PDA

View Full Version : The 2 Northern Most Swat Members hit the beach......

Which Way Out
02-17-2014, 04:59 PM
Q3fishboy and I hit the water for the first time together in a long time. Too long!

Q3, aka Roy, went back to graduate school in Santa Cruz so we don't get to fish together much anymore. Sunday afternoon he calls and says lets fish. Well I had just taken a shower and had fished earlier in the day. We talked about about hitting some locations that could produce a fish or two the next day. Even a Perch would of be alright my me ( eek, did I just say that ) just so we could catch up on whats been going on.
We met up a the AO around 9 am and found ok water, although way to much right to left current. The swell was manageable but after about an hour we knew to move on.

We set out to what I call the Kiddie Pool, an AO that can put out some decent fish from time to time. Arthur knows the location well. Roy grabbed his gear and I suited up and off to the beach we went. Surprised to see 4 other people fishing the spot. They were spread out pretty well so it didn't feel awkward finding a suitable stretch of beach to fish from.

The area was covered with a dense layer of fog and no swell to speak of. Roy tied on a Big Hammer Swimbait and begins and I am throwing the tried and tested LC 110. After what was maybe a 1/2 hour I got hit hard. OH Yea!!! Head Shakes Baby....then run and taking drag. Well its been along time since I have tangled with a shore caught Halibut and after the run to the left and right I began to think it was a Mr Wiggles:Shocked:. But no, Roy reassured me that it was a HB.

Started to get into the skinny water and saw the water boil above the fish. Big flat tail..:Big Grin: No Mr Wiggles today! Like I said earlier no swell to speak of, so it was interesting getting a beach slide going. Sure enough I get it on wet sand and Roy grabs the tail and gets it away from the water the Hook falls out of its mouth...:Dancing Banana:
21 minutes later I hook another albeit much smaller then the first, somewhere around 12"

This was one of the rare times I have out fished Roy. On one of Arthur's text to me was the question, " did Roy catch it?" Yea it was a big surprise to me also Arthur. What, Uncoachable catches a Fish... Maybe that should of been the Thread Title.:LOL:

Thanks for reading my crazy stories. And now a couple pic's and Yes I can get you a knife like that. $$$ plus air fair..:Wink:

Larger Text used for us old guys.

http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx340/WhichWayOut/20140217_140714_resized_zps7295fb0a.jpg (http://s769.photobucket.com/user/WhichWayOut/media/20140217_140714_resized_zps7295fb0a.jpg.html)

http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx340/WhichWayOut/16c2b536-2cc8-4cc3-bc48-a8654f7b4385_zps3f84e9aa.jpg (http://s769.photobucket.com/user/WhichWayOut/media/16c2b536-2cc8-4cc3-bc48-a8654f7b4385_zps3f84e9aa.jpg.html)

http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx340/WhichWayOut/download_zpsb2d4da77.jpg (http://s769.photobucket.com/user/WhichWayOut/media/download_zpsb2d4da77.jpg.html)

http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx340/WhichWayOut/255hb_zps79d3dca0.jpg (http://s769.photobucket.com/user/WhichWayOut/media/255hb_zps79d3dca0.jpg.html)

http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx340/WhichWayOut/20140217_143001-1_zps305ed9b1.jpg (http://s769.photobucket.com/user/WhichWayOut/media/20140217_143001-1_zps305ed9b1.jpg.html)

cutbait
02-17-2014, 05:07 PM
So you took the shotgun today?

Nice fish! I'm jealous

murrieta angler
02-17-2014, 05:07 PM
Well congratulations Bill!!
It's been a while since your last flatty.
I'm glad you were able to hang out with Roy as well...:Wink:
Robert
<><

PONTOON
02-17-2014, 05:25 PM
Bill, It's good to hear that you and Roy had the opportunity to team up on the beach again and even more so to read about your halibut! :Cool:

I'm sure this will put you on the board and I'd say you'll be climbing to the top in no time! :Thumbs Up:

TaperSteve
02-17-2014, 05:27 PM
I'm literally salivating at this very moment!

TS

SP Dan
02-17-2014, 05:41 PM
Congratulations Bill!!!

It's been a along time since I've read a report from you about one of your Hali catches!
:Thumbs Up: Welcome back Brotha! What a healthy looking fish!
Any time that you find that you could use a good wingman .... just give me a call :Wink:!

The filet looks delicious! :Cool: Hmmmmm!

