PDA

View Full Version : New to castaic lake, tips welcome

luckyjr21
02-12-2014, 12:37 AM
With two trips under my belt to castaic lake and no stripers to show for it :Skunk:I figured I'd turn to my fellow FNNrs for advice , it's seems like I'm close to being on the right track but just need some guidance for a successful trip , I've doing plenty of homework on this and learned allot but still have a long way to go , I've been fishing cut sardines and nigh crawlers at the bottom and swim baits on the top but nothing yet .
So any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated since I plan to return there soon , no quitting here.
Thanks in advance :Fishing Hole:

Stumpknocker
02-12-2014, 08:51 AM
When baitfishing, use light fluorocarbon line and small hooks.

luckyjr21
02-12-2014, 08:58 AM
When baitfishing, use light fluorocarbon line and small hooks.
I have been using #8 green mono , thinking that it was light enough not to be seen and strong enough to get them out of the deep waters, as far hooks ive been using #2 for the cut sardines.
ill definitely go lighter next trip , thanks

paDDy
02-12-2014, 10:08 AM
Higher TroutOnly for the day. He will get you on fish and then use the same techniques you learn on your boat. Speed up your learning curve. If not meter schools and use 4lb-6lb test.

cutbait
02-12-2014, 12:04 PM
First you have to remember its early Feb.. barely out of Jan....

After dealing with that realization it should make you feel better.

I fish 4 lb on bait. Stay with it, you'll get on em. Remember the bait reports are from fisherman that know the Castaic bait bite than anyone. Don't compare your trips to theirs.. I would befriend those guys as soon as possible. Great guys and would be helpful if asked

luckyjr21
02-12-2014, 12:23 PM
First you have to remember its early Feb.. barely out of Jan....

After dealing with that realization it should make you feel better.

I fish 4 lb on bait. Stay with it, you'll get on em. Remember the bait reports are from fisherman that know the Castaic bait bite than anyone. Don't compare your trips to theirs.. I would befriend those guys as soon as possible. Great guys and would be helpful if asked
thanks for the advice, and like I said no quitting here I know I'm just going through the usual new lake New species skunks just like everyone else, one thing for sure is I'm swapping out my #8 asap, thanks for all the info I knew I could count on my fellow FNNrs

Mr T-rex
02-12-2014, 12:34 PM
Take me with you Lucky. fished Castaic a lot when I was a kid and would kill stripers and catfish so lets saddle up and go budddyyyy

luckyjr21
02-12-2014, 02:06 PM
I didnt know you still fished MrTrex.

Mr T-rex
02-12-2014, 03:49 PM
Was just there on Saturday lucky while you were getting skunked..

flyman
02-13-2014, 12:01 AM
Hey bud, what up. for shore fishing:
recently i have been walking around with lures getting a good exercise out of my trips but i use to bait fish a lot so i know a little bro. bait bite has been good on the dam, all the way in the end. i see people fishing there all the time catching fish. i caught a couple there myself 3 wks ago using frozen anchovies from marina del rey landing bait co. and they worked great. using 6 lb p line. Ok so right now with the high winds the hardest part is casting the bait sometimes, but right before casting wait for a good time where the wind dies down that second and bang cast out far as you can 25 - 40 ft is good. some people fly line, i prefer putting weight. Also keep an eye out for Castaic Gallion Corner when they have fresh bait once in a while and they are very nice people to get some insight as well on the bite recently, you dont have to go to Martina Del rey to get some bait, i drive by there sometime so it works for me. good luck out there bro and yes giving up is no good, we all learn something from skunks and when applying a different strategy to our next trip makes its an adventure. share your report when you catch em .peace out

luckyjr21
02-13-2014, 11:17 AM
unfortunately I don't get to fish this weekend, due to Valentine's day, but ill be out there for sure next weekend , and I'll be on renting a boat. ( shore line fishing is so limited) I know this weekend would be a good weekend to go because of the trout stocking. thanks again for all the advice it's much appreciated, and keep it coming I'm sure many other fellow FNNrs are picking up good tips from this thread too. as for me I realize be that my gear and line is just too heavy , don't you just hate it when you have to buy new gear, hahaha.

Stumpknocker
02-13-2014, 02:53 PM
You could just buy some fluorocarbon leader and put a few feet on the end of your 8 lb. mono...save time & money and it'll work.

luckyjr21
02-13-2014, 03:10 PM
The problem with that is that i have been marking fish really deep and i was using a symetre 2500 which does it not allow me to put enough #8 to get to the bottom , For the last couple years i have been fishing mainly trout with #2 line and have brought in some big ones (3rd place at the irvine mlk masters qualifier-13.25 lbs not that im bragging or anything like that:Cool:) on that line so im familiar with finesse fishing and the importance of a good drag system and a good rod , so that's my plan of attack isto fill up my reel with #4 and use a #2 leader Carolina rigged with 1/4 sliding sinker or straight #4 flylined . ill make sure to post a report of my results .

Mr T-rex
02-13-2014, 05:36 PM
Make sure you invite me buddy

The problem with that is that i have been marking fish really deep and i was using a symetre 2500 which does it not allow me to put enough #8 to get to the bottom , For the last couple years i have been fishing mainly trout with #2 line and have brought in some big ones (3rd place at the irvine mlk masters qualifier-13.25 lbs not that im bragging or anything like that:Cool:) on that line so im familiar with finesse fishing and the importance of a good drag system and a good rod , so that's my plan of attack isto fill up my reel with #4 and use a #2 leader Carolina rigged with 1/4 sliding sinker or straight #4 flylined . ill make sure to post a report of my results .

loweboat
02-14-2014, 03:34 PM
If you rent a boat, I strongly advise you to bring 100 to 200 feet of extra anchor rope. Also a portable fish finder would be helpful.

flyman
02-15-2014, 01:15 PM
If you rent a boat, I strongly advise you to bring 100 to 200 feet of extra anchor rope. Also a portable fish finder would be helpful.

that is a good idea, one problem, the anchor, i rented a boat once, and there was a metal handle of some sort attached to a 30 ft rope in those rental boats. so dont forget to get your own anchor too. anyone know where to buy a regular size anchor pls advise, i have been looking for one so i can rent out a boat soon too! lol

Nuoc Mam
02-17-2014, 10:22 AM
What i usually fish with is 10lb spectra with some 4lb top shot, gets the job done and you can pack alot of spectra on that 2500 size reel.

Good luck out there.

luckyjr21
02-17-2014, 01:53 PM
What i usually fish with is 10lb spectra with some 4lb top shot, gets the job done and you can pack alot of spectra on that 2500 size reel.

Good luck out there.

Thats what i might just do , Ive heard that spectra last forever, cant wait to get out there already , counting down the days .

koifish
02-18-2014, 01:25 PM
I give you guys a quick report on bait and wait this morning. It was very slow day. a couple of guys using long pole with weight and cast very far. They used sardine and caught some good sizes 5 lbs plus stripers.

I used my old style flyline on sardine with 4 lbs test. Caught only this good size. I only fish from 8:30am-12pm

My sardine was 2 months old. fillet the belly with bloody. cast out and slow retrieve.

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y368/phamlcuong/20140218_110257-2_zps70ffd02e.jpg (http://s1030.photobucket.com/user/phamlcuong/media/20140218_110257-2_zps70ffd02e.jpg.html)

good luck