PDA

View Full Version : Report - 9/26/07 - Freelance (Davey's Locker, Newport)

zammers
09-27-2007, 10:37 AM
Hey everyone,

My first post here. I have been reading for awhile, waiting for my account to be activated. Now I can post.

Header out to Newport to go on a 3/4 day trip out of Newport Landing on the Patriot. When we got there, they said they had cancelled the trip the night before (weird since we called at 6pm to place are reservations, and they said they had 10 already), so they sent us down the boardwalk to Davey's Locker.

We signed up for their 3/4 day and were excited to get off. We heard talk about them going to Catalina, which I wasn't too happy about - as our last Catalina trip (extended 3/4 day) sucked (we got skunked entirely). When we got to Newport Bait co, they had only Anchovie, so I was a little relieved hoping that would mean we would stay coastal, BUT that wasn't the case. We got to the end of the harbor and turned Right. CRAP were heading North, which means Catalina.

So we began the long 3hr trip across the channel, and headed to just outside of the rock quarry area of the island. The Bonita were biting and so were the seals (UGH!). I managed to nab a 8" Calico (so back in he went)

The captain moved West towards Avalon and we worked our way, dropping anchor several times. Lots of Bonita boils and some landing on the boat. I managed one more Calico all day, my stepdad landed nothing.

Our last stop was around the western point and it was windy as can be. BUT --- I landed my first Bonita - He ran for ever, but I eventually brought him on board. I was pretty excited, my stepfather wasn't there for me bringing it in, as I had moved to the other side of the boat, following my drifting line.

So that at least made the day OK - I hate going to catalina for the 3hrs each way. Which only leave 3-4hrs of fishing.

Several people on board did not want their Bass or Bonita, so we ended up with quite a few fillets in the freezer. Now I just need to figure out how to cook Bonita properly.

I am between jobs right now, and kind of hoping to take a week or so before I start a new job, so we can get out again before my weekdays are busy with work.

Looking forward to going out again and bringing back more reports.

christainmetalhead909
09-27-2007, 10:42 AM
sorry about the crappy trip we went on that baot oin that trip last month and it was the same story. no yellows and fishing was terrible.

oh ya welcome to FNN

Funjunkie74
09-27-2007, 04:58 PM
WELCOME TO THE BOARD! Hope that you keep posting (both good and not so good) reports!! Don't forget to add pictures!! They really help tell the story!!

Californian fish tend to not have a lot of body fat, so when you cook them, if you're not careful, you will end up with hockey pucks!!

If you are a master of the grill, flash grill (super high heat), make your grill marks on the fillet and keep it quick!!

I've become a big fan of smoking this year. Barracuda smoked is to die for!! Bonito is awesome too!! Try it!

Keep them reports comin'!!

FJ74
:twisted:

zammers
09-27-2007, 08:33 PM
WELCOME TO THE BOARD! Hope that you keep posting (both good and not so good) reports!! Don't forget to add pictures!! They really help tell the story!!

Californian fish tend to not have a lot of body fat, so when you cook them, if you're not careful, you will end up with hockey pucks!!

If you are a master of the grill, flash grill (super high heat), make your grill marks on the fillet and keep it quick!!

I've become a big fan of smoking this year. Barracuda smoked is to die for!! Bonito is awesome too!! Try it!

Keep them reports comin'!!

FJ74
:twisted:

Can you recommend how to smoke them. Never tried that before... is it done on a BBQ or do I need to buy a special smoker? My grandfather had a converted fridge when we were grown up, and he used to smoke stuff all the time. I also remember him doing something on the grill, I just don't remember what.

JapanRon
09-27-2007, 09:06 PM
Hi Zammers,

Sorry to hear of your no-so-positive trips on recent moo-moos but I can assure you good days (catching-wise) will come more regularly if you keep at it.

I love Catalina as I like fishing the kelp with plastics but it can be a real heart-breaker too!! At Catalina .... you've just got to use the lightest line to get bit in areas that are hit hard and often.

good luck,

JapanRon

Greg Madrigal
09-27-2007, 09:58 PM
Welcome aboard Zammers.
JapanRon said it best. There isn't a dang 1 of us here that has caught a fish of a lifetime that hasn't been dogged with crappy trips dozens, if not hundreds, of times!

You just gotta put yer time in.

Enjoyed your post.

GM

Funjunkie74
09-27-2007, 11:58 PM
Just use the BBQ you have.
The key is low heat. So I use only about 20 briquettes and about a cup of soaked hickory chips.

Just Google "How to smoke fish" and there are plenty of tips everywhere!!

Remember to post the results!!

FJ74

k3vin_kim
09-28-2007, 12:04 AM
VERY FRIEKIN' FUNNY SLATER. NO KEVIN UNION.

WELCOME ABOARD ZAM.

one_leg
09-28-2007, 12:23 AM
zammers, welcome to the FN message boards. Nice first report.

What they said.

One_Leg