PDA

View Full Version : Castaic Slay 2/8/14 & Bald Eagle

DMS
02-10-2014, 07:52 PM
It was a great weekend. Lulu scored a couple passes to see Bela Fleck with a String Quartet as CSUN Friday night, so I left work a bit early to hit my sardine place... Unfortunately, they were OUT of frozen dines... fortunately I had enough in the freezer to go another week. Got the charger running and everything ready and headed out to see the concert. Fleck is a truly amazing musician, but the music is really subdued. I have never seen a banjo played like that and it was really very, very good, but my legs were stiff and it was a long week. After the show, we headed to bed as I was hopefully optimistic about the fishing even though we have had more "bad" weather. I feel they are wanting to stop biting, but maybe we get another good day.

In the morning, we arrived at the lake a little after 7 and the line was gone. Looked like they had a tourney as the bass boats were buzzing all around. Dumped the boat in the drink, parked and headed off to the spot.

As we headed out, I noticed BassFan was out there by himself and it looked like the fleet had repositioned in the area I was fishing, but I was not deterred and dropped anchor. As soon as I got anchored I heard my name and Capt and Fishinone were out there on the point. I think Ron got a big one, but the bite was slow until our rods got going. We got a bit of a good bite going, even a couple doubles! Good fishing.

It seemed the boat traffic knocked out the bite as they simply shut down. We had 10 fish by 10:45 or so and only added 4 more in the next 3 hours.

I figured that we could pick a few more off if we stayed a few more hours, but it was time to call it as the bite seemed done. So we bit Capt and Fishinone adieu and wished them well. Ron tipped me off that the bald eagle was catching more stripers than most of the fleet, so I told Lulu, we would get a birdwatching bonus after we pulled the hook.

Before we pulled anchor, I pulled the plug on the well and took the deck shot. As soon as I iced them down we got fish #14, so the photo is one short... but it looks like the rest of the jailbirds.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s13/mythreesticks/IMG_2582_zps46b9659f.jpg

We ran over to say hello to BassFan and he seemed to have been having a very nice day, but mostly early. I think he had some bigger ones. He had seen baldy and we looked around to find him hanging out.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s13/mythreesticks/IMG_2584_zpse136d12a.jpg

We slowly approached with the binoculars and could see his eyeballs... He looked back at us as if to say, leave me alone and took off over our heads for a great flyover.
Lulu could read his wing tags... #16.

Back to the barn and cut/clean... Sunday continued the great weekend with Tai Chi, a great nap, playing some guitar and then off to Long Beach to see the band Chicago. We got to hit the meet and great and had 3rd row seats.

It was a great weekend. It made going to work today really hard!

DMS

Brewfish
02-10-2014, 08:59 PM
Very cool! Congrats on a great blend of outdoor and cultural stuff. I THOUGHT I saw a bald eagle last week but thought I was imagining things...

CAPT'N
02-10-2014, 09:58 PM
Congrats on dome nice line sides. After you and Lulu left, the bite picked up for us.

Saw Bela Fleck and the Flecktones along with Chick Corea return to forever years ago at the Hollywood bowl.

Capt'n

TroutOnly
02-10-2014, 10:01 PM
WAY TO KILL THEM DAN AND LULU,,,,,,,,,,,,,,MY TURN IS COMIN,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,,

trail blazer
02-11-2014, 03:40 AM
WTG fellow striper gurus!

You both always find a way,,,,impressive.

Thanks for another great report.

TRAIL BLAZER