PDA

View Full Version : Halibut - Leader Suggestions

Catalina CD
02-14-2014, 04:01 PM
Hooked onto 2 really nice halibut couple days ago, and lost them both due to line breaking. I'm assuming the line broke due to their sharp teeth. I use 30lb braid with a 25lb fluorocarbon leader. Anyone have suggestions on what to use for a leader while fishing halibut? I would rather not lose anymore this way:Crying:

bassmeister
02-14-2014, 04:48 PM
Hooked onto 2 really nice halibut couple days ago, and lost them both due to line breaking. I'm assuming the line broke due to their sharp teeth. I use 30lb braid with a 25lb fluorocarbon leader. Anyone have suggestions on what to use for a leader while fishing halibut? I would rather not lose anymore this way:Crying:

May I ask what type of knot do you use? I have landed some pretty big buts on as small as 8 pound line. Where is the leader breaking? Can you tell if it is close to where you tie your lure, in the middle, or where you make braid to leader connection?

Catalina CD
02-14-2014, 07:01 PM
May I ask what type of knot do you use? I have landed some pretty big buts on as small as 8 pound line. Where is the leader breaking? Can you tell if it is close to where you tie your lure, in the middle, or where you make braid to leader connection?

I use the standard "fisherman" knot. It's breaking near where the hook is attached to the leader. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's not the knot coming undone because the line has a clean break. Line would be "kinked" if it was the knot going bad. However, I'll take any knot suggestions you might have. I'm fairly new to saltwater fishing. Been a freshwater guy most of my life.

bassmeister
02-14-2014, 07:15 PM
Hey bro one thing about fluro is that it doesn't like constricting type knots, it is a very hard line and when the knot tightens to much in a clinching fashion it can cut into itself, do u moisten the line with saliva before drawing tight? If not the line will burn itself from the friction and weaken the line. Halibut have more of a dog like tooth so the break may look more roughed up rather than a clean break.

benichi
02-14-2014, 08:12 PM

I agree I would try a different knot I use "fishing fool" Best knot I have found but you have to wet it with spit before you pull it tight or it will weaken the line!! I catch them with 10 lb braid and 10 lb flouro leader

bassmeister
02-14-2014, 08:40 PM
I agree I would try a different knot I use "fishing fool" Best knot I have found but you have to wet it with spit before you pull it tight or it will weaken the line!! I catch them with 10 lb braid and 10 lb flouro leader

I forgot about the fishing fool knot, haven't tried it yet. I've been lazy and use the Palomar since it has worked so well but have to try the FF knot.

ErikAllen17
02-14-2014, 10:44 PM
I use Palomar for everything as well. It's been tested as one of the highest strength to line ratio knots out there. Something crazy like 97-99%.

bassmeister
02-14-2014, 11:08 PM
The other night north American fisherman did a test with the Palomar and the Trilene knot and they both tied! I just like the Palomar because even in low light and my nearsightedness, I can tie it LOL. But any knot you tie with the flour moistening with saliva is the most important thing to remember as I do with mono to.

I use Palomar for everything as well. It's been tested as one of the highest strength to line ratio knots out therSomething crazy like 97-99%.

benichi
02-15-2014, 12:35 AM
I use Palomar for everything as well. It's been tested as one of the highest strength to line ratio knots out there. Something crazy like 97-99%.
one thing with the palomar knot is if you use flouro you have to make sure it is wet (spit on it) and then cinch it down. because it is a cinch knot lots of people have it fail with flouro. The palomar is my knot on drop shot but anything else it is the fish-n-fool. the fish-n-fool knot is proven to be a stronger knot with flouro line. palomar knot is a braid line knot. Im not telling you im just giving info for other people.

Palomar Line to Lure 15 lb line
Monofilament 17.37 lb breaking
Braid 17.36 lb breaking
Fluorocarbon 15.11 lb breaking

Fish-N-Fool Line to Lure 15 lb line
Monofilament 18.87 lb breaking
Braid 16.27 lb breaking
Fluorocarbon 15.99 lb breaking

http://video.fishingclub.com/video/Fish-N-Fool-v-Palomar-Knot

benichi
02-15-2014, 01:05 AM
I use the standard "fisherman" knot. It's breaking near where the hook is attached to the leader. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's not the knot coming undone because the line has a clean break. Line would be "kinked" if it was the knot going bad. However, I'll take any knot suggestions you might have. I'm fairly new to saltwater fishing. Been a freshwater guy most of my life.

most likely it is breaking at the knot with flouro if your line slips a little bit with flouro it will snap clean not pull out like mono and leave the curly line at the end try the fish n fool knot and let me know how it goes. it is a much better knot then the fisherman knot

also what flouro are you using? im very picky because i have tried some really bad flouro line

Catalina CD
02-15-2014, 06:47 PM
I use Seaguar brand fluoro. Appreciate the knot suggestions. I use the palomar knot for braid. Have to check out this Fish-n-fool knot...never heard of it.

bassmeister
02-15-2014, 07:05 PM
Look up North American Fisherman Knot wars. You can look back on all the Knot wars and see how to tie them. I believe Seagur to be good line is it fresh and not old? And how have you kept it stored? As with most mono and Fluro you don't want it to get hot and dried out. As stated with both just moisten knot before drawing tight you'll notice a big difference.

I use Seaguar brand fluoro. Appreciate the knot suggestions. I use the palomar knot for braid. Have to check out this Fish-n-fool knot...never heard of it.

benichi
02-15-2014, 07:21 PM

seaguar is a great brand but this is funny seaguar blue label i tried and had it snap alot kind like what your saying for no reason. but seaguar premier is awesome big differences for me anyways. but the best i have found for 20 lb test and under is sunline fc sniper. i have had the 10 lb get snagged when drop shoting and we could not get it to break off had to actual cut the line with a knife ever since that i have used it and time after time it show how great it is...

exfactor
02-15-2014, 07:26 PM
and quit pulling so hard! Butts aren't gonna spool you, nor dog you bad, take it slower

ErikAllen17
02-15-2014, 07:33 PM
palomar knot is a braid line knot.

Braid is all I use. When I use mono or fluoro, I spit right in it's face for not being braid! Not only does it hurt the mono and fluoro's feelings, it makes them that much stronger!!! :ROFL:

benichi
02-15-2014, 07:48 PM
braid is all i use. When i use mono or fluoro, i spit right in it's face for not being braid! Not only does it hurt the mono and fluoro's feelings, it makes them that much stronger!!! :rofl:

:LOL: nice!!!

Which Way Out
02-15-2014, 08:02 PM
The other night north American fisherman did a test with the Palomar and the Trilene knot and they both tied! I just like the Palomar because even in low light and my nearsightedness, I can tie it LOL. But any knot you tie with the flour moistening with saliva is the most important thing to remember as I do with mono to.

My issue as well with the nearsightedness.
As long as you get the double parallel lines set next to each other, the Palomar knot will hold on most any diameter line. And one more thing,,,,Fresh line! Age and Sunshine will take its toll on it. Don't go cheap.

WWO

bassmeister
02-15-2014, 08:05 PM
and quit pulling so hard! Butts aren't gonna spool you, nor dog you bad, take it slower

That's for sure take your time and enjoy the fight. The fish will wear out before you do.