PDA

View Full Version : Help a Chicago guy hit some fish?

Gonefishing88
02-13-2014, 05:26 AM
Hey everyone I'm from Chicago and ill be visiting my sister in Westminster a lot. Maybe relocate to there if I can find work. Anyway I am going to be in the area this next week and I wanted to get out with my dad and do some fishing. I have heard to try seal beach and some other locations. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for me. I am looking to buy my tackle and gear there and leave it at my sisters house since I plan on frequently visiting and fishing. I'm not looking for anyone's honey holes just some guidance from some friendly anglers. For example are any piers producing fairly well or surf fishing from beaches. I have never fished the ocean other than charters but I do have some big water experience with Lake Michigan. Good baits to use or lures. Are the piers accessible during night to fish for rays and shark? I'm not a picky angler I just want to catch some fish while I'm there. Everything will be catch and release since I'm not sure what's good to eat or legal limits. I'd rather respect the fisherman and release the catch for them to get bigger and be caught again. Is the pier surf or harbor fishing even good this time of year? Should I get a charter instead? I'd rather not but if they have been doing Well I may. I e been looking at fish counts and watching videos and reading posts I'm doing my research not just asking for a handout. But it's always good to ask first hand what is going on. I'm simply trying to catch some fish and enjoy the ocean while I'm out there. It would be great though to catch some fish with my father and have a good time with some family I haven't seen in a while. Also I'm trying to get my nephew who lives out there to start fishing.

muskyman
02-13-2014, 06:03 AM
Hey guys please help a fellow bears fan out da bears !

Gonefishing88
02-13-2014, 06:27 AM
Hahaha DAAAAA BEARS! Thanks musky man nice to see there's some bears fans out there.

Nipple Twister
02-13-2014, 09:58 AM
Start here: http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?41710-So-you-want-to-catch-halibut-from-the-surf

....and being your in Westminster, Seal Beach to Newport Beach is prime territory. Visit Big Fish Tackle in Seal Beach on PCH and Seal Beach Blvd, they got some killer surf gear and one of the best selections of Lucky Craft lures.........

Good Luck, Happy Hunting and post up your reports.......welcome to the show......:Cool:

Cadillyak
02-13-2014, 10:13 AM
I am a fellow Chicagoan as well. Wish I could help, but my stomping grounds are down in San Diego. If you find your way down here, I would be more than happy to help you land some fish.

ErikAllen17
02-13-2014, 11:12 AM
I am looking to buy my tackle and gear there and leave it at my sisters house since I plan on frequently visiting and fishing.
Since it sounds like you don't have any tackle in mind, I'll suggest a few things. If you plan on only fishing a couple times a year, then a $30-50 rod/reel combo from a sporting goods store will suffice. Just make sure you wash it with freshwater when you're done and it will serve you for many years. It certainly won't be the best out there, but for a couple times a year, you won't notice the difference. If you plan on fishing a couple times a week or even a month, I would recommend stepping up the gear. Go to a tackle store... don't buy a combo set as usually one of the two pieces are junk (usually the reel). Go buy a 2-piece spinning rod, start with at least 7' and go as high as 8'6". I have no idea what kind of a budget you have, but a Shimano Clarus is a popular choice for a rod and will run you about $100. As far as a reel, get whatever you can afford. You will want a 2000-3000 size reel to go with the rod. I'm a Shimano guy, so I'd recommend a Sedona, Sahara or a Symetre. They range from $60-100. Others might chime in on other brands... but Shimano is what I know and use.

I'm not looking for anyone's honey holes just some guidance from some friendly anglers. For example are any piers producing fairly well or surf fishing from beaches.
Best bet is to just hit the sand and fish. Every beach holds fish... and if you're not targeting a specific species, then just go for perch. They are like training wheels for fishermen. Rig up a caroline rig with a 2" Gulp! camo sand worm (aka crack) and you should start reeling in fish one after another! Pier fishing is another way to go, but I find that fishing off a pier is best left as conversation fishing as opposed to active fishing. You'll sit and wait alot more while fishing the pier, leaving you time to converse with your dad. You'll normally catch more baitfish than fish, but you'll have more time to talk with your dad. If you want to wait for the fish to find you, this is the way to go. If you want to go find the fish, then get your feet on the sand and cast and cast until you can't cast anymore. You'll be walking up and down stretches of beach spanning for miles looking for that hole where the fish are hiding. But when you do find it, be ready for a treat! This sort of fishing is very active and doesn't lend itself to casual conversation with fellow anglers.

