PDA

View Full Version : San Pedro

yakfu
02-19-2014, 11:08 PM
Finally got my 2014 license and decided to break it in after purchasing it 22nd St landing. Didnt plan on a long trip so I purchased a pack of there San Pedro bait company squid and head out to the beach..conditions were flat in the harbor but mothrr nature was putting on quite the wave show on the outside. I launced my yak and floated in 20 feet of water throwing a 3 in storm shad and ended up with a 8 inch King fish...the conditions were to nice for me to stay there so I took a short journey to Angels Gate and was prepping to fish by the lighthouse. I casted out a strip of squid on my one line and engaged the gear and let it sink and swing back towards me in about 6 feet of water. In the mean time I was attempting to tie on another plastic on my other rod. In the middle of my knot the dead stick starts to go tight on the sinker and the rod just doubles over. Classic bite on the drop. So I quickly set the other rod in the holder and grab the dead stick...fish on! After about a minute or so and a few hard head shakes a nice little grump breaks the surface. It continued like this for another 15 minutes or so but I was getting short bit. After abkut 30 minutes the wind started blowing ever so slightly going off shore and I knew it was time for me to call it a day. That little head wind added an extra 20 min to my row time back in. Needless to sy after an hour and fifteen minutes of straight paddling, I was spent...all in all a beautiful day on the water. I have some pretty good shots to share if someone would help me understand how to shrink them down to fit these post...tight lines all.

Ifishtoolittle
02-19-2014, 11:47 PM
Sounds like a fun day! What the heck is a king fish? I know of two, one looks like a sierra mackerel, and the other is a yellowtail.

yakfu
02-20-2014, 02:28 AM
It was a nice day ifishtoolittle...the King fish is an older name for the herring.

sidified
02-20-2014, 03:14 AM
Thanks for the report. Interesting to hear the various descriptions of a King Fish... Now what's a 'grump'??

Ifishtoolittle
02-20-2014, 04:09 AM
It was a nice day ifishtoolittle...the King fish is an older name for the herring.

I see. You sure do like nicknames for fish.

Ifishtoolittle
02-20-2014, 04:10 AM
Thanks for the report. Interesting to hear the various descriptions of a King Fish... Now what's a 'grump'??

This one I able to figure out. It should be a Sand Bass.

TUNAVIC
02-20-2014, 08:46 AM
Cool report,I too think a grump is a sand bass,and I know there's a lot of them there where you were fishing,glad you got back to your launch site thanks.

Cya Tuna Vic

GhettoBasster
02-20-2014, 12:22 PM

I thought herrings were "Queenfish".

badf1sh
02-20-2014, 03:45 PM
Queenfish... Other Common Names: herring, kingfish, herring croaker
White Croaker... Other Common Names: kingfish, tomcod, white tomcod
Barred Sandbass... Other Common Names: sand bass, sandy, ground bass, grump(big supposedly), turd roller

GhettoBasster
02-22-2014, 12:09 AM
Barred Sandbass... Other Common Names: sand bass, sandy, ground bass, grump(big supposedly), turd roller

I see. Thanks. so are the female herring queenfish and the males kingfish?

Ifishtoolittle
02-22-2014, 12:50 AM

Kinda pointless to have two fish with the same name don't you think? lol