SP Dan <"))><

bachiboy
02-17-2014, 06:41 PM
Nice work out there Bill! I'm guessing there's some parmesan-caesar halibut in the near future for dinner?:Wink:

bassmeister
02-17-2014, 06:53 PM
Nice Butt. Also digging the Chefs Knife looks pretty bad ace.

exfactor
02-17-2014, 07:45 PM
So, does that japanese writing say "don't come home unless you got us dinner" lol. Glad you found the targeted species, and gave Roy some assist lessons. Was beginning to wonder why you kept bringing that game clip. And, your ahead of me.

wahhshoang
02-18-2014, 12:01 AM
Sounds like a great time out there. WTG on beaching that big halibut! Nice sushi knife btw...

kev

Raneman
02-18-2014, 12:06 AM
WTG on a nice flattie Bill! Nothing like seeing that big flat tail to validate your catch. What a rush that must've been, that filet looks awesome!

ErikAllen17
02-18-2014, 01:56 PM
Great catch Bill. Don't forget I'm not that far away from you... if you ever want to fish with someone new, I'm down! How much does a knife that run? I'm thinking about contacting Cold Steel to see what they have in the way of nice filet knives.

Which Way Out
02-18-2014, 06:13 PM
So you took the shotgun today?

Nice fish! I'm jealous

Yep, Took the 9 gauge.....3X3 treble hooks!

WWO

Which Way Out
02-18-2014, 06:15 PM
Well congratulations Bill!!
It's been a while since your last flatty.
I'm glad you were able to hang out with Roy as well...:Wink:
Robert
<><

Way to long Robert. Good to fish with Roy also.
Take care buddy

Bill, It's good to hear that you and Roy had the opportunity to team up on the beach again and even more so to read about your halibut! :Cool:

I'm sure this will put you on the board and I'd say you'll be climbing to the top in no time! :Thumbs Up:

Me on a leader board! That should be NEWS at 11 :ROFL: It would be nice to be on top, but the chances are slim at best.
It was almost like old times having Roy in the water. Somehow you know one of us was gonna get something.
Get back in the water and find something to post up. I might just head down there and join ya. I have the 1st week of March off.

I'm literally salivating at this very moment!

TS
Hey Steve glad to see you over in the Saltwater forum section. BTW it taste as good as it looks.

Congratulations Bill!!!

It's been a along time since I've read a report from you about one of your Hali catches!
:Thumbs Up: Welcome back Brotha! What a healthy looking fish!
Any time that you find that you could use a good wingman .... just give me a call :Wink:!

The filet looks delicious! :Cool: Hmmmmm!

SP Dan <"))><

Big Dan! Well I wish I could promise you a fish after driving all the way up here. I was ( STILL ) shocked to even catch one. It's February after all. Strange how trees are budding out. The waters are getting a lot of sun and causing some local warming. Starting to see some bait fish here and there. We could use some rain that's for sure, but if this keeps up I can't imagine what summers gonna be like.

Nice work out there Bill! I'm guessing there's some parmesan-caesar halibut in the near future for dinner?:Wink:

The old Parmesan Caesar mix, hummm. And a lot of other great dinners.
How's your boy doing. Get him on any Perch yet? That should be fun watch.
See ya buddy

Nice Butt. Also digging the Chefs Knife looks pretty bad ace.

I get that all the time at work.............:Rolls Eyes: PM on the knife.

So, does that japanese writing say "don't come home unless you got us dinner" lol. Glad you found the targeted species, and gave Roy some assist lessons. Was beginning to wonder why you kept bringing that game clip. And, your ahead of me.

Your know her well Mikey. I have to admit its not so bad having to bring home the fish and getting a great meal. Well you already knew that.
You know the game clip, Roy got me that a couple years ago. This was the first good fish I have caught and got to use it. But you caught one last year that broke it in. Also the first good fish on the Seeker Rod as well. Worked perfect.
Get Well soon. You need anything let me know. Maybe I can get Noriko to make you some of your favorite soup.

Sounds like a great time out there. WTG on beaching that big halibut! Nice sushi knife btw...

kev
Thanks Kevin and welcome to FNN. Yea its a nice knife. I only hope to ware it out sometime.

WTG on a nice flattie Bill! Nothing like seeing that big flat tail to validate your catch. What a rush that must've been, that filet looks awesome!

I was in good company having Roy there. Never a dough that fish wouldn't make it on the beach. Roy is a lot like Wingnut when it comes to covering a retreat. No way that fish was going to slip back into the water.
Thanks and welcome to FNN also. Lets see some reports soon.

