PDA

View Full Version : Surf City Slob

carpinator
02-15-2014, 07:39 PM
Busted my butt all week with hopes of spending time at home with family and my lovely wife on Valentine's Day. Just thought we were hanging out at the house and cooking up some ribeyes on the BBQ. Woke up friday, and my wife's VD- card said pack your bags and prepare your rod. I'm thinking to myself my rod is always prepared baby. So off we went down to surf city U.S.A. Stayed at a beach side resort, we were drinking a few ice cold ones sitting at the pool with full view of the beach, man this place was boushie. Hit the beach Saturday morning, with rods in hand, the plan was for the wife to chill on the beach and take pictures, while I got some much needed fishing time. The water conditions were decent with 3-4 ft breakers, very warm and sunny for this time of year, water visibility was good, no signs of birds or bait fish and no salad. I tried to work the LC across the trenches with no takers, it was difficult to keep throwing the LC with high surf so I gave up and tried fish crack. No luck on that either, tried using sand crabs, but every crab was gigantic, but they had soft shells so I put one on with 2 lb flourocarbon. The bigger female surf perch were biting and i pulled in 4 before things got slow again, Found another good looking trench and hooked this slob, took me for a nice 10 minute ride down the beach, it was a reel screaming blast. Lost another larger model that peeled line off faster then I could keep up and snapped my line. I promised to come back and avenge my loss. I give much respect to the SFC, these fish fight like hell!!! Oh and thanks to the wife for making it happen, love ya. Released all fish safely to battle another day. See you out there.
http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo353/carpinator_photos/010_zpsf29650b0.jpg (http://s391.photobucket.com/user/carpinator_photos/media/010_zpsf29650b0.jpg.html)

Which Way Out
02-15-2014, 07:42 PM
Perfect and it's only Saturday..

WWO

yakfish51
02-15-2014, 08:11 PM
Great post!

Tim

frankjz
02-15-2014, 08:12 PM
Loved the report...a stream of consciousness blast.

bassmeister
02-15-2014, 08:13 PM
Kudos to your wife. And nice pig SPF from the surf.

bachiboy
02-16-2014, 01:28 AM
Gotta love them surf fishing vacations! Way to go on the great lookin spot.

Don

murrieta angler
02-16-2014, 09:59 AM
Sweet job out there Bro!
I do believe that is the first SFC report this year...:Wink:
With this crazy warm temperatures we are having, it just may be an epic year for the surf fishing.
Thanks for sharing,
Robert
<><

fishshep
02-16-2014, 08:28 PM
Sure is one nice spotfin :Smile:

da crab
02-17-2014, 08:13 AM
Nice! I still am trying to get one of those guys.

Jmericle
02-17-2014, 09:04 AM
My wife would never do such a thing. You're lucky. My wife always tries to talk me out of fishing and spending time with her and the kids. I did say "tries" I have been fishing for over 30 years and I will continue to fish as long as I'm physically able to. The good news for me is I'm getting my son hooked on the surf fishing and now he says he wants to fish with me often at the beach...I love having a son. He will be 5 in May of this year, so he is almost ready to take his first half day trip with me.

sidified
02-21-2014, 01:16 AM
Dang, what a beautiful croaker.. and more beautiful wife..

Wingnut
02-22-2014, 03:01 PM
That's one species that I have yet to crossed off my surf fishing list. :Envious:
Nice Spotfin, congrats! :Thumbs Up: Catch that at HG6 and you'll probably win the derby. :Wink: