserve its fisheries for today and tomorrows generations I understand the importance of rising above selfish needs to try and do my part for the children of today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!:Idea:

noleash
02-27-2014, 07:11 AM
Here is some education; After getting my anti snakebite platform I have proceeded to follow the bass from last years spawn to deep water now back to the shallows. Here are my findings from a dam near daily observation. #1 is the fact that the deep water fish on experience is 2 to none and by far is my favorite way to catch a bass! #2 As the bite hade returned shallow it was evident that catching a fish by this means is effortless at best (not a fan) anyway I found that a desperate man will compromise his integrity for a quick ride! :LOL: #3 After a couple bed guards (male) I quickly reeled it up and told myself that If you ever do that again I'm going to cut your F----N D--K off and feed it to a catfish! #4 On my way back to the marina I decided to take a head count of these fish and see what the weekend impact was to be on those fish........Returning on Monday what I discovered WAS DEVISTATING !!!!! The numbers were fickle at best in comparison to pre weekend pressure and the active deep fish were now REALLY DEEP 60 to 70 feet , actually deeper that a typical winter bite! Sure if you drop your trolling motor and bang enough shore you will get a few but if you really new first hand the impact you are having on the fishery A true advocate of a bass fishery would CEASE AND DISISTE immediately!!! Anyway if everyone who reads FNN actually did stay off spawning fish there are 100x more people who surly would partake in a easy catch, pic, and circle jerk that would ensue at a later time....I'm sure!:Big Grin: People can justify their actions anyway they chose and yes if your not breaking any laws do as you chose....However, having grown up in a stat that is relentless in its efforts to preserve its fisheries for today and tomorrows generations I understand the importance of rising above selfish needs to try and do my part for the children of today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!:Idea:
Also please note the fact that the relentless assault on adult fish(especially the Big females) has greatly compromised the chances of catching those fish during the off spawning seasons! Motor noises (trolling or otherwise) electronic ping ping and or a giant shadow figure tells these fish DANGER and do to the abuse these fish have endured during their spawning period has conditioned them into an aggressive defensive mode!!!!Why have all the big fish come from shoreline anglers?" DUH" isn't the answer obvious! Why have even the best swim bait anglers in So Cal struggled so badly this year? Do you really think that some of the largest Bass in the state vanished? Do the math for yourselves and draw your own results based on your years of experience as Bass anglers! With the mega masses clawing at the gates of serenity its more important than ever to do any and all things critical to protect what we still have where as in so doing will be there for tomorrow as well :Idea: These personal views of mine are not intended to daaameaner anyone for anything they are just an assessment of my observations as one person trying to catch that bass of a life time site unseen! :Big Grin:

etucker1959
02-27-2014, 11:05 AM
I'm not a Bass fishermen, but I am a regular poster here on FNN. So I know most of the personalities quite well on here. I don't know if any one noticed, but just about everyone here who voiced their opinion on should you bed fish or not?????? Voted in what was their own PERSONAL SELF INTEREST!!!!! Everyone that is except Dev, he just came off as being such a lame bass fishermen, he will catch them any way he can. lol lol lol

PS Sorry Dev, I just couldn't help myself!!!!!

DEVOREFLYER
02-27-2014, 12:44 PM
Well at least I don't chase the "Trout Trucks" or hunt Cougars with a .22 cal. what a sportsman you are. lol

HuskerRod
02-27-2014, 12:48 PM
Hell, I may be the minority here but do I prefer/ and do much better in the deep water summer bite anyways. Yah, I sight fish a few here and there, but all I ever see are "male" shrimps and I usually just pass them up. I dont recall, in all my years, ever seeing a bed fish of over about five pounds anyways. And to keep a bass to eat.....no way.......I'd take "The Real Meal Deal" at Long John Silvers anyday (which is probably just ground up carp anyways). No cleaning, no bones, no mess...........no dice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DarkShadow
02-27-2014, 01:58 PM
I think tournaments should get the exception to the rule...

Me too. But spare me the justifications on why they'll pull fish off beds.

"Mortgage doesn't pay itself." I'd accept that any day of the week.

I'd appreciate honesty, rather than trying to justify the ends to the means, by saying cormorants and carp do enough damage, so why not us.

