PDA

View Full Version : Irvine Lake or SARL

georatm2011
02-14-2014, 05:36 PM
Hello guys, thinking of hitting up either one of these spots this Sunday, I don't fish much at the pay lakes cause I feel they are overpriced but want to give it a shot. Deciding if Irvine is my destination for Sunday or Sarl. Thinking of renting a boat but my go from the shore. Any tips for either lake or suggestions on how to choose, thanks guys.

franny
02-14-2014, 06:05 PM
Irvine is the way to go. Fish quality, size, poundage, scenery......Who wants freeway traffic noise all day long?

Cadillyak
02-14-2014, 06:11 PM
Irvine. Troll it!

MonSteRR
02-14-2014, 06:18 PM
Irvine lake has beautiful scenery, and it's much colder for better trout fishing

esteban1t
02-14-2014, 06:29 PM
im going to be at irvine sunday..
i would pick irvine over SARL any day
people should post up reports tomorrow since there is a tournament

seal
02-14-2014, 06:48 PM
How would anybody know where the best bite is going to occur ahead of time? I'd go where you feel most comfortable, where you enjoy the atmosphere, where you "feel" your dollars are better spent. If you're only barometer for having fun when fishing is catching the biggest fish and the rest of the experience means nothing then maybe sitting by the side of the freeway is your best bet.

Me I'd go to Irvine....

KidTrout
02-14-2014, 06:59 PM
Id go to Sarl any day over irvine. Irvine lake blows in my opinion. Go catch a DD at Sarl.

bassmeister
02-14-2014, 07:33 PM
That's to funny, Irvine is hands down a better fishery than sarl. The vine has just about all the fresh water species that the mud hole is without. I never hear about double digit bass or cats to 70#s or crappie to just under 3 lbs from sarl. Irvine is a more beautiful scene with bald eagles and natural scenery.
Id go to Sarl any day over irvine. Irvine lake blows in my opinion. Go catch a DD at Sarl.

Marley
02-14-2014, 07:58 PM
SARL, and you don't need a boat.

Hotbite909
02-14-2014, 08:19 PM
Sarl trout taste better but Irvine has many more fishing options. If one species is not biting then you can try to fish for other types of fish.

esteban1t
02-14-2014, 08:24 PM

most stocker fish i catch at SARL are around a little over 1 pound, no joke.
at irvine , i have never caught anything smaller than 2 pounds

KidTrout
02-14-2014, 08:54 PM
That's to funny, Irvine is hands down a better fishery than sarl. The vine has just about all the fresh water species that the mud hole is without. I never hear about double digit bass or cats to 70#s or crappie to just under 3 lbs from sarl. Irvine is a more beautiful scene with bald eagles and natural scenery.

Well I don't think he will be bass fish, catfishing, or going for crappie so it doesn't matter. If he really wanted to he could catch a limit of cats at Sarl because they are stocking them and no one fishes for them. So Sarl would be an extremely good option. DD trout for him it is.

KidTrout
02-14-2014, 08:56 PM
most stocker fish i catch at SARL are around a little over 1 pound, no joke.
at irvine , i have never caught anything smaller than 2 pounds

You must not have good luck then. Lots of big ones in there. My favorite lake is Corona and I have been getting quite a few DDs this year. I recently got a 16 pounder and a 11 yesterday so I'm sure Sarl would be a good choice since they get just as good amount of fish in there. You gotta know how to fish it.

bassmeister
02-14-2014, 09:34 PM
Well DD come out of Irvine all the time a 17+ just recently. But it really all boils down to either fishing in a carbon monoxide cherrio bowl or a more natural scene like the Vine. Where ever he chooses I wish him the best of luck.

Well I don't think he will be bass fish, catfishing, or going for crappie o it doesn't matter. If he really wanted to he could catch a limit of cats at Sarl because they are stocking them and no one fishes for them. So Sarl would be an extremely good option. DD trout for him it is.

Ultralight
02-14-2014, 09:59 PM
I am not a frequent visitor to paid lakes but have visited Santa Ana and Corona. The reason I've not visited Irvine is in part it is so huge that it takes a lot longer to learn the lake. And for a infrequent visitor, I could be skunked many times before figuring the lake out. Corona is so small it is really pretty easy to figure out. I think Irvine would be much more pleasant and beautiful - but harder to understand and figure out.

Am I wrong on that?

Thanks,
UL

esteban1t
02-14-2014, 10:13 PM
I am not a frequent visitor to paid lakes but have visited Santa Ana and Corona. The reason I've not visited Irvine is in part it is so huge that it takes a lot longer to learn the lake. And for a infrequent visitor, I could be skunked many times before figuring the lake out. Corona is so small it is really pretty easy to figure out. I think Irvine would be much more pleasant and beautiful - but harder to understand and figure out.

Am I wrong on that?

Thanks,
UL

took me around a couple times to learn where to find cats at irvine , i found 2 spots in the middle of the flats that i always caught fish at, and at SARL its either a hit or miss.

georatm2011
02-14-2014, 10:35 PM
Thank you guys for all of your responses, Iv'e decided on SARL only because the "special" pricing they have going on right now. I have to pick up the tab for my starving student brother. If you have any tips for shore fishing or boat fishing such as gear, spots or stuff like that please let me know. IRVINE will be my next destination for sure, Guasti has been slow so gotta spread the love.

fisherman951
02-14-2014, 10:43 PM
Thank you guys for all of your responses, Iv'e decided on SARL only because the "special" pricing they have going on right now. I have to pick up the tab for my starving student brother. If you have any tips for shore fishing or boat fishing such as gear, spots or stuff like that please let me know. IRVINE will be my next destination for sure, Guasti has been slow so gotta spread the love.

boats are half off at SARL so thats another plus, u will get a lot of different responses but just like ppl have their spots at irvine ppl have their spots at SARL, so just take a pick and enjoy ur day out in the water

georatm2011
02-14-2014, 10:47 PM
Thanks a ton, I am sure we will have a blast, I have Monday off so I won't have to worry about work the next morning : )

Mr T-rex
02-15-2014, 10:32 AM
Pink and white mice tails should be your go to bait Carolina rigged. light gear (2lb test) also if you jig take fire tiger trout kings and that should workout for you, if nothing is hitting chunk some powerbait out there, you have to figure out what they are biting that day and stick with it
Good luck ill be fishing right now at SARL but im working OT today :( ill be there next week at the tourney