Great catch Bill. Don't forget I'm not that far away from you... if you ever want to fish with someone new, I'm down! How much does a knife that run? I'm thinking about contacting Cold Steel to see what they have in the way of nice filet knives.

Your more than welcome to fish with us, but to tell you the truth its mostly last minute planning. I didn't even know Roy was in town until late Sunday afternoon. We hadn't fished together in a long time. I thought of calling Exfactor but I knew he's not been feeling well and didn't want to bother him.
Sometimes we hunt fish doing a lot of driving and treking miles on foot just to see unfishable water and move on. Then sometimes its just hit the honey holes. If we plan a day of fishing, we will travel as much as needed to get in the right locations with the optimum conditions on any given day.
The knife, my wife got it for me in Japan last year. Somewhere in the $200+ range. If there's a web site to order from I 'll PM you and post it.

jerryG
02-18-2014, 10:48 PM
Way to go for Which Way Out. Well done Bill. Nice Sushi knife.. Brings back memories.. I worked in a sushi bar for 6 years while I was in college. Carbon steel knives like yours can easily sell for hundreds of dollars. Carbon knives are brittle no flexibility in that blade and it will shatter if dropped on a hard surface. Carbon steel knives require extra care. They need to be dried immediately after every use. If left wet they will rust quickly. Not a bad idea to oil them before storing. Those knives are great though.. Just amazingly sharp and will hold an edge a lot longer than a stainless steal blade.. Nice start to the season Bill and just the begging. May there be many more to come for you in the season ahead my friend.

JerryG

q3fishboy
02-19-2014, 12:29 AM
Hey Bill-

It was great fishing with you again. Look forward to next time. Congrats again on the fish and thanks for lunch.

You said you are taking the first week of March off? I'm thinking about trying to make it down for Fred Hall. See you then?

Roy

Which Way Out
02-19-2014, 06:43 AM
Hey Bill-

It was great fishing with you again. Look forward to next time. Congrats again on the fish and thanks for lunch.

You said you are taking the first week of March off? I'm thinking about trying to make it down for Fred Hall. See you then?

Roy

Sure Roy lets do the Fred Hall show. I just noticed the dates last night. I'll give you a call in the next day or so.

Which Way Out
02-19-2014, 06:50 AM
Way to go for Which Way Out. Well done Bill. Nice Sushi knife.. Brings back memories.. I worked in a sushi bar for 6 years while I was in college. Carbon steel knives like yours can easily sell for hundreds of dollars. Carbon knives are brittle no flexibility in that blade and it will shatter if dropped on a hard surface. Carbon steel knives require extra care. They need to be dried immediately after every use. If left wet they will rust quickly. Not a bad idea to oil them before storing. Those knives are great though.. Just amazingly sharp and will hold an edge a lot longer than a stainless steal blade.. Nice start to the season Bill and just the begging. May there be many more to come for you in the season ahead my friend.

JerryG

Thanks for the Tips Jerry.
Noriko picked up the sharping stone as well. The Local Sushi Chef said he will teach me the best techniques on how to best care for and how to use it. I can see this knife only getting better with time.
Looks like the weather is gonna stay sunny for a few days starting today. No fog or overcast this morning. Hopefully the water will stay consistent long enough to pull another rabbit out of the hat...

Take care Jerry
WWO

Wingnut
02-22-2014, 03:09 PM
Hey Bill, you know that I was only kidding when I asked if Roy caught the legal, right? I knew that you caught it, lol :LOL:
The Kiddie Pool is where I caught my first ever 30"+ Halibut. :Razz:
Well done my friend and the food pic that you sent me looks great! :Envious:
I haven't been fishing much, but will try to head up that way to fish with you guys soon...

anchor3n1
02-24-2014, 11:41 AM
Hi Bill

Your report is great to read and funny as always:LOL: I always look forward to them. Nice Halibut too!

take care,

Nick

Which Way Out
02-25-2014, 07:20 PM
Hey Bill, you know that I was only kidding when I asked if Roy caught the legal, right? I knew that you caught it, lol :LOL:
The Kiddie Pool is where I caught my first ever 30"+ Halibut. :Razz:
Well done my friend and the food pic that you sent me looks great! :Envious:
I haven't been fishing much, but will try to head up that way to fish with you guys soon...

Kidding, LOL. We had a good laugh with that one. I like the kiddie pool, so easy to fish and fun to mess with the tourist.
Cooking the last part of the fish tonight....

Hi Bill

Your report is great to read and funny as always:LOL: I always look forward to them. Nice Halibut too!

take care,

Nick

Thanks Nick, I try to at least be entertaining.

WWO