Stormcrow
02-28-2014, 07:10 AM
I see this has turned into the same thread....different year. LOL

OH MY GOD you know those ads that pop up inside posts on the right hand side? I just saw that I could lease a 2014 Rolls Royce Silver Ghost II for only 2889.99 a month for 60 months! Where do I freaking sign up for that!!???

HuskerRod
02-28-2014, 08:12 AM
I see this has turned into the same thread....different year. LOL

OH MY GOD you know those ads that pop up inside posts on the right hand side? I just saw that I could lease a 2014 Rolls Royce Silver Ghost II for only 2889.99 a month for 60 months! Where do I freaking sign up for that!!???

"Eatcrow"........................and on the right side of my screen right now is an add to lease a dodge Neon for $99 a month.

Stormcrow
02-28-2014, 08:18 AM
"Eatcrow"........................and on the right side of my screen right now is an add to lease a dodge Neon for $99 a month.

Who in their right mind would sign up and LEASE a Rolls for 3 grand a month??????? Whatever company is running the targeted advertising for this site is an EPIC FAILURE...HA!

chompot
02-28-2014, 04:29 PM
Who in their right mind would sign up and LEASE a Rolls for 3 grand a month??????? Whatever company is running the targeted advertising for this site is an EPIC FAILURE...HA!

Who the hell doesn't use Ad Blocker? I do not see any ads.... ever.

cutbait
02-28-2014, 04:44 PM
Mine is lapbandvip.com

HawgZWylde
02-28-2014, 05:04 PM

Well, lol, I get to look at a bunch of hot Asian chicks in bikinis advertising an Asian girl dating site. And as of late, I'm getting hot Ukrainian chicks in bikinis advertising for a Ukrainian dating site. Go figure. I do read a lot of international news though, so Google must tie that in somehow.

As for a Rolls? Meh, they're so old school. I'd rather PO an eco-nut and drive a lifted quad cab 4x4...

Double A
02-28-2014, 05:17 PM
Sun of a $!@&$
Mine is Lapland too.
Are we fat Cutbait ?

DEVOREFLYER
02-28-2014, 05:48 PM
Geeze I'm gettin' an ad for the "Little Blue Pill" wtf is that about?

old pudd fisher
02-28-2014, 07:10 PM
Cuz they know your age and think you are soft boned:LOL:

DEVOREFLYER
02-28-2014, 08:00 PM
Cuz they know your age and think you are soft boned:LOL:

Nope I'm an "A" on the Rockwell Hardness Test. My wife say's I'm a "Diamond in the rough".:Envious:

HuskerRod
03-01-2014, 09:08 PM
Nope I'm an "A" on the Rockwell Hardness Test. My wife say's I'm a "Diamond in the rough".:Envious:

I was beginning to feel like the real deal being as my add was for lumber and flooring. I guess someone sees me as a real handy do it yourselfer. Then a real reality check...add pops up for urinary catheter supply. Whats that all about? My flow is good

DEVOREFLYER
03-02-2014, 07:46 AM
While standing at the urinal if your hose is too short or your pump is too weak. Stand closer or you will piss on your feet. :EyePop:

etucker1959
03-02-2014, 08:41 AM
While standing at the urinal if your hose is too short or your pump is too weak. Stand closer or you will piss on your feet. :EyePop:
I think we now have a new standard to tell when a thread is truly dead!!!! If it starts off talking about should you try to catch a spawning bass on it's bed. When it gets to the place when Dev is talking about how long your penis is and you should move closer to the urinal or you'll piss on your feet. This thread is truly DEAD!!!!!!!

DEVOREFLYER
03-02-2014, 08:58 AM
The question begs Frenchy aka etucker do you stand or sit? I got my money on you "SIT".:EyePop:

flytyingreloader
03-03-2014, 05:10 PM
No bedfishing, and I still stand and deliver.

HuskerRod
03-04-2014, 12:23 PM
No bedfishing, and I still stand and deliver.

just for the record...................I dont use urinary catheters, would never lease a rolls Royce, or keep bass caught on a bed

whiskerfish
03-04-2014, 02:58 PM
Angler's should not target fish protecting beds for what reason? So these bass can reproduce for our enjoyment? So we can simply use them as a 'living tennis ball?' I think tournament fishing is disgusting as well as people fishing simply to sit in the limelight with pics of the fish they've caught. If you catch and release fishermen think you guy are not doing any harm, I'm sure studies of fish mortality of caught and released fish would say otherwise.

Anyone who preaches not to bedfish yet competes in tournaments and/or trophy hunting is a damn hypocrite.

seal
03-04-2014, 03:27 PM
And now for something completely different.

Just when you thought maybe the debate was over for another year.

HuskerRod
03-05-2014, 12:53 PM
Angler's should not target fish protecting beds for what reason? So these bass can reproduce for our enjoyment? So we can simply use them as a 'living tennis ball?' I think tournament fishing is disgusting as well as people fishing simply to sit in the limelight with pics of the fish they've caught. If you catch and release fishermen think you guy are not doing any harm, I'm sure studies of fish mortality of caught and released fish would say otherwise.

Anyone who preaches not to bedfish yet competes in tournaments and/or trophy hunting is a damn hypocrite.

I admit I trophy fish, but I only ever seem to get 2-4 pounders. If and when the day comes where the planets line up and gods bestow a true trophy bass on me I hope to get my fifteen minutes of fame, my pic on the front of WON, on the front of FNN, and my face mugged in the limelight. And after a few pics are taken that lunker will be gently placed back in the water to fight another day and hopefully give another angler that same feeling. Whats wrong with that?????

seal
03-05-2014, 02:32 PM
I admit I trophy fish, but I only ever seem to get 2-4 pounders. If and when the day comes where the planets line up and gods bestow a true trophy bass on me I hope to get my fifteen minutes of fame, my pic on the front of WON, on the front of FNN, and my face mugged in the limelight. And after a few pics are taken that lunker will be gently placed back in the water to fight another day and hopefully give another angler that same feeling. Whats wrong with that?????

You hurt the poor fishy's mouth!

etucker1959
03-05-2014, 02:46 PM

Nothing wrong with that!!!! But if you're willing to accept the scoff of the purists, make sure that big female never gives you the Fin and not bite one of your plastic offerings. Remember to always carry with you some live Crawdads to make sure she will always bite. lol

HuskerRod
03-05-2014, 03:26 PM
When you really stop and think of it, when is it a really good time to catch a bass? In the winter, nope, the bass go deep and you risk pulling them out of those depths and having an airbladder issue. Thus, causing high mortality. In the summer, nope, with the high surface water temps pulling fish out can cause skin disease and trauma. Thus, a high mortality rate. How about the spring, nope, the fish are on beds and you risk interfering with the spawn. That leaves a short three week window in the fall. Go get em...gang!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lobinero
03-07-2014, 12:42 PM
I quite don't understand Whiskerfish post? Obviously an anti fishing post in a fishing friendly site sure will receive a lot of Flak! I respect every one's opinion, it's a free country. However I don't understand the rationale of Whiskerfish's post.

Are you saying LMB fishing is ALL WRONG! You seem to be against tournament fishing, and I wonder if you have experience it. Fishing in a tournament can be a rush to some of us. Draw or team formats push us to excell at catching fish. Just like any competition, we try to excell. When you put a plan together, it works and you win a tournament , it a great moment of satisfaction and a little limelight is great and earned. Winning a tournament is not always luck, but involves knowing your water, baits, presentation and all other aspects. I DISAGREE with you saying it is disgusting. Maybe you should join a local bass club and experience tournament fishing.You might enjoy it.

Why do you say that catch and release is harmfull to the bass population? There are several studies made, but I believe it does more good than harm. Maybe you know of some studies that do show your point. If so ,I't will be interesting to know . You might impart a new conservation practice in all us fishermen.

HawgZWylde
03-07-2014, 12:48 PM
I quite don't understand Whiskerfish post? Obviously an anti fishing post in a fishing friendly site sure will receive a lot of Flak! I respect every one's opinion, it's a free country. However I don't understand the rationale of Whiskerfish's post.

Are you saying LMB fishing is ALL WRONG! You seem to be against tournament fishing, and I wonder if you have experience it. Fishing in a tournament can be a rush to some of us. Draw or team formats push us to excell at catching fish. Just like any competition, we try to excell. When you put a plan together, it works and you win a tournament , it a great moment of satisfaction and a little limelight is great and earned. Winning a tournament is not always luck, but involves knowing your water, baits, presentation and all other aspects. I DISAGREE with you saying it is disgusting. Maybe you should join a local bass club and experience tournament fishing.You might enjoy it.

Why do you say that catch and release is harmfull to the bass population? There are several studies made, but I believe it does more good than harm. Maybe you know of some studies that do show your point. If so ,I't will be interesting to know . You might impart a new conservation practice in all us fishermen.

Here's that profiles one posted thread;

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?47964-Great-Day-at-Diamond-Valley-Lake

Troll? Yup, I think so. Probably some PETA nutjob...

DarkShadow
03-07-2014, 02:56 PM
Probably some PETA nutjob...

The entire "conspiracy theory" angle that you've taken is quite interesting, from a psycho analytical stand point.

Do you blame the left when you get a parking ticket as well?

Matt_Magnone
03-07-2014, 10:30 PM

trollin' with a vengeance.

HawgZWylde
03-09-2014, 08:52 AM
The entire "conspiracy theory" angle that you've taken is quite interesting, from a psycho analytical stand point.

Do you blame the left when you get a parking ticket as well?

Hmm, funny you mention that, I've never received a parking ticket. As a matter of fact I've only had one ticket in my life which I got when our former band had a reunion in San Luis Obispo on a Sunday afternoon and I had moved to Orange county by that time. I had to be to work at 7:00am Monday morning so I left SLO at 3:00am. I was on the 101 in Ventura doing 85mph in my 450SL when I got the red lights. Luckily he only wrote me up for doing 70.

As far as a conspiracy? Come on dude, I think this profiles two posts speak quite clearly and says Troll all over it. And really DS, what has the left got to do with it, I said PETA, not left wing nutjobs, even though most of them are just that...

HawgZWylde
03-09-2014, 09:04 AM
trollin' with a vengeance.

Hey, that has a nice ring to it. I'd like to do a parody and rewrite the words that would fit into this classic song;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw51MNAp9IY

This video is from the '83 US Festival. I was about 10 ft from the stage. 100+ degrees that day. Insanely good concert...

bassnet
03-09-2014, 05:08 PM
Nice Hawg! Screaming for Bedfish!

I see nothing wrong with fishing for 'em, it's not as easy as it sounds. Just make sure you let them go. Take LMV for example- I don't fish it anymore (so bummed), but when the spawn comes around it gets pounded. Hard. Lots of big girls are caught and released and 100 times more males are caught multiple times. Hasn't hurt that little lake in 30 years, still kicking out bigger fish than anywhere. Weird how that lake hasn't stopped producing the big fish like most lakes that go through cycles. Obviously no stripers, consistent water level, and tons of trout are the good things, but pressure during the spawn hasn't slowed it down. Thanks for the Priest video!

James McNulty
03-10-2014, 06:02 AM
Right on!!
Something unsporting to me fishing a fish guarding its nest.
I collect a few old postcards and notice with amazement the number and the sizes of the fish caught a hundred years ago. The fish stringers were immence. It did not apparently take much skill. Hard to imagine going to Catalina with a big hook on the end of a ball of heavy twine on doing the overhead spin and landing (20 - 30 pound) fish after fish from the shore. Hard to believe all the trout that used to be caught in Orange County with the most primative fishing gear. Hard to believe at Pacific Palasades you could fill a horse drawn wagon with Abalone at low tide ($99.00 a pound last time I checked). Just recently saw a picture from 1911 with a notation on the back. Texas (can't remember area) the hunters had noted that they counted 1500 antelope from one vantage point. The photo of them showed them with their rifles and with 9 antelope strung up. Yes I know, they had to hunt to eat but today our numbers vs. their number (whatever species) won't hold up to these take amounts.
Enough of my rant. Just please some for our kids and grandkids. So many things we hunt and fish seem to either get smaller or fewer or both.
Jim in Corona

HuskerRod
03-10-2014, 12:13 PM
Hey,

So you want to get nostalgic. I like the story of when Lewis and Clark were heading west. They had to stop at one point and wait, and wait, and wait.........four days to be exact for a massive heard of buffalo to pass. And how many years later would it be for the buffalo to be blown away into extintion onthe western plains. Now is that nostalgic or what???