Good baits to use or lures.
As far as bait, anything that fish eats works: squid, mussels, crabs, etc. As far as lures, you'll notice the acronym LC on here... it stands for Lucky Craft. It's by far the most popular hardbait on this site. There are also Krocodiles (it's a spoon like a Kastmaster) as well as Big Hammer swimbaits. Just do a little reading. None are better than the other... it all depends on what the fish want on the particular day you're fishing. It's best to have knowledge on how to use as many as you can and have them in your arsenal for when you're on the sand and nothing else is working.

Everything will be catch and release since I'm not sure what's good to eat or legal limits.
As far as good to eat from the surf... most people on here try for halibut. White sea bass is also supposed to be good, however, I've never tried it. Surf perch are not great, but if you batter them up enough, you can mask the taste a little. If you're lucky enough to hook into a legal cabezon, those are fantastic!!! For regulations and legal size limit, see the regulations page of the DFG website (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/regulations.asp).

Is the pier surf or harbor fishing even good this time of year? Should I get a charter instead? I'd rather not but if they have been doing Well I may.
The winter is the slowest time of year... but that doesn't mean there isn't still good fish to be had. You can always find bigger and better fish on a boat. So if you have the means to jump on one and fish from it, do it! However, there are still plenty of fish to be had off the shore. That being said, surf perch are at peak right about now and since our winter wasn't really winter, the waters have remained warm and alot of the fish you normally wouldn't see are still hanging around.

Best bet... just get out there and wet a line. Good luck out there!

bassmeister
02-13-2014, 02:17 PM
Hey Gone fishing Send me a PM. I live in Torrance and have fished Huntington and Long Beach a ton. I'll be glad to take you guys fishing fresh or salt. I have two boats and we can figure out something.

Scott

Hey everyone I'm from Chicago and ill be visiting my sister in Westminster a lot. Maybe relocate to there if I can find work. Anyway I am going to be in the area this next week and I wanted to get out with my dad and do some fishing. I have heard to try seal beach and some other locations. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for me. I am looking to buy my tackle and gear there and leave it at my sisters house since I plan on frequently visiting and fishing. I'm not looking for anyone's honey holes just some guidance from some friendly anglers. For example are any piers producing fairly well or surf fishing from beaches. I have never fished the ocean other than charters but I do have some big water experience with Lake Michigan. Good baits to use or lures. Are the piers accessible during night to fish for rays and shark? I'm not a picky angler I just want to catch some fish while I'm there. Everything will be catch and release since I'm not sure what's good to eat or legal limits. I'd rather respect the fisherman and release the catch for them to get bigger and be caught again. Is the pier surf or harbor fishing even good this time of year? Should I get a charter instead? I'd rather not but if they have been doing Well I may. I e been looking at fish counts and watching videos and reading posts I'm doing my research not just asking for a handout. But it's always good to ask first hand what is going on. I'm simply trying to catch some fish and enjoy the ocean while I'm out there. It would be great though to catch some fish with my father and have a good time with some family I haven't seen in a while. Also I'm trying to get my nephew who lives out there to start fishing.

murrieta angler
02-13-2014, 06:10 PM
Hey Gone fishing Send me a PM. I live in Torrance and have fished Huntington and Long Beach a ton. I'll be glad to take you guys fishing fresh or salt. I have two boats and we can figure out something.

Scott

Good Job Scott :Beer Toast:
Robert
<><

bassmeister
02-13-2014, 10:02 PM
You're welcome to roll or float as well brotha!!!

Good Job Scott :Beer Toast:
Robert
<><

Homefish
02-13-2014, 10:40 PM
Da Bears!

If u wanna fish the beach when u r here let me know. My Old Man & Brother live in that area, so I hit the sand in HB 1 or 2 times/month. I can set u up w/all u need other than your fish'n license.

Gonefishing88
02-14-2014, 04:28 AM
Wow thank guys I'm going to find out how to send a pm and start messaging you guys. It's great to make some friends in this area even if I don't get enough time to fish with everyone this time there will be plenty of trips to get together with you guys. I wish my chitown site was as hospitable as you guys. This is how anglers should be. You guys are great I can't say it enough. Now let me try to figure out this messaging. Lol. I'm also wondering do any of you ever night fish?

bassmeister
02-14-2014, 01:32 PM
got your message just fine. I texted you so you have my number and feel free to call so we can make plans.

Scott