FishermanStu
03-10-2014, 12:40 PM
How many of you have actually caught a 5 pound plus fish off a bed? Not many I'm sure of it. If you had you would know it probably took an hour plus. You probably had to reposition the boat multiple times. You probably felt outsmarted by a fish. But I know when she bit and you laid the wood it was the rewarding conclusion to a very intricate game of cat and mouse and mouse puppeteer. So if you don't think that very often times it takes quite a bit of skill to land let alone see a jumbo on a bed I believe your sorely mistaken. Which there r far fewer people harassing bigs than you think. Disclaimer: all the you's in that reply are proverbial you's. Sincerely not directed at any poster. Just food for thought

DarkShadow
03-10-2014, 01:24 PM
How many of you have actually caught a 5 pound plus fish off a bed? Not many I'm sure of it. If you had you would know it probably took an hour plus. You probably had to reposition the boat multiple times. You probably felt outsmarted by a fish.

No, not really. It took about 45 seconds. (But I'm sure this was the exception to the rule)

I threw a fluorescent green jig at it, and it ate it.

I released it, and moved on.

chompot
03-10-2014, 08:25 PM
How many of you have actually caught a 5 pound plus fish off a bed?

I have. I would assume a lot of the guys on this forum with a boat have. If you are fishing beds and 1 doesn't bite you move to the next and try again later. If you fish big (clear) lakes during the spawn you can have multiple fish over 5 pounds saved in your graph for a tournament. Fish Havasu this time of year and it will open your eyes.

Matt_Magnone
03-10-2014, 10:56 PM
when it all comes down to it i guess it is what it is. there's no really changing peoples minds. the purpose of this post wasn't to lean into the typical "once a year rant" but rather to put another perspective to think about when you sit back and look at your lake one day and see nearly every boat on the lake with their trolling motors on high, staring in the water without a rod in their hands. as long as the fish get put back healthy, in my mind, things are alright. it just doesnt sit well with me to hear guys come into the tackle shop telling me they killed it and are taking their 5, legal i know, bass home for a fish fry. again t is what it is and it's perfectly legal within the law.

ive mentioned this to the water district and metropolitan at a meeting in the past. i would love to see them bouy up two coves on the lake in the spawn. one in the north and one in the south. in doing so, i would assume a big portion of fish would be able to do their thing in peace. those anglers that would like to bed fish would still have plenty of water to do their thing as well.

a lot of people ask the question about why the lake isn't fishing the way it did in the past or why it "sucks". yes lakes cycle but its obvious that DVL gets hammered by all the right baits, all the right angles and on all the right spots. its simply angling pressure on a deep clear so cal reservoir. plenty can argue the fact that perris is a much smaller lake, fewer areas and gets hit by twice the amount of fisherman. of course perris is going to be a better fishery based solely on water clarity and available cover. fish are able to spawn with the possibility of never being hooked. look at el cap in san diego vs lake castaic in los angeles. both have a history of huge fish. when you look at them now. i can guarantee you that el cap is pumping 3x's the amount of giants out of it than castaic. both lakes get stocked and both lakes get hammered with angling pressure. besides the striped bass in castaic, the water clarity and cover has given these fish a chance.

im not saying dvl sucks because it 100% does not. fish are very healthy in this lake, they can be caught with regularity but we need to keep it this way and try to manage the resource. i appreciate everyones views in the post and like Dark Shadow, I too can see it from both sides.

im no environmentalist but just someone who cares about the fishery.

Stormcrow
03-11-2014, 12:03 PM
when it all comes down to it i guess it is what it is. there's no really changing peoples minds. the purpose of this post wasn't to lean into the typical "once a year rant" but rather to put another perspective to think about when you sit back and look at your lake one day and see nearly every boat on the lake with their trolling motors on high, staring in the water without a rod in their hands. as long as the fish get put back healthy, in my mind, things are alright. it just doesnt sit well with me to hear guys come into the tackle shop telling me they killed it and are taking their 5, legal i know, bass home for a fish fry. again t is what it is and it's perfectly legal within the law.

ive mentioned this to the water district and metropolitan at a meeting in the past. i would love to see them bouy up two coves on the lake in the spawn. one in the north and one in the south. in doing so, i would assume a big portion of fish would be able to do their thing in peace. those anglers that would like to bed fish would still have plenty of water to do their thing as well.

a lot of people ask the question about why the lake isn't fishing the way it did in the past or why it "sucks". yes lakes cycle but its obvious that DVL gets hammered by all the right baits, all the right angles and on all the right spots. its simply angling pressure on a deep clear so cal reservoir. plenty can argue the fact that perris is a much smaller lake, fewer areas and gets hit by twice the amount of fisherman. of course perris is going to be a better fishery based solely on water clarity and available cover. fish are able to spawn with the possibility of never being hooked. look at el cap in san diego vs lake castaic in los angeles. both have a history of huge fish. when you look at them now. i can guarantee you that el cap is pumping 3x's the amount of giants out of it than castaic. both lakes get stocked and both lakes get hammered with angling pressure. besides the striped bass in castaic, the water clarity and cover has given these fish a chance.

im not saying dvl sucks because it 100% does not. fish are very healthy in this lake, they can be caught with regularity but we need to keep it this way and try to manage the resource. i appreciate everyones views in the post and like Dark Shadow, I too can see it from both sides.

Yes, but you have a beard like a tree hugging hippie!!!! LOLOL I think you are an environmental lobbyist...how dare you!!!

Of course I'm just jealous...I could NEVER grow that.

SilverCarpSuck
03-11-2014, 02:35 PM

Stripers killed DV & Castaic. No striper at El Cap & Perris(besides the rouges). Not too hard to figure out. The bed fishing never helps, but it doesn't even get anywhere close to what the stripers do to a fishery...

SilverCarpSuck
03-11-2014, 02:36 PM
Stripers killed DV & Castaic. No striper at El Cap & Perris(besides the rouges). Not too hard to figure out. The bed fishing never helps, but it doesn't even get anywhere close to what the stripers do to a fishery...

Time for the annual "ALL Stripers need to all be killed" thread :Big Grin:

HawgZWylde
03-11-2014, 03:25 PM

Yup, especially when the lake is drawn way down. It's definitely a Stripey gorge fest down there. Very little vegetation for the fry and juveniles to shelter in. The Gills, shad and Crappy don't fair so well either. Plus throw in the roaming squadrons of huge egg eating Carp. It's sad because the lake was beginning to rebound from the last aquatic disaster...

bassnet
03-11-2014, 09:54 PM
I don't think you can blame the carp for eating the eggs, but they are doing their thing too and the mud they churn up can (and does) bury the eggs of the bass, at least that's how I understand it- silt buries the little guys and chokes them out before they have a chance. Carp have been in all of our water for quite awhile, unlike the jailbirds- I think Castaic is the shining example of what can happen to a trophy fishery if exotics get in there. DVL didn't get the chance to show what she could do before it happened there. Obviously DVL is still a good lake, but I'll take El Cap, Otay, or Perris over DV. I've never fished Miramar but what needs to be said? Guys have been doing the rotation around the lake all spring for years and years. Sucks when somebody keeps a big girl with good genes, same with the calicos on the big pond, but that's always happened. DVL never got her chance to shine on the big stage....

HawgZWylde
03-12-2014, 06:41 AM
I don't think you can blame the carp for eating the eggs, but they are doing their thing too and the mud they churn up can (and does) bury the eggs of the bass, at least that's how I understand it- silt buries the little guys and chokes them out before they have a chance. Carp have been in all of our water for quite awhile, unlike the jailbirds- I think Castaic is the shining example of what can happen to a trophy fishery if exotics get in there. DVL didn't get the chance to show what she could do before it happened there. Obviously DVL is still a good lake, but I'll take El Cap, Otay, or Perris over DV. I've never fished Miramar but what needs to be said? Guys have been doing the rotation around the lake all spring for years and years. Sucks when somebody keeps a big girl with good genes, same with the calicos on the big pond, but that's always happened. DVL never got her chance to shine on the big stage....

Carp do in fact eat LMB eggs;

http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/common_carp.htm

bassnet
03-12-2014, 08:54 PM
It does make sense that the carp eat the eggs, after all they are sucking stuff off the bottom and eggs are probably a good source of food, but I've never seen a carp vacuuming eggs off a bed. Doesn't mean that doesn't happen, but the sunfish sound like a bigger enemy to the bed. Regardless, go out and have fun and release the bass you catch, we'll be okay. I still say the stripers are a bigger problem, but that's just my 2 cents. It could be worse, we're doing pretty well with the low water levels and stuff, and we do have the opportunity to catch a giant that most people only dream of.